Budget 90k+ Oculus VR PC / 4K HTPC- Thoughts & Comments

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Hi All.

So my Oculus VR will be delivered next month hopefully. I need a PC to run that thing. My current ultrabook is 3 years and its a solid performer. But it cannot run a VR. Acer Aspire S7-391.

My need is to get a SFF PC. so that I can even put that thing in a check in airline bag and ship to India. These are my specs. I would like to keep the price as down as possible.

Requirements were it should run Oculus VR with no hiccups. Light VR gaming with VR videos and what nots. And it should run my 55" TV which is my only monitor for this setup. and it should run my upcoming 4K 55" TV as well. I have loads of 4k videos with me.

ASRock Mini ITX DDR4 Motherboards FATAL1TY Z170
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC Gaming ACX 2.0+
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz (PC4-24000) C15 Memory Kit
Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB
I5-4690K 3.5Ghz
Noctua NH-L9I
Silverstore 600W SFX Form Factor
SilverStone RVZ02B

I am getting the entire stuff off of amazon/newegg. Comes to around 1200USD. I sold my PS4 for this already. Soon my personal laptop will also go away. And I will me putting the 1TB mSATA SSD from that as the secondary drive into this.

Planning to get the entire lot on May 2016. As I will be going to India for 5 weeks from March last week.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks.

A 970 won't be enough for most games at 4k.
See if you can get a good deal on a R9 nano or something ?

Also, lets look for the smallest chassis that can house a matx so that you can crossfire in the future.[DOUBLEPOST=1455676903][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW I have an affiliate code for amazon, it would be awesome if you could use that for your purchases :)

Last edited:
No GPU sold right now is good enough for VR long term. I suggest you wait until pascal and Polaris are out. No point spending money on a gpu now that will be obsolete in 6 months.

What??!!.. Doesn't oculus say that 970 is what needed for a decent performance. Then why more needed? [emoji17][emoji17]. For me VR video content and light gaming is needed. I want to experience the VR. Nothing else. Anyways I am ok with upgrading the GFX after 7 or so months. That's why picking the DDR4 and 600w PSU.

@suarezian & @malhotraraul

Sorry.

What??!!.. Doesn't oculus say that 970 is what needed for a decent performance. Then why more needed? [emoji17][emoji17]. For me VR video content and light gaming is needed. I want to experience the VR. Nothing else. Anyways I am ok with upgrading the GFX after 7 or so months. That's why picking the DDR4 and 600w PSU.

@suarezian & @malhotraraul

Sorry.

For just video playback, that will work. But for real VR games as and when they come out, 970 or even 980 ti won't be good enough.

As for your config - Z170 board and 4690k are not compatible with each other. You need a 6600K.

Looks again PC gaming will be back with bang with the VR and Denuvo protection which is making console Games to release for PC as well :)

wait for the pascal based gpu's jeri, wrong time to get the 970/980 right now, everything else looks great but why not skylake ?

Money. :). I want to keep the budget as low as possible. Not sure what will skylake give me. Is there skylake alternatives in this budget?[DOUBLEPOST=1455716883][/DOUBLEPOST]
For just video playback, that will work. But for real VR games as and when they come out, 970 or even 980 ti won't be good enough.

As for your config - Z170 board and 4690k are not compatible with each other. You need a 6600K.

Dumb Me.

May? No point in suggesting something two months prior to purchase. Definitely not a good idea. Bump this thread a week before purchase.

Back