Other OnePlus One - Please Share Your Thoughts/Impressions/Reviews Here [User Experience ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidrow

Adept
Hi all,

In the clamour for invites, a lot of folks are probably unaware that many OPO owners are also facing issues. So a request to all to post their experience, good & bad, here for other potential buyers to follow.

It doesn't need to be a proper review (though it would help to link it here if you do have a dedicated review thread). Even a single comment is fine, :).

It's also fair game to review your Amazon experience, good & bad.

Also, do share any possible fixes that you may know of to combat any problems with the device.

I'll start off with my very early thoughts-

1. The yellow tint/band is a problem. It's especially apparent against white/light backgrounds.
Related - https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...eck-if-your-phone-has-the-yellow-tint.202519/

2. I returned my 1st OPO because of the yellow tint. Received my 2nd one & it's got the same.

3. The camera in artificial light doesn't seem to be up to snuff in Auto mode, based on very early tests.

My comment on the OPO forums -
Yes, I've done some initial testing. For almost all of the artificially lit scenes (auto mode, flash forced to off), the f-stop is 2.0, & shutter speed is about 1/10. The only thing that varies is the iso, which goes to ridiculous levels for me as well (upto 4000!), at least judging by the exif as displayed in Windows file properties. (Maybe that's a bug or somehing vis-a-vis the info displayed?)

Also, multiple attempts are required to get a sharp enough shot.

Also, have you noticed that the actual image capture (viz. final photo) is a bit larger than what you've framed on your screen?

Maybe, I'm reading too much into this, but I'd say that the camera is poor by current mobile cam standards. Will be uploading comparison pics with the Redmi 1s later in the day. Will tag you then.

PS: One post on the global forums suggests that pics with Color OS installed are much better.

Thread found here - https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/serious-camera-issues-in-opo.204365/#post-8194576

4. The phone (my 2nd one) seems to heat up seemingly randomly. Will need to test further.

With the 1st piece, it was mostly cool with the exception of gaming. What was a concern then was that even casual games like Candy Crush caused enough heat to make taking calls during gameplay difficult. But in hindsight, that was a better piece compared to the 2nd one, lol.

Hi all,

Is it normal for the OPO to get warm with even casual games such as Candy Crush which aren't graphically demanding?

On my Mum's phone which has a dual core cortex A7 (made by an Indian manufacturer), Candy Crush doesn't cause any heat at all.

My Xiaomi Redmi 1s with the Snapdragon 400 does heat up but this is a known issue with that phone. (Apparently, the s/w isn't optimized & custom roms do resolve the issue).

But ~10 mins of casual gameplay (Candy Crush) on my OPO & the phone gets pretty warm. (Warm enough that putting the phone to one's ear to take a call in the middle of gameplay is very uncomfortable).

With more demanding games, the phone gets even hotter. (Enough that I can feel it on my fingers while I'm gaming).

So, 1. Do I have a faulty OPO? Or is this normal for an OPO?
2. Is this a s/w issue like my Redmi 1s or a known issue with the SD 801?
3. Do all quad-core processors behave similarly?

I'm not using any covers/screen guards with the OPO.

Many thanks.

5. 'Aren't there any good points to the phone?', you might ask? 'You seem to only be harping on the -ve'.

Well, I'm sure there are. But OPO service centers seem to not yet be in place. So the only saving grace is Amazon's return policy. Which basically means that I'm tending to test the phone for flaws rather than enjoy it. Especially in light of the fact that the yellow tint is not covered under warranty!

6. The only saving grace has been Amazon. For the most part, they have gotten things right except for some shoddy packing.
Related - https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...ns-packaging-for-the-opo.203524/#post-8194593

The Amazon return policy is a Godsend!

7. There is at least one TE member (@kvikram) who has returned his phone due to heating issues. More here.

[DOUBLEPOST=1418275045][/DOUBLEPOST]8. The Sandstone back is not a looker, imo. It doesn't have a premium look to it. Looks remind me of carpets used in the trunks of cars, :p. Also, not black by any stretch of the imagination. Definitely grey in colour.

But boy, does it feel great in your hands! Definitely a premiuim feel. Very, very unique, to say the least.

The downside to it is that it attracts dust, grit off of seemingly clean tabletops fairly easily.[DOUBLEPOST=1418275095][/DOUBLEPOST]9. Speakers (for media) are loud.

Hope this thread turns into a good resource for OPO users & potential buyers. Cheers!

Last edited:
@kidrow, you can tag all the buyers here, They'll surely leave their experience, feedback and comments or link to their own thread
Tagging a few of them.

@Dare Devil @nishthecooldude @rdst_1 @onlyravi @Switch @booo @dennis_nail @Sobirvs @dragon_unleashed @haraakiri @damn @Jasku, @dealwise, @hot zubs, @Xanthor, @adaneam, @rajshah @raja_mastana

Do post your thoughts guys. The official OPO India forums are a bit of a mess & pretty chaotic. Can take a while to separate the wheat from the chaff. (Though they are good for ranting & letting your frustration out with no regard for decorum like here on TE, :)).

