• RTX 3060 12GB

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • RTX 4060 Ti 16GB

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DigitalDude

Skilled
My Dell U2724D 27" 1440p monitor is on the way and I'm planning to upgrade my graphics card from my Asus GTX 970 4GB (yes!)

I rarely game these days... even then just old titles or indie titles. I don't even remember when I last bought an AAA title so I don't need too much gaming performance.

But I'm planning to run some local AI models for image gen, LLM and audio gen etc (ollama, stable diffusion and friends). My budget is limited to these cards which always turned up in the research I did. I'm more biased towards the 3060 12gb.

So please help me in deciding between these two cards. Much better if you have used any of these for local AI and content creation stuff.

It depends on price and what you need.

4060ti was pretty disappointing as an upgrade to 3060ti. They had similar performance i think.
Nvidia basically seemed to have renamed lower tier products.

But it is faster than 3060 12gb. And you get extra vram too which might matter for your applications.

AFAIR 4060ti16gb is like 45k, meanwhile a 3060 will cost you like 30k?

I bought a 3060 to do AI stuff, I'm just running SD and no training or such but the 12gb vram hasn't given me an issue so far, yes 16gb would be better but it ultimately depends on you if you want to spend that extra money for the extra 4gb VRAM.

Recently, I was thinking of upgrading so I can generate stuff faster but the only sensible path to upgrade from here would be the 3090 - 24gb vram and almost 2x-3x the performance - I don't think you would go for a used 3090 but that would be the path I would take in the future.

Ask yourself if 4060Ti is worth the extra 40% gaming performance & 4GB VRAM (not sure of productivity performance boost). If you are a beginner, can save money IMO.

It depends a lot on what you consider VFM.

You can get a new 3060 12 GB card for 25k. And it actually performs pretty well if you're just building/running casual models as a hobby. 4060 TI is priced at 45k and for the extra 80% price increase, you get better performance yes, but not as major as you think: source. And it also has a poor resale value if you're planning to upgrade in the future.

Back