On what basis do you choose a language to program in

real_programmers.png

Developers often take a religious fervor when it comes to defending their favourite language, or poking a rant on another. Some people have singlehandedly been able to draw considerable attention within their communities. Joe Armstrong with erlang, Paul Praham with Lisp/Arc or Douglas Crockford with javascript are other candidates who are almost synonymous with the language itself. Documentation and the developer community behind the mailing lists, or irc channels are another indication. Performance , dealing with legacy and platform issues, adaptability to learn , the IDE and tools associated , the list could go on...

What language do you program in predominantly, and are there interesting stories or reasons behind what made you do so ?

XKCD is brilliant. I read this a while ago, it's still funny.

P.S :- I hack in C 'cause I don't remember anything else, anymore :(.

sahilm said:
P.S :- I hack in C 'cause I don't remember anything else, anymore :(.

Same. 'C' or C++ has been taught to us (CS students) since 11 to Graduation, we end up learning all other languages by comparing their fundamentals to what we learned in c/c++

When I was learning VB6, I had a tough time getting the fundamentals of it to stick in my head.

C++ and Java. Doing C++ for a long time now. Started out by learning OOPS in 9th std and C++ became my first language ever since. Was forced to use Java in work, but gradually began to appreciate the language.

Had to learn Java in 10th. Have learned C and C++ in the process as well. Now primarily I program in Java and PHP for web-based stuff. I am trying to learn Ruby, Python, Perl etc. but never seem to find the time to do it.

After reading your nice post, I would answer gVim... had been hooked onto ages and couldnt get out of it.

~LT
bosky101 said:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics
/real_programmers.png

Developers often take a religious fervor when it comes to defending their favourite language, or poking a rant on another. Some people have singlehandedly been able to draw considerable attention within their communities. Joe Armstrong with erlang, and Douglas Crockford with javascript are other candidates who are almost synonymous with the language itself. Documentation and the developer community behind the mailing lists, or irc channels are another indication. Performance , dealing with legacy and platform issues, adaptability to learn , the IDE and tools associated , the list could go on...

What language do you program in predominantly, and are there interesting stories or reasons behind what made you do so ?

im a c/c++ fan... but gaining some new found respect for java after seeing the kinds of systems you can build with it :D

nice thread this,

started my life out with FoxPro and i really used to swear by it till i learnt C++. I was sp smitten by the red fox that whenever my friends learning VB4 used to show something cool in VB i tried to imitate the same withwhatever lil gui features Fax had to offer.

Then it was VB6 for a long time, did everything i needed with it, right from music library management, CD colections management, household inventory and what not.

Now i make a living out of C# and have started to have a thing for C# . Its like newfound love for C++ for me.

Started with c/c++ like most others. But moved over to Java cause of flexibility. Now mostly program in Java and PHP.

P.S : Never got the hang of VB :-s

started with C and C++. moved to VB and then learnt java. worked in infobasic at ofice..

and finally now lost touch of all..

ill prefer java thou

I code in c/c++, did system programming in both windows and linux.
I use vim for linux and visual studio for windows. I always love the the latest version of visual studio for the ease of use.

tried emacs but it took an hour to get out of it for the first time; never used it afterwards.

totally, wholeheartedly hate java.
worked in asp.net and c# for few months. know a few scripting languages, but yet to learn the perl.

btw, my programming started with gwbasic.

KingKrool said:
I use source insight to program in C. You guys have probably never heard of source insight.... but its great.

I used source insight once for browzing the code. but once I understood how to use ctags and cscope switched to them. source insight is sometimes buggy for badly managed codebase.

Started out with good ol' QBasic in school (good old days :Comp5: everything was so simple).
Taught myself C in school, and then moved on to C++ (even delved into VC++ back in early 2000's and created some apps that are still floating around I think).

Had to learn Java in college but got sick of it, it takes away all the fun in programming by giving the coder everything he needs (thats why corporates like it i guess). Then moved on to sys internal programming, drivers etc. and into ASM (intel syntax mostly). Love that the most (clear and simple instructions to the machine) :eek:hyeah: .

But life dictated that I move to standard stuff so back to C/C++ (to earn a livelihood). Along the way have also dabbled in scripting (HTML/Javascript/PHP/Perl/Tcl etc..) and looking to try out LISP sometime soon hopefully. :)

On what 'basis' you ask ... well difficult question to answer.

But i'll give a simple one , :D

If its a short something i want to try , TurboC , i still love cout and cin

If its a not so short something i want to try , or maybe even give out, (FAST) 1 word VB!

If its a shot something on the web ? PHP.

If its a true-blue app, VC++

If its a true -blue app which needs realtime(ish) performance, VC++ with assembly functions.

If its embedded development, C and Assembly. Mostly Assembly tho.

If I am to get paid, any language that the customer chooses , heh !:rofl:

If is something sguyggly wuggly which i want to run on both windose and loonix, java

if its on the mobile , ( i'd say C /C++ symbian) or J2me

now, aint that a simple answer :eek:hyeah:
this forums great !

Apart from the suggestions made by neur0tic

For RAD or Rapid App Development

Web -> ASP.NET

Windows -> C#.NET [1st Choice] or VB.NET

I prefer VC#.NET over VB.NET , C# was exclusively developed for VS

[Hope i am not wrong]

[This is what i heard]

So C#.Net is the best when it comes to developing apps in VS.Net

Other languages that i am trying