OLD REFRIGERATOR SUPER COOLING – IS IT A PROBLEM!

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
I have a Samsung double door refrigerator (Model No RL39WBMS) – 380 lts, purchased around 2006-07 – so its almost 16 years old & performs well!

My Concerns & Worries:
  • The Top part is now *Super Cooling* last one year or more and anything kept towards the rear side gets semi-frozen. Temp is maintained at 6 degs C (I cannot increase this temp).
  • There is not much air-space or gaps on the 3 sides of the fridge – owing to space limitations. I have placed a Fire-Proof Plywood panel on the left side (between our 4-burner Gas Cooking Range & fridge) to prevent heat dissipation [this panel was double treated with fire-retardant paint too which I got from amazon & even then is an eyesore - but we bear with it :arghh:)
  • At all times both exterior sides (walls) of the fridge are extremely heated up.
  • CAN THIS UNUSUAL SUPER COOLING BE MINIMISED :oops:
  • We have totally defrosted this fridge only 2-3 times.
Why am we Happy with this Model & Unwilling to Replace it

It took us almost 3 years of waiting prior to 2007 to find a satisfactory double door refrigerator which had all these positive points – Adequate space on each shelf so that even two large capacity vessels can be stacked back-to-back against each other; a 4 litres water dispenser; extremely large capacity DEEP FREEZER with a cooling range of minus 18 to 24 degs C (we have used it at minus 18). [We have stocked non-veg items for months without losing it’s freshness or taste value].

There is no comparable brand even in 2023 that can match the above parameters or features and size that can fit into the space we have (if we have to replace this model as a last recourse).

Tagging @blr_p
Samsung_Fridge_RL39WBMS_01.jpeg
Samsung_Fridge_RL39WBMS_02.jpeg
Samsung_Fridge_RL39WBMS_03.jpeg

A couple of ideas. Since the fridge is a bit old.

- How pliable are the door seals? The rubber gaskets that line the doors. If they don't create a good seal the fridge will work overtime as you have a leak. Maybe you can remove them, give them a wash and to return them to soft state run a hair dryer over them.

- A long shot but when was the last time you gave the cooling fins near the compressor a good clean? this will be located at the back of the fridge possibly inside a panel you can access. You can do it yourself just need to be gentle as they bend easily. Ideally, that should be cleaned every couple of years. They tend to get wooly with dust over time and this could make the compressor work overtime.

That website is where i learnt lots of things about appliances :)

Last edited:
When was it last defrosted? You need to empty the fridge of all perishable items first to do any troubleshooting on it. Maybe the thermostat failed or some air flow pipe inside the fridge is obstructed with ice. To do these you will need to call some pro.

Back