Note II vs Nexus 4

zhopudey

Skilled
I was earlier thinking about N4 vs N7 3G. Have dropped N7 from the race, but now I've added Note II as a contender :p Here's what I've thought out till now -

N4 Pros -
  1. Fastest updates, straight from google.
  2. Faster cpu and gpu.

Note II Pros -
  1. Bigger screen
  2. Bigger battery
  3. MicroSD
  4. USB -OTG
  5. Cheaper hdmi-out. MHL cable is available for 350/-. Slimport cable is $30 right now :p
  6. Better camera (I use my phone as camcorder)
  7. Available right now (with local warranty)
  8. S-Pen features (don't really know how useful this'll be to me)
  9. Multi Window (I'm sure this'll get ported to the N4)

Based on this, I'm sure I'll enjoy the note II more than the N4, at least for a year. The problem will start when the N4 will get a major update and the note will be stuck with JB. CM11 will be there, but that'll mean losing out on s-pen and maybe multi window and some other things. Current Note/ Note II users, what is your experience with custom roms?

Don't be mistaken. Note 2 is faster by nearly 2k on quadrant. Outta the two devices you've mentioned, note 2 is the phablet to choose, undoubtedly.

Note 2 is a flagship phone, updates will definitely come for it, albeit delayed.

Don't be mistaken. Note 2 is faster by nearly 2k on quadrant. Outta the two devices you've mentioned, note 2 is the phablet to choose, undoubtedly.

Note 2 is a flagship phone, updates will definitely come for it, albeit delayed.
w00t. the nexus 4 benchmarks were screwed up because of the app not being optimized for Android 4.2. Look at the LG Optimus G benchmarks which has the same RAM, CPU and GPU as the nexus 4 but with Android 4.1. It scores ~1-1.5k higher than the Note II on quadrant.

In terms of OS support, I'd suggest the Nexus 4. Samsung doesn't release proper source code for its devices. CM10 for the Note I still doesn't have working project butter and lots of other problems. In fact, the dev said it might not ever have stable CM10. I expect the same for the Note II after 1-2 software iterations.

USB OTG would be available on Nexus 4 with a custom kernel, it is available for the Nexus 7 as well. As for multi window, there are lots of video players that now support a pop out feature.

The S Pen isn't very useful IMO. My mom has the Note and hasn't taken out the S Pen ever.

i thougt of posting a similar thread. I almost zeroed on note 2.

Note2 Pros over N4

1)Removable battery
2)SD card slot
3)Bigger screen Size and battery.
4)Available easily in india wit warranty(So peace of mind )
5)S pen
6)Brand value

N4 pros over Note 2
1)Dev support
2)10k INR price difference.

They are two completely different beasts. The SPEN feature is if you are gonna do a lot of drawing or hand written notes. Dev support for the note is pretty good, CM10 based ROM's have been out since ages for Note 1 and are as stable as they will be. Most of the S-PEN apps have been ported and working in CM10.

Note II Pros:
1. Duh bigger screen, better for watching media and reading books (which you do quite often).
2. A much better battery life (this would be Note's selling point)
3. Micro SD slot, yeah you have a good screen, and the hardware capable of playing anything. But best of luck with storing HD files in 16 gb.

Nexus 4 pros:
1. Half the price of Note 2 :p
2. S4 pro SOC
3. Faster software updates

Frankly speaking I would go for Nexus 4 (if you can actually buy it for 350 USD), but at 30k+ (ebay prices for Nexus 4), a Note 2 makes sense if you are fine with the size. The battery life is much better then other android phones.

Frankly speaking I would go for Nexus 4 (if you can actually buy it for 350 USD), but at 30k+ (ebay prices for Nexus 4), a Note 2 makes sense if you are fine with the size. The battery life is much better then other android phones.

The Nexus 4 16gb would cost $400 (s&H + taxes). The Note 2 was for 32,500 in HS18's superdeal. I can wait till it appears in a deal again.

However, as manu1991 said, custom roms are never perfect.

S pen is definitely useful.o mean for those who use it, there is nothing out there in the market that is even close to it. I am an architect and i feel the Note was made for me! :p

I spent some 30 minutes with NOTE 2 today and to tell you honestly, I was little disappointed. Not sure if you guys have noticed or not but I felt that the screen was lot more blurry in Note 2 than in the original note. the icons felt less sharp and the text wasn't as crisp. I really don't think I am thinking of buying it anymore.

On another note, the S3 screen looked lot better. May be due to better pixel density. I really was hoping the moving away from pentile matrix would have made things better. I was wrong.

Vasishta,its may be this one does not have a pen-tile panel. This will answer to your question . Its contrast and Brightness is lesser than Note II . But overall performance wise if i were to compare it with Nexus 4 . My money would go to Note II,this is despite the fact that i am an iphone user.

You actually have to see it to believe it. I liked the NOTE-1/S3 screen like 5 times better than the NOTE-II. Can't really put the expression into words but I disliked it so much that I immediately left the idea of getting the NOTE-II

You actually have to see it to believe it. I liked the NOTE-1/S3 screen like 5 times better than the NOTE-II. Can't really put the expression into words but I disliked it so much that I immediately left the idea of getting the NOTE-II
Frankly speaking I feel pen-tile display or RGB matrix becomes irrelevant at 285ppi. I have the Note, and I saw the Note 2, I liked the Note 2's screen. However I am yet a little inclined to the extra 80 pixels width note 1 offers. People who use the S-Pen, its visibly better in Note 2.

Zhops, the custom ROM's are very stable for Note 1, and should be the same case for Note 2. People keep talking about original android experience, but CM is built over original Android builds, and works exactly similar. Yep the initial builds will be buggy, but they get stable pretty quickly, there are a quite a few CM based ROM's for Note 1 where S-PEN apps are working too now.

I have seen the IPS screen on HTC One X, its beautiful but while watching videos I would yet prefer the natural blacks of S-AMOLED.

I have seen all three phones, read all the reviews, And I have to disagree, Note 2 screen is noticeably better than Note's screen and I felt S3's was as good as Note 2.

Back