CPU/Mobo Office Desktop Performance Check

Hi All,

I have a relatively new office desktop purchased in mid 2019 which is a DELL Vostro 3470 having i3 8100 CPU | 4 GB RAM | 1 TB HDD. Recently i've been facing drastic performance drops while operating my system. From start i have been using the PC for multi-tasking, to be precise i would have Outlook + Chrome + 2 other heavy applications running simultaneously through out the day with occasional use of MS Word/Excel/Notepad.

The PC was performing relatively fast from my perspective and was handling above applications well. Recently we shifted our email server from POP to MS Exchange and as benefits i did install MS Teams (still on system) & Skype for Business (uninstalled as i found it to be very slow to function properly), my problem with the system started after my outlook was moved to MS Exchange plus the add ons of Teams & Skype. I have to wait for good 2-3 minutes to open up an excel sheet if i have 3-4 applications already running at one time which wasn't the case earlier.

I don't know why i am relating relative performance drop to shift in email server, but could this be a valid reason? I mean i just had to
Post automatically merged:

Hi All,

I have a relatively new office desktop purchased in mid 2019 which is a DELL Vostro 3470 having i3 8100 CPU | 4 GB RAM | 1 TB HDD. Recently i've been facing drastic performance drops while operating my system. From start i have been using the PC for multi-tasking, to be precise i would have Outlook + Chrome + 2 other heavy applications running simultaneously through out the day with occasional use of MS Word/Excel/Notepad.

The PC was performing relatively fast from my perspective and was handling above applications well. Recently we shifted our email server from POP to MS Exchange and as benefits i did install MS Teams (still on system) & Skype for Business (uninstalled as i found it to be very slow to function properly), my problem with the system started after my outlook was moved to MS Exchange plus the add ons of Teams & Skype. I have to wait for good 2-3 minutes to open up an excel sheet if i have 3-4 applications already running at one time which wasn't the case earlier.

I don't know why i am relating relative performance drop to shift in email server, but could this be a valid reason? I mean i just had to
Post automatically merged:

I mean i just had to understand the reason for this. Can anyone here suggest me some tests that i can run to figure out whats the issue? Would appreciate your kind suggestions.

PS. - Well idk how my post got posted without the complete ending above. Hopefully now it will make sense!

Last edited:
Open task manager and go to performance section ,
check if HDD running at 100 percentage ( in idle) (copy to and from and check (read ,write ) speed and response time ,
check if CPU is running at least on base clock (use some software which is CPU resource hungry ).

Hi All,

Please see below screenshots & if you could advise what's the issue here.

Processes while running 2 Chrome Tabs + Outlook
1599806173807.png

Performance while running 2 Chrome Tabs + Outlook

1599806265990.png

Processes at IDLE:
Processes at IDLE.png

Performance at IDLE:
Performance at IDLE.png

Last edited:
only 2 possibility on HDD
(malware attack or your hard disk is about to die)

since you are running 4gb ram 2 chrome pages and 1 outlook is enough to make it go 91%

i mentioned malware attack since your cpu is running at 10 % in idle and your HDD on 100%

If you are running windows 10 OS on 4 GB RAM its inevitable what you are facing, RAM is your system bottleneck. wise is to upgrade RAM first , Good antivirus system scan second and Do precautionary Hard disk health check as many members already said .

I think you should scan your computer with a good antivirus, and should check some background process, some background process such as compattelrunner.exe and wsappx sometimes uses high disk and CPU resources.

Compattellrunner.exe runs in the background and sends the data to the Microsoft server. Microsoft has designed this program to collect the system diagnostic data, this helps Microsoft to improve their product and services. However, this process uses high disk and CPU resources, thereby causes a low system response, but you can disable this.

And the other hand, there is one more process in the background that is wsappx, but it is related to Microsoft store. This process automatically starts in the background when apps are being updated in-store, once everything is finished, this process gest terminated.

You may check out these guide:

CompatTelRunner process - https://www.windowstechguru.com/compattelrunner-exe-windows-10/
Wsappx process - https://www.windowstechguru.com/wsappx-high-disk-cpu/

I hope this may solve your problem.

Last edited:
Back