NTFY - really easy way to send notifications to yourself

gourav

Skilled
I have been using NTFY for a while and I thought I'll just post about it. It's a very useful piece of software if you're running home automation scripts. It allows you to send notifications to phone or PC. You can even add quick actions to the notification.

I run the server in a docker container in my Synology NAS. Once running, there's very little to do on the server itself.

To receive notifications, download the NTFY app on your phone. Configure the server URL in the app. Now subscribe to any topic. The best part is that you don't even need to create topics anywhere. Just subscribe to it, then use the same topic in your script.

For instance, let's say you have a temperature sensor, and you want to notify yourself when temperature goes over 30. In your script, just send a POST request to http://ntfy.url/temp_alert, where ntfy.url is your server's URL.
Then on your phone, subscribe to the topic temp_alert. You'll start receiving the notifications. There's no separate configuration required on the server.

It's a very easy to use application, very little configuration and zero maintenence headache. Documentation is also pretty good, with code snippets for many languages.

Back