CPU/Mobo Of broken pins and slots...

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Scenario 1]

Guys I gave my good old loyal processor (AMD Phenom 730) to one friend.

While installing the processor on his mobo he inserted the processor wrongly in the socket and pushed it hard and locked the latches.

He got no display when he turned on the combo.

He again opened the processor latch just to found that some 4-5 pins were sandwiched between the socket and processor (the pins broke).:facepalm:

Now is there anyway to solder them back? Or to solder similar type of pins from other bad processor??:stinkyfeet:

Scenario 2]

Another office colleagues tech-savvy daddy was removing the GPU from the pci-express slot and without noticing the pci slot lock/latch he forcefully pulled the graphics card out and in this manner the pci slot too came out with the card.:facepalm:
This happened on first pci-express or the 2nd one...not yet sure, the last pci-ex slot is good/unused/safe!

Now, his mobo has tri-sli (got 3 pci-express slots). More to that its an i7 machine.:depressed:
So can he use the gpu on other 2 slots and run the system, normally?

I think in 2 you can push back the slot in to the Mobo if you have enough patience. Don't allow the idiot dad to do it though. Yes to can use gpu on other slot provided no pins are bent or touch in the first slot.

In 1, you can ask some local PCB repairing people if they can do such work. Ask your idiot friend to pay all expenses.

I think in 2 you can push back the slot in to the Mobo if you have enough patience. Don't allow the idiot dad to do it though. Yes to can use gpu on other slot provided no pins are bent or touch in the first slot.

In 1, you can ask some local PCB repairing people if they can do such work. Ask your idiot friend to pay all expenses.

Clear picture:
Found that the second pci ex slot came out only 40% but from outside it looks as if all is well. He tried inserting the gpu in the same slot and only then one can fell that the slot has become a bit shaky/loose from at the slots latch end.

He has sent rams for rma so cannot check the system on other pci slots and also the mobo got onboard display.

Luckily the primary pci-ex slot which operates at 16x was never used instead the gpu was sitted in 2nd slot which got lower 8x speed. (I wonder why so)
The 3rd slot is at 4x and only a thin gpu can fit in there due to connectors underneath.

Back