iOS Writing / Note taking app for iPad with some specific needs

JMak

Yeah.. I am at it ;)
Adept
Hi
Recently switched to an ipad
Looking for an apple pencil friendly writing app
My needs are

I should be able to upload a specific jpeg file{scanned copy of my prescription pad) over which I can write.

The app should have the ability to make multiple copies of the same jpg or document that I ll upload so that I can use the same format over and over again to write with the apple pencil.

The app should be able to export the document in proper A4 size so that it can be printed properly

All in all as soon as i import the jpeg i should be able to format and resize it to a full A4 size paper in the ipad and once the document is written I should be able to send it via email or WhatsApp as a jpeg or pdf as a proper A4 sized full page document.

On Android I used to use Squid and on ios currently using metamoji note
As i am on ipad now hence need an app that can do all, and the app should be getting regular updates and features too (metamoji note has not been updated in last 2 yrs, though it still works alright)

Already tried one note and notepad plus etc.
Don't wish to opt for unnecessarily bloated and complicated apps like notability or good notes as my usage is pretty limited and simple

If its free good but can buy as well if it has all the features that i want.

Squid was awesome but unfortunately they don't have an ios app at all.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
From what you are asking for, the options are goodnote and notability. They are not complicated or bloated. I use them almost everyother day.

On the iPad, I also like noteshelf. Though all are paid, they are thankfully not subscription models so I am happy.

OT Alert : Had you been on Samsung Tab S series, the Samsung Note software would have served all your needs and best of all, it is regularly updated and comes free.

From what you are asking for, the options are goodnote and notability. They are not complicated or bloated. I use them almost everyother day.

On the iPad, I also like noteshelf. Though all are paid, they are thankfully not subscription models so I am happy.

OT Alert : Had you been on Samsung Tab S series, the Samsung Note software would have served all your needs and best of all, it is regularly updated and comes free.
Well foe the time being i m pretty happy with metamoji note and its doing well too

The biggest hitch is it hasn't been iodate since last 2 years.

About samsung well nothing can match ipad plus apple pencil as far as writing experience goes, it's just awesome that's why spent 38.5k just for the sake of writing the prescriptions tbh

Can you tell which among the two thta is notability and good notes can serve me well...

Export as full page a4 for print is a must

Tl;dr Goodnotes

I would say Goodnotes since it gives you the option to set the size of each notebook. You can then export or print directly.

I haven't seen page size options in Notability. There is a round about way of doing it (by creating a document of the desired size and then importing it) but I don't think it is worth the hassle.

As far as the writing experience is concerned, I have both and barely see a difference between the two (for basic writing, I prefer the convenience of Samsung - ease of use and better in built apps and all) but then, perspectives.

After years of using both, I always tend to pick Samsung first. The way the pen functions and the way we can use multi Windows and whatsapp and call and easily annotate screenshots... for me, it beats ipad hands down in convenience. I think you just need to figure it out..

PS: What's your specialty?

Fellow members
Troubling you again
I am yet to buy notability or good notes tbh.
Tried one of those on a colleagues ipad and i wasn't that happy considering my use is pretty limited tbh.

I am again explaining what I wish to do.
I have made a soft copy of my prescription myself ( just felt like giving it a try) using photoshop, made a high resolution jpg and made it in A4 size.

All I want to do now is import it in an app write over it and then send it to my front desk as an email... The mandatory requirement is that it goes out as a proper a4 size pdf... Thats it

If you folks can suggest a simple yet decent app for such a purpose.. Where the image can be permanently set as background and with one click many copies can be made of it into a notebook...

Would be grateful

Otherwise will buy good notes or notability whichever is more simple and practical

Thanks once more

I use an iPad with Apple Pencil for a lot of note-taking and whiteboarding + attaching scanned documents.

So far, it's been a combination of 'Notes', a native app for using the scan feature, convert them into jpg or PDF, and later put them on Microsoft Whiteboard which syncs to my work laptop in realtime.

Other worthy mentions Mural and Miro, both are paid apps offering a free trial.

Note: All the app I have mentioned are 'Collaborative' apps best suited for meetings, sharing ideas but do have capabilities to meet your requirements.

Just wanted to update that I got notability After all
Works great for my usage
Been using since April

Last edited:
Back