Other OnePlus One Yellow Band Not Covered Under Warranty

kidrow

Adept
I think this warrants a thread because it is important information if you are an OPO enthusiast.

Please be aware that the yellow band/tint issue (which may or may not be present on your OPO) is not covered under warranty (as revealed in OPO's Reddit AMA). So the only resolution is the Amazon 10 day return policy.

To quote Vikas Agarwal, India GM, '....it is not a quality issue and will not be covered under warranty.....'.

Source - https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/...-vikas-during-ama-on-reddit-yesterday.201250/

That's bullshit and double standards. Just shows how much they care about Indian customers. This issue was covered under warranty in the US. Thank God, they partnered with Amazon so we can at least return it without any issues.

^Oh. Didn't know that it was covered under warranty in the US. Some OPO forum members gave me the impression that returns/refunds for this issue weren't accepted there as well.

I have a question, if your OPO does get "cured" by sunlight, is it a permanent fix? Or is there a possibility of the problem re-occurring?

@paarkhi Thanks mate. Will try it out tomorrow. Not sure that the glue is a valid reason. If it was that simple a fix, wouldn't 1+ have taken care of it? But I'll try it out for sure. Heck, if it works then I ain't complaining.

Just so disappointed. There is quite a bit of attention to detail overall, right from the packaging to the fit & feel. Made me quite excited. & then this.... just spoils things, :(.
Quite unexpected especially coming from a Co. which has otherwise delivered a quality product.

PS: Btw there's also a software cheat, which I'll try if the Sun Gods don't smile upon me, :).

@kidrow[/USER], is the yellow tint so noticeable?
Short answer: Yes, it is noticeable. If your phone has it, you will, sooner or later, notice it.

Looooong answer: The yellow tint/hue shift is visible mostly against a white/light background.

Initially, I thought that my brain is playing tricks. To test whether the issue exists on my device I fired up Chrome. I immediately got a sense that something is off, down at the bottom. Felt as though the screen is a bit dirty below, but not really yellow. But the more I looked at it, the more I could see a shift to yellow. Then when I moved my eye to other parts of the screen, I could see yellow splotches there as well. So I naturally thought I'm imagining things.
Plus after a while your brain compensates & you start feeling that it's all even. So I switched to landscape to jog my brain & I could again see the yellowing, now to the right.

Next I compared the screen side by side with my Redmi 1s. I found that while the Redmi 1s' screen is much warmer (yellower) comparitively, it is still consistent all over.

I next fired up the Play Store & that's where I confirmed the issue. On the Play Store home, you have three apps arranged in a single row+three column configuration. They are set against a white & gray background.
When I keep my eyes on a single (three app) row & follow it as I scroll down, I can see it change colour towards the bottom. Scroll up & it gets whiter. Scroll down & it gets yellower.
Another indicator is the gray background. The gray towards the bottom is yellowish vs that towards the middle & top.
It is probably also apparent against a black background but I can't say for sure. On the settings screen, I feel there is a gradient visible. But whether that is a part of the design/background or because of the tint, I can't say.

HTH someone who's unsure whether they have the issue in the 1st place, :).

@kidrow, so what are you going to do? Will you return it or are you going to live with it :)?
Gonna try & "treat" it. If it doesn't work out, then I'll probably return it. Actually, it's my wife's call as it's her phone.
But still, if it can't be fixed, I'll try my best to convince her to return it & try another piece. I mean even if you can live with it, some or the other colleague/friend is going to point it out. Then you'll need to face the embarassment of having bought a "cheapo Chinamaal".
Personally, I can't live with it. Imagine having to look at that weirdness every time you browse Google or the Play Store.

PS: Her office colleague has also bought the OPO & his doesn't have the tint issue.

@kidrow, so are you going to wait for your own invites or do you have an invite already or do you need one? I have one in my cart if you are interested then PM me I can COD it to you

@paarkhi Thanks mate. I'll just wait a while. Once my phone is picked up, then I'll start thinking about invites. Right now just testing things so I can compare later, :). For eg., the phone does heat up considerably even with casual gaming. Not sure if it's just my device or with all OPOs.

Slightly OT ... but my moto g from flipkart was replaced for a dead pixel .
Btw .. no app worked to correct the dead pixel ..
I tried pressing the screen too ... no help ...
Finally replaced it .

My phone has one dead pixel! what are my options? Will I get a replacement device?
Best option is to return under amazon 10 day return policy. Afaik replacement through amazon is not possible, they will only refund the amount for replacement you will have to go to service center and no one is sure of the service.

Best option is to return under amazon 10 day return policy. Afaik replacement through amazon is not possible, they will only refund the amount for replacement you will have to go to service center and no one is sure of the service.
So I will have to hunt for an invite again after returning this phone!

Back