Storage Solutions OCZ Vertex 120GB - 25nm NAND issue

karmyster

Disciple
Hi all,

I have recently purchased an OCZ 120GB Vertex 2 from primeabgb. I believe this SSD is one that suffers from the 25nm NAND issue recently seen in OCZ SSDs. Please help me identify if it is so:

Die Size: 64Gb
Firmware: 1.29
Windows Formatted capacity: 107.4 GB

AS per info here this seems be a drive that has an issue. Please let me know how I can confirm it and if so how do I RMA?
Thanks

I do have a 120 gb vertex 2 drive and its formatted capacity is 111 GB. Hence it seems like you have a drive with 25nm Nand.

Download OCZ toolbox and it will give you the info you need.

For information for replacement drive go here

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

just saw your link , your drive is definitely the 25nm version. Even I posted the same link

What I understand by reading on web is that these 25nm drives have following issues:
1. Lower read, write speeds
2. Less space, in my case 4GB less

Is there anything else? Like reduced life span or frequent stuttering? I'm just trying to understand whether this is a "defective" product or one where the specs have been misrepresented on the box.

Thanks

it is not defective but they should have informed consumers before changing the technology of the product or sell it with a different name.

IMHO there will not be any problems like reduced life span or anything. it is just a vertex 2 drive with different specs resulted in reduced space and performance.

Thanks, I was just wondering whether I should go through an long and possibly expensive RMA process or just live with the drive. If anyone has ever RMA'ed an OCZ drive if you could give me some input I would appreciate it.

Thanks

A 25nm drive theoretically has less life than a 32nm drive, but practically, you will not reach the limit anywhere for the next 5yrs at least.. And read speeds are down a little I guess, but once again, you will not notice any real life performance difference. So just enjoy your SSD :)

It is upto you if you are satisfied with current drive or want the 34nm Nand drive. I think its better if you can ask about the RMA process in the OCZ forum and you will get a response there from company representative

see,in US,they were replacing those drives with 34nm parts free of charge.

just contact them on their forums and get a 43nm drive and get done with it.

Back