Graphic Cards Nvidia 4000 series owners - safe to use 12VHPWR adapter?

m0h1t

drinks like a fish
Skilled
Just bought the Zotac 4080 super trinity OC. There was this whole episode of 12VHPWR connectors melting a while ago. I mostly remember that being a case of cable not fully plugged in.

Is there is still any major issue with the 12VHPWR connector? and is it safe to use the bundled 3x 6+2 to 12VHPWR adapter supplied with the card?

The melting occured when the 12VHPWR connector was not fully inserted into the GPU or the wires were bent against the side panel. So if you have a narrower case (less CPU cooler clearance), you need to be wary since bending increases resistance, which causes heating and melting of the connector or the cables.

For extra peace of mind you could buy a digital thermometer like below and stick the probe to the connector and monitor the temp while gaming. But this connector has a design flaw, and was one of the reasons I jumped to Team Red. Might be less of an issue with the 4080 since it draws less power, so less heating at the connector/melting.
1719634132257.jpeg

The 3x PCIe ----> 12VHPWR pigtail shouldn't be a problem on it's own.

Just bought the Zotac 4080 super trinity OC. There was this whole episode of 12VHPWR connectors melting a while ago. I mostly remember that being a case of cable not fully plugged in.

Is there is still any major issue with the 12VHPWR connector? and is it safe to use the bundled 3x 6+2 to 12VHPWR adapter supplied with the card?
Were you the one who took it in a great (read unbelievable) deal recently from fk?

Good to hear that you got the right product and everything went smoothly. Congrats and enjoy!

Back