Android Now that LG is wrapping up, wish to buy LG G8X as my last LG purchase...

Sad to see them leaving the smartphone market. LG holds a special place in my memory as my first Android phone was an LG Optimus. Don't remember the model number but it was white. Probably Optimus L9 P760 or L9 II.

First I had a Nexus 5, amazing phone used it for almost 3 years and went for LG G4 thinking it will be as good as Nexus.
Man I was mistaken, pathetic battery, software issues- had to change it within a year.
From that day onwards I will not touch LG even with a barge pole.

Yeah, it's quite surprising that in spite of being so good in the smartphone market, LG is looking to wrap up its smartphone business. Bad news for those who have already brought LG smartphones because LG might be cutting down the number of service centers as well. So while you can get LG smartphone at a pretty good price now, you need to remember that in case of any issues in warranty period, you may need to travel some distance to get services. Also, after the warranty is over, you would have to rely on local shops for the repair and I don't think locals are still acquainted with the concept of duals-screen LG smartphones or LG Wing smartphone.
So while LG is wrapping up, why buy LG smartphones? You can go for other good brands out there in the market. With LG not being in competition, I think it would offer a fair bit of advantage to the Chinese brands. Realme has recently launched mediatek-powered Realme 8 series and Xiaomi is also launching some good smartphones. If you do not like Chinese devices, you can always go for ones like Samsung and Motorola etc. However, going for LG even after it is looking to wrap things up does not sound too reasonable.
Simply coz you ll get flagship features with a quirky design of double screen in a very very nice price.
LG on its site has detailed everything so i am not that bothered.
Lets see if the prices drop i. Next few days or may be weeks for that matter.
For me the phone is a good buy new at 20k and used at may be 14 to 16k

I have owned two LG phones- the first one was an LG Optimus 4X HD and the second one (which is my backup phone) is the LG V20.

The Optimus 4X HD was owned by me from 2012 to 2017. Nice hardware, screen and camera that was ruined by the lousy Tegra 3 chipset. This one was turkey if I had ever seen one. GPS never worked properly, the audio quality out of the stock music player was awful and this was useless for playing games since it doubled up as an induction hotplate within 5 minutes of running any C/GPU intensive task. Changing to a custom ROM didn't help either no matter which one I tried. Performance, thermals and battery life were always horrible. Fed up of this, I had changed to a Blackberry Z10 by 2015 and the Optimus 4X HD was just doing backup phone duties like Navigation and ride hailing (since the Z10 didn't do those well at all). The Optimus 4X HD finally died on me during January 2017 when I was trying to hail a cab. The motherboard had gone kaput and now it's at my home serving as a fancy paperweight.

I got the V20 mid 2018 from a very nice member on TE. I was using a Redmi Note 4 by then, but bought this for some very specific reasons. I needed a phone that had dual SIM slots, a dedicated memory card slot AND that did audio on headphones well. The V20 did all those and some more very well. The only drawbacks for the V20 are the undependable battery life and the poor thermals (its sustained performance is not impressive at all). I would have seriously been using as a daily driver if not for the above two drawbacks. Other than that, the V20 has been quite awesome. This phone is anti consumerist in a lot of ways- cool industrial design, removable batteries, manual controls for the cameras, dedicated memory card and dual sim slots, USB 3.1, seriously good headphone jack output (I even sold my Clip+ because of this), high quality and loud speaker output (even though it is not stereo) and unmatched microphone recording quality. Very unlike most of the phones today that have planned obsolescence built in.
When I got the phone, its performance and battery life were concerning. However, I managed to find out an LG service center in Bangalore that was kind enough to courier two original spare batteries with GST invoice at a very reasonable price. After that, this phone has been running smoothly. I use it nowadays for listening to music on my HD25-s and watching YouTube.

One thing that was common for both phones that I owned was that LG's software support is awful in terms of frequencies, security patches and version updates. Both the Xiaomis and even the Blackberry that I owned did better in those aspects. However, what I have noticed is that the updates didn't seem to break any existing functionalities (especially on the V20). Whatever they gave seemed to be bug free and worked fine.

