CPU/Mobo One processor, Two motherboards. Future-proof or Foolish?

What's the rational decision?

• Keep only B460 ITX board

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Keep both B460 ITX and B560 ITX

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zero_cool

Disciple
In my pursuit of building a future proof / long life Intel ITX build with a 10400, I got the last MSI B460 ITX board I could find. Now, I've been thinking of ideas to extend the life of this build regardless of the performance beyond 5 years. Based on my experience, I've had motherboards fail on me after 4 years thus, as a back up to ensure I don't spend a bomb upgrading the system after 4 years, I've purchased a B560 ITX board at a good price to ensure I retain all my core components for a lot longer. I can return the B560 board and get my money back so I'm wondering if this a future-proof strategy or just plain stupid?

MSI B460 ITX: ₹14,900
MSI B560 ITX: ₹16,300

I can understand that thought process. But that 16,300 would almost certainly get you a better processor and a budget Hx10 series motherboard in five years that would have more performance than today's mid range mini-itx motherboard. It'll be the kind of budget motherboard that is somewhat mini-itx compatible, with two expansion slots. If you really want to continue to use your processor five years from now, then you could get a really inexpensive H410 motherboard now instead as a backup. Because the new stuff that'll be out in five year's time would outclass whatever is available on the market now and you'd want that instead, while relegating this system to secondary use.

Performance stagnated between 2014 and the release of AMD's 1st gen Zen processors, but we've seen constant yearly jumps since then and that's without Intel's actual response to AMD's Zen, which is coming with their 12th gen.

That being said, systems in general can last a very long time if they're properly looked after. Use an inverter or a UPS and a surge protector for both the inverter and the computer.

Future proof? Whats your definition of it? Its different for everyone though.

Have stated this many times, today nothing is future proof unless you are adapting to a newer technology like electric cars which again will continuously evolve every year...this technology is the future.
And claiming something future proof in desktop computing is now a phased out dream. What you buy the best today will max last you between 3-5 yrs. But if you get hold of 3080/3090 and ryzen 5900 etc. then depending on your usage it can last 2yrs more.
Like there are few users who want the latest stuff but their rig is highly overkill for their type of gaming and misc. usage so for them even 8yrs will be a future proof definition.

I can understand that thought process. But that 16,300 would almost certainly get you a better processor and a budget Hx10 series motherboard in five years that would have more performance than today's mid range mini-itx motherboard. It'll be the kind of budget motherboard that is somewhat mini-itx compatible, with two expansion slots. If you really want to continue to use your processor five years from now, then you could get a really inexpensive H410 motherboard now instead as a backup. Because the new stuff that'll be out in five year's time would outclass whatever is available on the market now and you'd want that instead, while relegating this system to secondary use.

Performance stagnated between 2014 and the release of AMD's 1st gen Zen processors, but we've seen constant yearly jumps since then and that's without Intel's actual response to AMD's Zen, which is coming with their 12th gen.

That being said, systems in general can last a very long time if they're properly looked after. Use an inverter or a UPS and a surge protector for both the inverter and the computer.
Maybe I am putting too much emphasis on the assumption that the B460 will fail. I will look forward to my system and consider this board if I get it at H410 prices. Will return the B560 for now.

Future proof? Whats your definition of it? Its different for everyone though.

Have stated this many times, today nothing is future proof unless you are adapting to a newer technology like electric cars which again will continuously evolve every year...this technology is the future.
And claiming something future proof in desktop computing is now a phased out dream. What you buy the best today will max last you between 3-5 yrs. But if you get hold of 3080/3090 and ryzen 5900 etc. then depending on your usage it can last 2yrs more.
Like there are few users who want the latest stuff but their rig is highly overkill for their type of gaming and misc. usage so for them even 8yrs will be a future proof definition.
I don't think my requirement from a PC will change in the coming years thus just wanted a decently powerful functional system that can beat an average laptop. No intention to build a spec monster.

Return B560 ITX if not using, it will be out of warranty after 3 yrs and may or may not work properly after 4 yrs.
If your 460 board fails after 4 yrs and you intend to keep other component, you can buy a pre owned good condition working board at that time which will be much cheaper.

This idea won't workout the way you're expecting, nothing is like future proof, by that time there'll be major change in whole PC architecture and you may be tempting for an upgrade.

Return the board as everyone said and if you are worried then invest/go with Fixed deposit for 5yrs that will gradually increase your money so IF and when your motherboard die you can use extra cash for 5yr investment/saving through interest

In my pursuit of building a future proof / long life Intel ITX build with a 10400, I got the last MSI B460 ITX board I could find. Now, I've been thinking of ideas to extend the life of this build regardless of the performance beyond 5 years. Based on my experience, I've had motherboards fail on me after 4 years thus, as a back up to ensure I don't spend a bomb upgrading the system after 4 years, I've purchased a B560 ITX board at a good price to ensure I retain all my core components for a lot longer. I can return the B560 board and get my money back so I'm wondering if this a future-proof strategy or just plain stupid?

MSI B460 ITX: ₹14,900
MSI B560 ITX: ₹16,300
Since your cpu is already low power, also if your case have good ventilation and you force intel tdp limit then you don't have to worry about board failing in under 10 years.
Boards are more likely to fail when used with improper overclocking, improper cooling, no maintenance/cleaning and mishandling.
I will suggest to check your motherboard's and cpu's temps to see if its working as intended and then don't worry for atleast 5 years.

You will anyway get someone selling their board even in 5 years and cheaper than what you are paying now. Better to do an FD with that amount and buy board later than just keeping board now :sweatsmile: .

Even if you were to assume a 100% likelihood of your board failing in 5 years (which is unlikely)
it's almost a given that whatever basic CPU and mobo you will get for the same price as the current extra mobo alone will comfortably beat the current combo's performance.

TBH, this is the first hedging strategy of this nature that I have heard of - and for good reason
coz it does not make sense

Yeah, I can understand the school of thought that made you do this, but it won't work in this specific case. I plan to do something similar, but for my headphones - HD650s. I have heard that the sound signature is slightly different, but if I see them going on sale again, I'll definitely get the Drop's HD6xx and keep them as a spare, just in case something were to happen to my original HPs.

Thanks for your responses folks. I returned the B560. I gave it a lot of thought and realised if the board does fail within 3 years, I will get an upgrade to B560 anyway. On the other hand, this is a pretty basic system so if I do end up switching after 3-5 years, I can invest in something that suits my needs then. The RAM and CPU will fetch me decent money in resell down the line so I think a lost MB can be digested. I plan to use the money towards an additional monitor or more RAM. I will post my build once it is complete.

My cheap ass Gigabyte B85M-D3H from 2013 has been running 24x7 for 8 years almost. The first component to fail was the PSU, and the next was a HDD. Each after 5 years of life. A couple of corsair and deepcool fans also failed in between. The cheapo H55 liquid cooler has also not failed yet - it's definitely suffering from dust and bubbles though.

You're overthinking here. Spend the extra money for a good PSU.

Back