Monitors One monitor for tv and pc - possible?

6pack

ex-Mod
What i want to do is hook up a tata sky hd pvr to my viewsonic monitor.
tata sky has hdmi out. so i will get a hdmi to dvi adaptor like this one in link -
eBay India: HDMI To DVI D Single Link Cable Gold Plated 1.8 Meter (item 120690391823 end time 05-Mar-2011 23:35:59 IST)

Monitor has vga and dvi-d connections only. its a dvi-d dual link i think, but the cable supplied with monitor was single link. checked the socket on monitor and it is a 24+5 socket. don't know if it will accept dual link cable, so getting a single link cable.

what i want to do is share the monitors single dvi-d input between both tatasky hd box and comp video card. How can i do it without removing the cable from pc to monitor or cable from stb to monitor? both comp and hd stb will not be on at same time mostly but both need to be connected.

saw some splitter on amazon - Amazon.com: DVI-D 24+1 Digital Splitter Cable - 1 Male to 2 Female DVI: Electronics
then saw the customer remark below...

so these splitter cables wont work right?

(cant use hdmi to vga since digital to analog is not possible with only a cable and i dont want to spend on a converter/switch just to get a bad signal in vga mode)

they can work... u mentioned tata sky as well as the monitor ports... what about the pc video card??? it has dvi to hdmi out???

basic hdmi to dvi cable won't set u back for more than 250 bucks.... single link or dual link won't make a difference...as hdmi only will have 19 pin connection... price is way too high on ebay.... if ur video card outputs in dvi or hdmi ... the amazon linked product and a hdmi to dvi will be more than enough...

video card has dvi and vga outputs and s-video output. hdmi out is possible thru dvi-hdmi converter which i dont have. but i dont require it since monitor does not have any hdmi inputs.

6pack said:
(cant use hdmi to vga since digital to analog is not possible with only a cable and i dont want to spend on a converter/switch just to get a bad signal in vga mode)

Your video card should have come with a DVI-VGA converter. Use that to connect PC-Monitor via VGA and use the Monitor DVI port to connect STB. Or you can do vice-versa. Easiest solution IMO

if the video card already has a vga port and so does ur monitor.. use a vga to vga cable... n got stb use a hdmi to dvi cable... don't need any more convertors... jus two cable will suffice...

Update: Bought the dual link hdmi-dvi-d cable and it does not work or monitor does not support full hd resolution. All i get is a "No Signal" message and it goes into standby. Now i will have to buy a external tv tuner or get a lcd tv.

Searched on the net, and seems many people confirm that my monitor does not support full hd res. shucks. now i have a tatasky hd pvr and cannot see anything on it. :(

Edit: Now confused on which tv tuner to buy. I know the tatasky hd is mpeg4. Does the signal that it outputs via component is in analog format and with 1080i resolution? or is it resolution independent?

Is there any way to change hdmi output to 720p in the settings of the stb? Right now, my old tv is dead (so can't use it), my monitor does not support 1080i/p but supports upto 1680 res @60Hz.

Or should i stop breaking my head and break my bank and just get a new lcd tv (as last resort)? Then i wont have to worry about tuner not working etc.

Back