Not getting complete internet speed

Hi,

I hope you are all fine.

I just subscribed to a 150mbps Internet plan, but I am not getting above 95mbps on my Laptop. But I checked the speed on my friend's laptop (it's the latest laptop) it was showing almost 150 MBPS speed.

Why is it so? Is it because of my laptop?

My Laptop's Specifications:

Microprocessor
2 GHz Intel Core i3-5005U with Intel HD Graphics 5500​
Microprocessor Cache
3 MB cache, 2 cores​
Memory
4 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)​
Video Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 5500​

Hard Drive
1 TB 5400 rpm SATA​

Network Card
Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN​

Wireless Connectivity
802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth 4.0 combo​

Operating System:
Windows 10 Home (64-bit)​

Thanks for the help.

Have you tried with an Ethernet cable?

Edit: Just realised you don't have Gigabit LAN. Yes, in that case its definately your network adapter. I need to connect to the 5ghz band on my router to get full speed.

Last edited:
@MrDanielHansen

Yes, the network adapters of your laptop are indeed responsible for the bottleneck.
  • Your ethernet adapter can only deliver up to 100 Mbps. Unfortunately, you can't update the built-in module without upgrading the motherboard itself, but you can opt for a USB 3.0-based gigabit adapter.
  • You have a 802.11b/g/n AKA 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi 4 card, which means you can't go beyond 300 Mbps (100-120 Mbps in real life scenario). Unlike the ethernet one, this card can be upgraded.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump an old post but I have similar issue, my laptop can only reach 100 mbps but I have seen it reaching 700mbps in friend’s laptop.
I have checked the adapter options and it does show the Gigabit in settings but in status I only see 100 mbps.
Both the above adapters are from realtek but my friend has some gaming adapter

Sorry to bump an old post but I have similar issue, my laptop can only reach 100 mbps but I have seen it reaching 700mbps in friend’s laptop.
I have checked the adapter options and it does show the Gigabit in settings but in status I only see 100 mbps.
Both the above adapters are from realtek but my friend has some gaming adapter
Check the ethernet cable, it can be 2 pair.

What is your internet plan's speed?
How are you connecting your laptop and your friends laptop?

Yup, do that.

Also check this. If you're on
on Windows 10, click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.

In the list of network connections that opens, select the connection you are using to connect to your ISP (wireless or LAN). Double-click on the connection.
images (3).png

Check Speed: _______
Does it say Gigabit?

If the plan is much higher than 100 and one is getting capped at 100, then it almost always means that the system is operating at 100mbps LAN which can be various reasons.

Auto negotiate doesn't mean Gigabit. Your NIC is Gigabit capable but doesn't mean it is running at Gigabit now. It will shift down to the limiting component in your chain.

See the Ethernet Status window in my above post.

You can do any of the two -

1. Leave everything as is and just remove you laptop and put friend's. If he is getting full speed then problem is with your device. reinstall drivers in your machine, clean ethernet port of your laptop.

2. Try changing things (wires/ports on router) one at a time and test to find out what is limiting.

It can very well be a 2 pair wire. Can you send a picture of ethernet wire connector here?

If your ethernet connection says 100mbps, or 10/100 then your port is maxed out at 100. You will need a new NIC to utilise that 1gbps speeds. And a cable with CAT 6 and above of good quality to ensure you get max speeds on LAN.

If your ethernet connection says 100mbps, or 10/100 then your port is maxed out at 100. You will need a new NIC to utilise that 1gbps speeds. And a cable with CAT 6 and above of good quality to ensure you get max speeds on LAN.
He does not need a new NIC as his NIC supports gigabit speeds. If ethernet connection status says 100mbps, it doesn't necessarily mean that his NIC is 100mbps, it simply means that the device (router/switch) and/or the cable does not support Gigabit speeds as we already have established that his NIC supports gigabit speeds. Also any average quality cat5e cable can support gigabit speeds.

Last edited:
i am assuming your router is 5ghz and i see that your laptop doesn't have a 5ghz radio.
try this.

check if your phone has 5ghz wifi. if yes connect that to your router on the 5ghz band, now connect your phone to your laptop and activate usb tethering.
do a speedtest, if your speed comes around 140-150 then you isp is not to blame.

after this look at upgrade options for the wifi card in this laptop or you may also consider a usb dual band adapter

Back