Graphic Cards Nvidia geforce 9600gt


Yondaime

New Member
Disciple
Ok I am planning to get a Nvidia geforce 9600GT because I my budget is restricted to <5k priced at 4.5k

and this is to my knowledge a pretty decent one (Correct me if I am wrong)

and I am also particular about Nvidia.

well my question is :

I have a 450watts SMPS, is this sufficient enough for this card or should I have to buy a new ?

if so then I guess I would need a card(pls suggest some) which fits into my SMPS bracket !

One more question: Will graphics card be useful for other purposes besides that of gaming?

Do I need a graphics card for CUDA programming?( That is the main reason )
 

DarkAngel

Well-Known Member
Veteran
Which brands' 450w PSU? Generic cheap ones that costs ~Rs.500 or the ones that comes with the case just says they are 450w watts but would even struggle to deliver 250-300w of clean power.

If u want only Nvidia cards and have a budget of 5k then i would suggest the Nvidia GT240.

MSI N240GT GeForce GT 240 512 MB GDDR5 Review - Page 28/34 | techPowerUp

The 9600GT needs a PCI-E power connector IINM. The GT240 consumes much lesser power.

MSI N240GT-MD1G

But i would suggest u change the PSU to a better one like at least entry level PSU's from good brands.

I would suggest the FSP SAGAII 350w~1.5k(If u have a basic dual core etc...)/ FSP SAGAII 400w ~ 1.9k/ Gigabyte Superb 460 ~ 2k.

If u are open to ATI cards then the

Sapphire HD4670 1Gb GDDR3 ~ 4.1k/ Sapphire HD5670 512MB GDDR5 ~ 5k
 

Charun

Well-Known Member
Adept
hey you can go for 5670 at 5k instead of 9600

and dont have much knowledge abt PSU's but a gigabyte 450W which comes for around 1.8k is very good - correct me if i m wrong guyz
 

Yondaime

New Member
Disciple
DarkAngel said:
Which brands' 450w PSU? Generic cheap ones that costs ~Rs.500 or the ones that comes with the case just says they are 450w watts but would even struggle to deliver 250-300w of clean power.

If u want only Nvidia cards and have a budget of 5k then i would suggest the Nvidia GT240.

MSI N240GT GeForce GT 240 512 MB GDDR5 Review - Page 28/34 | techPowerUp

The 9600GT needs a PCI-E power connector IINM. The GT240 consumes much lesser power.

MSI N240GT-MD1G

But i would suggest u change the PSU to a better one like at least entry level PSU's from good brands.

I would suggest the FSP SAGAII 350w~1.5k(If u have a basic dual core etc...)/ FSP SAGAII 400w ~ 1.9k/ Gigabyte Superb 460 ~ 2k.

If u are open to ATI cards then the

Sapphire HD4670 1Gb GDDR3 ~ 4.1k/ Sapphire HD5670 512MB GDDR5 ~ 5k

well I am particular about Nvidia for the sole reason of CUDA !

my PSU is techcom

some of the reviews I saw they say that 9600 GT is better than GT240 thats the reason I chose 9600GT
 

kanand72

New Member
Disciple
I have a sparkle 9600GT ...It does not need a PCIE power connector...These newer cards run only on PCI Express slot power ..No need of external power. However, they do need a good PSU. I had a generic 450w SMPS...my mobo started giving problems (IDE conked off) after using this card ..I then got the corsair 450W SMPS...
 

krishnandu

Well-Known Member
Veteran
Yondaime said:
well I am particular about Nvidia for the sole reason of CUDA !

my PSU is techcom

some of the reviews I saw they say that 9600 GT is better than GT240 thats the reason I chose 9600GT
That Techcom 450W PSU won't be able to provide enough juice.

Go for FSP Saga II or Gigabyte PSU's if you are really on low budget.
 

Yondaime

New Member
Disciple
krishnandu said:
That Techcom 450W PSU won't be able to provide enough juice.

Go for FSP Saga II or Gigabyte PSU's if you are really on low budget.
this could be a problem then ! :(
Another 1k for an SMPS bumps the budget :|
 

Yondaime

New Member
Disciple
yes I am thinking of first buying a SMPS !!

and if I get a 9600GT or GT240 will I be able to play all the games that are likely in the future period of 2 years?
 

Aces170

Well-Known Member
ex-Mod
^Maybe but you will need to throttle down the resolution and settings. 9600GT is a 3 year old tech after all :)
 

Rogues

Active Member
Disciple
Greater the bandwidth higher the data transfer rate. 256bit will, under perfect conditions offer twice the data transfer rate.
 

Top