Nook touch or ipad2 or ipad3?

MohitPreet

Skilled
Ahhh.... finally logged in and posting after a long time on TE , to get some tech advise ofcourse
tongu23e.gif

ok , so the big question here is wat to get - the nook or the ipad (2or3) , Basically i m looking for a tablet for reading books.

i have just started my postgraduation in Radiodiagnosis and need a ebook reader for radiology books, i have downladed some pdf books, some of which are over 500mb in size and all these are very image intensive books i.e; X-rays, CT and MR images, so i want to know which of these will suit me the best given the fact that all these r mostly black n white images , need good black n white image rendering tablet,

And if i have to chose between ipad 2 and 3 which one should i get ,yeah i have heard a lot about retina display, but how much of this is helpful for reading over ipad 2??

i almost bought an ipad2 16gb wifi only using that 10% ebay coupon last week, but backed down at the last moment after seeing apple india home page stating new ipad 3 starting price of 30,500 from 27th april onwards.

all my colleagues , want me to get an ipad 3 , coz it is latest and basically they dont know what nook or kindle is, they know only of apple and ipads and iphones
tongu23e.gif

budget is not a concern here , i just want an ebook reader which can render good black n white images.

over to u guys, thanks

iPad 3 IMO. The display is amazing. Although, the iPad 2 isn't bad either. The ebook readers fail badly when it comes to pdf files, especially large ones with lots of images.

ok and wat about the E-ink thing that is so talked about , i have read in some many reviews that its easier and relaxing to read on a nook than on ipad2/3 because the e-ink is more crisp and more paper like rather than backlit screen of ipads??

ok and wat about the E-ink thing that is so talked about , i have read in some many reviews that its easier and relaxing to read on a nook than on ipad2/3 because the e-ink is more crisp and more paper like rather than backlit screen of ipads??

Yes. E-ink is much easier on the eyes, but the cons of e-ink readers especially with regard to your usage will offset any advantage it offers. E-ink readers render pdf files (especially those with many images) very poorly.

Don't go for E-ink if your priority is images. Just go for iPad 3 since you don't have any problem with high price. Even if you don't like, you can always sell it off at almost same price at you bought
<

Kindle and other 6" e-ink devices may not have screen sizes that would accomodate your books. Try Kindle DX - this is the device for reading A4 size material.

Reading text on an e-ink device is way superior and comfortable compared to an LCD. Even an LCD from Apple
<
manufactured by Samsung or some korean, taiwanese company.

The only thing I would check for would be how clear your images are on the Kindle DX screen. In image resolution, LCDs are clearly ahead.

How many hours do you read in a single stretch? That is the key factor. There is no LCD that won't strain your eyes after reading for more than an hour or two. LCDs are good for playing games or watching videos and you can look at them for several hours at stretch while doing these things, but reading text is a different matter. If you are in the habit of reading for long hours, then I think e-ink would be the way to go.

Notion Ink Adam has a Pixel Qi variant that might be of use to you if PDFs support is the only thing against a e-ink based reader.

+1 for iPad3; it has amazing display. Dedicated ebook readers won't be able to properly reflow or render PDFs with images. E-ink is soothing on eyes and comfortable to read under sun however, if your primary purpose isn't served, then the whole point is lost.

Here's a link to a similar discussion: http://gdgt.com/question/what-handles-pdfs-better-nook-or-kindle-fwp/

You can't go wrong with iPad, even if you do, you can always resale it as #[member='avi'] said
<
However, before buying go to a store like Chroma, and check out the available devices.

I use Playbook primarily to read ebooks (majority of them contains images) and although the stock Adobe reader sucks, but the 7 in screen in itself is good enough (+ portable, low glare, ideal dimension for reading) for most type of PDFs that I come across.

A good reader app also helps. Playbook has ported Repligo and qPDF along with the native Adobe reader. For Android devices, Repligo is a good reader. For iPad, think GoodReader is one of the better apps for PDFs.

ok , guys , so finally reading and discussing a lot on this topic, i finally went to apple store to have a look at ipad 2 and ipad 3 , and honestly i didnot find much difference between the 2 screens , may be i dont have an eye for it , cant seen any pixels on either of the screens , the only thing i noticed was that the ipad 3 was considerably warmer than ipad2,

so finally please suggest shud i get ipad 2 or ipad 3 , internet surfing and ebook reading are my primary aims, and not pictures , videos or gaming , FINAL DECISION - PLEASE HELP!!R

ok , guys , so finally reading and discussing a lot on this topic, i finally went to apple store to have a look at ipad 2 and ipad 3 , and honestly i didnot find much difference between the 2 screens , may be i dont have an eye for it , cant seen any pixels on either of the screens , the only thing i noticed was that the ipad 3 was considerably warmer than ipad2,

so finally please suggest shud i get ipad 2 or ipad 3 , internet surfing and ebook reading are my primary aims, and not pictures , videos or gaming , FINAL DECISION - PLEASE HELP!!R

I did the same thing that you did. Went to store to check what iPad 3 was all about and i did not notice much difference. Got an iPad 2 instead. I just love iPad 2. The experience was never so much good on my (now sold) touchpad.
I would suggest saving money and getting iPad 2. At least i did that and got a wifi + 3g instead and still price was less than what i would have paid for the iPad 3 wifi only.

Ipad 2 should suffice. Since you weren't able to find much difference in their screens, its better to get the 2 and save some money.
Go for the Ipad 2!

If you dont find a major difference, just get the iPad2. Its awesome for reading medical books with color pictures etc, though even a cheaper android tab will suffice :)

Almost the same price? Really?
Don't go for E-ink if your priority is images. Just go for iPad 3 since you don't have any problem with high price. Even if you don't like, you can always sell it off at almost same price at you bought
%3C

Guys!!!!
Are you serious....
There is a difference of day-night for the display comparing 2 and 3.
The smaller fonts and the crisper rendering cannot be missed at all..
But one important thing....
The demo units have documents with lesser text and bigger fonts which doesnt make us to know the difference....
Side load some intense pdf files... and compare both..
you can read in ipad 3 the wholepage view clearly...

(For the record, I use 80% zoom on my galaxy note with UCbrowser, if that is too small for some...then I think i have marginally better vision)

Back