Anyways, I would say that getting an LG now is a good idea for those who know what they are getting into. Examples:

1) Dedicated high quality DAP: LG V20 onwards. (Not recommending V10 due to the boot-looping issue and the lousy SD808)
2) Rugged, high quality content creators phone: LG V20 (great for videos and audio recording, removable batteries is useful as new batteries can be swapped in on the spot).
3) Compromised Dual Screen on the cheap with good DAP: LG G8X.
4) Gimbal+something very weird: LG Wing.

I wouldn't recommend these as daily drivers without compromises. The compromises would be things like lack of timely software updates and security patches, slower and more sluggish software skin as compared to Pixels and OnePlus models (and even Xiaomis) and generally poor battery life. If one can live with those things, these can be competent daily drivers. But, in the end, I feel that these excel for someone looking for something specific as mentioned in the above 4 examples than a daily driver in general. I would miss LG for all the innovations that they had brought to the table and personally, for doubling down on audio quality.

So it starts. May be worth it if you think it will last. I am assuming the 5-year service is a FK thing, so probably you won't get any benefit out of it. Also I suppose custom ROMs would have a tough time working with that interface, so would be totally dependent on LG to provide some kind of software support. They said they would support it for 3 years but they also made promises about regular updates in the past without fulfilling them.

LG Wing Gets Massive Price Cut, Up for Grabs at Rs. 29,999 | Technology News (ndtv.com)

So it starts. May be worth it if you think it will last. I am assuming the 5-year service is a FK thing, so probably you won't get any benefit out of it. Also I suppose custom ROMs would have a tough time working with that interface, so would be totally dependent on LG to provide some kind of software support. They said they would support it for 3 years but they also made promises about regular updates in the past without fulfilling them.

LG Wing Gets Massive Price Cut, Up for Grabs at Rs. 29,999 | Technology News (ndtv.com)
wow thats crazy pricing and wing seems so much fun. I might go for it as I do need a phone but I am not sure how durable it would be with falls etc.

Cutoms roms could work if lg releases the blobs and propriety stuff though but who knows

I think the G8x is a better phone and a better value than the Wing.
Me too.
Also direct link to Flipkart sale.
A concern should be the battery imo. Also factory charger is slow at only 13w. My main concern for a premium smartphone is chip first then battery.
If this was a 5000mah then it would be so damn popular. That SoC seems very good.
I wish the other models were also on sale.
Moto G60/100 are nowhere in sight.

Last edited:
Owing to a better processor and more practical design g8x is pretty good.
Whatever I have been able to dig up the battery isn't bad at all of one isn't too he'll bent on sucking it up
The camera results especially in manual mode are very nice as well.

This is for single screen use. Over time, almost everyone ends up using the second screen less and less. I haven't used mine for more than 2 months now.
My mother uses both screens and she needs to recharge it by noon, obviously. She is not giving up the second screen anytime soon though I have asked her few times already.

My mother uses both screens and she needs to recharge it by noon, obviously. She is not giving up the second screen anytime soon though I have asked her few times already.
I am sure she is loving the experience, what matters here would be how much screen on time the phone is giving... As long as it's decent, one can't complain.

On another note, seems flipkart is in no hurry to dispose the 8x stock as there has been no reduction in the listed price.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Some times she watches two videos at same time - one on youtube and other on vanced. :D
How does that work? I am not able to play 2 videos simultaneously , even on different apps. Whenever I have tried, one out of the two videos pauses on it's own. How does the audio work for that instance?

How does that work? I am not able to play 2 videos simultaneously , even on different apps. Whenever I have tried, one out of the two videos pauses on it's own. How does the audio work for that instance?
Well, I think she watched a video on one screen and scrolled on the 2nd and then played the video on 2nd while scrolling on the 1st.

Also, this was only once or twice I saw her doing. Mostly she plays video on one and job stuff/whatsapp/facebook on the second.

Ek sawaal, Kya bachpan mein dono haathon se pele jaate thhe? :hilarious:
ek hath me belan aur doosre hath me jhadu se ...
On another note, seems flipkart is in no hurry to dispose the 8x stock as there has been no reduction in the listed price.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

g8x is always in demand due to dual screen quad dac combo so I am not sure how low it will go maybe to old 20k bbd price. But i think you might see good discount on velvet which is a good phone too in its own right !

Last edited:
Back