Online Sites Delivering to India and Related Issues

hiflier

Disciple
I am new to Tech Enclave and what I gather from glancing through the forum threads is that many people order stuff online though sites outside India.

I request readers to provide details of online sites (computer hardware, modding, audio gear, consumer electronics etc.) which promptly and safely deliver to India. Also, any light on the associated customs duty (how to pay, how much, delays involved, cautions etc.) and mode of payment (credit card, paypal, cautions etc.) will be of great help.

A list of online sites within India will also be highly appreciated.

If I may, then its a request to the Mods to sticky this thread.

please search around the site...there is already a thread answering everything that you want to know...i am being a lazy bum right now...so please do the searching yourself.

We need a sticky on this - a thread containing all foriegn sites that deliver to India and Indian online shopping, pricelist websites.

Raghu.

u bet man ...we need some intl sites listed like sidewinder..you can use google checkout too to pay its pretty cool..but only some support shipping to here!!

Here is a list of sites that I have found recently arranged in the order of increasing total pricing (including shipping to India):-

Sidewinder Computers - A huge selection of High Quality PC Modding and Cooling parts - Tel # 1-317-888-0949

Quiet PC-Quiet PC Hardware-Quiet PC Components-Quiet PC Zalman Products

Your Reliable Online Store | EXcaliberPC.com

FrozenCPU.com | 1.877.243.8266 | World's Largest Selection of PC Modification Supplies

I think Quiet PC-Quiet PC Hardware-Quiet PC Components-Quiet PC Zalman Products is not well known. They seem to charge reasonable shipping though the prices are higher.

Those of you interested in quite computing (yeah the audio/DAW buffs), extremely quite SilenX fans can be ordered from SilenX Corporation - SilenX Corporation. They ship via FedEx the very moment you pay and the shipping charges are reasonable. I recently ordered some fans from there. They seems to be very cooperative. Contact Ms Annie at annie@silenxusa.com for processing your orders.

Petra's tech shop DO ship to india. I ordered some stuff frm them recently. U gotta contact them thru e-mail n place ur order. They ship usin USPS.

CHEERS.

Customs clearance is normally done by the courier. I've been charged the duty amount on delivery, both when it shipped through USPS (US govt mail) and and FedEx/Blue Dart.

Of course, customs guys are absolutely incompetent/greedy - I got charged fro importing capacitors @21.5%, when the customs rules clearly states it is duty-free. I ended up paying 1600 bucks of duty for a shipment whose actual chargeable value would not be more than 6 dollars (for the chips I ordered in the shipment). This is what happens when you are honest, the government fleeces you.

sangram said:
Of course, customs guys are absolutely incompetent/greedy - I got charged fro importing capacitors @21.5%, when the customs rules clearly states it is duty-free. I ended up paying 1600 bucks of duty for a shipment whose actual chargeable value would not be more than 6 dollars (for the chips I ordered in the shipment). This is what happens when you are honest, the government fleeces you.

There are various categories under which duty is charged. When you say of the above that it was duty-free. It means that the "Basic Duty" was free. There are other parameters like Additional Duty @ 16.48% and the Additional Duty of customs @ 4% and the Education Cess @ 3%
Add all the last three up and you get your 21.5%.

victorpst said:
I recently shipped fans from SilenX USA via FedEx. I have been charged customs @33% :(

Typically for computer components the total rate of duty amounts to 21.653%

In addition to that if you are importing into Mumbai ...you get charged 5.5% Octroi :mad:

Anything with a motor or pump fall into a different category than computer components. That is the reason your fans were charged more duty. The same is the case when you import water cooling units because of the "pump"

When you personally come from the US...i.e. when you are in the flight with you bags, the "Baggage Rules" apply for customs duty. Officially you are allowed to bring in goods worth Rs. 25,000 duty free in your accompanied baggage. That is not really considered importing and by rules you are not allowed to sell that stuff as it is only supposed to be for personal use. So, if you have electronic items in your luggage within limit then you don't need to pay any customs. Ofcourse now luck also plays a big factor here...there could be many a times that you may have had stuff worth more than Rs. 25,000 and you just walked off the green channel and no one said anything.

It really hurt as these fans are as such expensive (20+ USD each) and FedEx is also expensive (41 USD) :( so i have basically got 3 fans for 5K..... still better than buying from the likes of Antec since their noise levels are lower.....

On a different note, the services of FedEx are good. They give you an hour by hour update via their website..... And also an option to give a customs declaration (specifying the nature of the items and the duty which should apply) which will be furnished by FedEx whilst clearing ur shipment. Now my bad luck that FedEx was so efficient that they got my shipment custom cleared before I could act! It landed in Delhi at 4PM and was cleared by 6PM!

could someone help me out? I recently ordered 2x1 GB DDR2 patriot sticks from MemoryC.com, i opted for registered post (cmon' 10 euros shipping proved to be too tempting for me) anyways, the ireland post office can only track it till its dispatch to bombay, Who would i have to contact in bombay (india post or customs) to find out where my package is? I has been 2 weeks since i ordered.

Back