Unboxed today as was busy past few days, talk about paying 99/- for next day delivery and not opening the package for 3 days flat. :(
The first boot was crazy fast, like really fast.
Up and running in no time. All default apps updated.
Setting up the phone to my liking right now.
No yellow tint. No heating issues as of now.
The camera is disappointing compared to the G3 as per initial impressions.
The phone is a beauty to hold and use!
Considering giving up on my G3 as I have long wanted to get back to stock Android!
Will update more as I dig deeper into the customizations and use the phone today![DOUBLEPOST=1418279309][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, did a massive photoshoot of the 1+ with my G3 this morning, unboxing photos and all!
Look at the irony, had carried my DSLR to office since Monday, the 1+ got delivered on Monday!
Couldn't unbox and use since I was busy at work, finally took the box home last night to unbox and forgot the DSLR at office.
The G3 came to the rescue!
Will put up pics in another/this thread if people are interested!

My impression after 3 days of use -

As a routine I charge all new battery operated devices to full and use till it drains full for first 2-3 cycles... On opening it was 40% and later while sleeping charged it powerbank to full. First day in office it drained fast on normal 3g on, net used for whatsapp and gmail etc, few clicks. All colleagues were looking here and there... Till afternoon drained to 30%...
On second day charged with AC adapter and used more compared to first day, battery worked well, end of day 50% was remaining...
Previously used Mi3 so expect similar performance from opo, as of now its little below compared to mi3...

Liked the back very much, don`t need any covers. Overall phone performance is fast ! Got good space for music and all...

Thinking of replacement (not refund) if battery gives problems.

Questions -
1. Does amazon site has replacement option or they directly refund ?
2. No option to capture screen, would love to have it on quick access menu.
3. Only 2 themes are available, mi3 has many available for free. How to get more.
4. Any cheap matte screen deals with links ?

TIA

Questions -
1. Does amazon site has replacement option or they directly refund ?
2. No option to capture screen, would love to have it on quick access menu.
3. Only 2 themes are available, mi3 has many available for free. How to get more.
4. Any cheap matte screen deals with links ?

TIA
1. No replacements only refunds and then if you convince the Amazon Customer Care they send you an invite.
2. Power+Vol Down, moreover you can program the buttons also to capture screen
3.there are other themes also, you need to click Get more on right top
4. ---- Don't know---

Last edited:
Am also having yellow tint but in delimma to return or not :(
They should have done quality checks before shipping the phones :(
I hear you .... & empathize. I feel shortchanged by this entire affair & the phone's enjoyment has literally been sucked out (for both me & my missus). (The phone's for her).
There are people who've gotten flawless phones. Why shouldn't we?

Either way, decide quick. 'Coz if you're going to return it, you have 10 days.

Am also having yellow tint but in delimma to return or not :(
They should have done quality checks before shipping the phones :(
If you return Amazon will give you the invite to purchase, once the phone reaches them but there's no guarantee that the next one will not have the yellow tint

Yes that the main problem what guarantee that next won't have yellow tint...I ordered on 4th and it was delivered to me on 5th...
So 10days from 5th na I have to register for return? Or from 4th?

^ On Amazon it shows I can return till Jan 2, which is about 25 days from date of purchase. But it is better to confirm with Amazon.

Chat CC told me I have still 20days but he gave me toll free number viz also on Oneplus one amazon page and he told me 10days from date of delivery.
So in short its 10days

^Yeah, the Amazon a/c shows some 25-30 days. But I'm playing it safe. Their general policy is 10 days for electronics. Plus I'll try & get it done while they are honoring it rather than take a chance. Can't fully trust any e-comm site. They might say that the system date was a glitch & 'Sorry sir. Amazon's policy on returns is very clearly mentioned on the site'.

Besides, I wouldn't want to further use a device for much longer when I already know it has an issue. I'll only be making it "older" for the poor sod who'll be getting it re-packed & branded as new.

The return window is meant for issues which crop up a bit later, not to allow the user time to attempt fixes.

Its not a week and amazon has 10% cashback on HDFC, any way that could be applied to a week early ordered phone ?

I have 2 Oneplus Ones at my home. First one is US version imported and second one bought this sunday on amazon. Second one arrived today only. Haven't opened it yet. That's for my dad.:)

I have put nillkin tempered glass and nillkin frosted brown cover on mine.
The one i own is very fast and battery backup is awesome. I had to attend a training last week and that training came out be very very boring. So was doing tp on phone whole day. Lot of browsing on internet and games(not heavy games though). The phone lasted whole day with 15% remaining with 6 hours of SOT, ie The phone was literally on whole day during training. Thats huge battery backup. Just loved it. Coming from galaxy s3 this is an huge improvement.

Camera is average, but slow motion recording at 120fps is good. Those videos if taken in good daylight they come out really good. Pictures in camera are also decent.

Performance is great and no slowness anywhere.

As there were lot of lollipop roms available on xda and wanted to try them. I unlocked and rooted my one yesterday and am running CrDRoid Rom Android 5.0.1). The only bug on the rom i am facing currently is gps icon remains in status bar even after switching gps off. Customizations aren't yet possible on lollipop as they were in kitkat roms(even stock cm11s is pretty good if one wants to be on kitkat.)

Will keep adding more here as more impressions come.

By the way i have put a post of pattern of digitizer on OPO in my thread for those who are interested : - https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/oneplus-one.167768/page-3#post-2001315

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back