Online stores vs Offline stores

paperboat

Recruit
Hi guys,

I've looked for threads about such discussions and haven't found one, or are years old. What is the status now? I'm sure people have different different opinions about both. I'd like to know the advantages and disadvantages of purchasing computer hardware online vs offline.

In my case, the components I'm intending to buy cost around 1 lakh(about 98-105K across different online stores) excluding all peripherals. Can I get a good bargain if I go the offline way? or will it not help much? I'd have to travel a few hours to reach a city like Chennai or Bangalore. But I'm willing do it if I can save a bit, like 4-5K.

I'm sure there are other factors to it than just cost. I'd love to hear some opinions from experienced folks here. Thanks in advance.

As your order is big, I am sure retailers can give you a good bargain. Let them know first how much u will be spending like 85k+ and they will neve rlet u go as a customer.

However do check online prices too jst in case.

I would suggest to first narrow down what you need to buy, say AC, TV etc. Once done, speak to the offline retailers and ask for their best price. Stick to one retailer who sells them all. Then, compare the same against online shops.

Some models, especially for AC's or fridges, you may find different offline and online models - and newer models may be offline only. In this case, compare on specs. You can give the list here, and we can help out.

Finally, with the models shortlisted, speak to the offline retailers and ask for the best prices.

I would suggest to first narrow down what you need to buy, say AC, TV etc. Once done, speak to the offline retailers and ask for their best price. Stick to one retailer who sells them all. Then, compare the same against online shops.

Some models, especially for AC's or fridges, you may find different offline and online models - and newer models may be offline only. In this case, compare on specs. You can give the list here, and we can help out.

Finally, with the models shortlisted, speak to the offline retailers and ask for the best prices.
Hey, thanks for the reply but I wanted to discuss about the current scenario specially in the computer hardware space. How offline stores are doing against online stores in terms of pricing, assistance with respect to any issues that might rise up in future etc.

In my case, Im buying - Ryzen 1700X, Samsung 960 Evo M.2 storage, GTX 1060 card, 16GB RAM and all the usual PC components to go with them.

Hey, thanks for the reply but I wanted to discuss about the current scenario specially in the computer hardware space. How offline stores are doing against online stores in terms of pricing, assistance with respect to any issues that might rise up in future etc.

In my case, Im buying - Ryzen 1700X, Samsung 960 Evo M.2 storage, GTX 1060 card, 16GB RAM and all the usual PC components to go with them.

For computer stuff, I think unless you are getting specific deals online, offline would be the way to go.

Additionally, GPUs are expensive now, with the crypto stuff. I don't follow this, but someone else might be able to give pointers.

I have built 5 systems in the past 8 years. 6 in the last 12 years. One system was built around a pentium g dual core around 2011. Only this was the one that I bought online (from Flipkart). Rest of the systems, I bought the parts from local stores (Nehru Place when I was in Delhi, 3 systems, Lamington road when I was in Mumbai, 1 system, SP road for the newest ryzen 5 system, 1 system, and I think one more from Nehru Place long back). The point is that offline stores are also competitive when it comes to building a whole PC. I am an amazon prime customer, but guess what, Amazon doesnt offer any kind of replacements or refunds in PC Component section. You can read it up on their site and on every PC component page they explicitly mention "Item not eligible for return". Offline stores also dont offer this. But, their prices are lower than those on Amazon, at least for now.

Just make sure that you tell the shopkeeper that you need your parts in factory sealed condition and that you dont need them to assemble the system (if you are comfortable doing it yourself). You will be good to go. Oh, one more thing, ask them to make separate bill for every item. This will help you in selling the individual items down the line easily. Online prices right now are way overpiced on Amazon and Flipkart. However, if you take a look at primeabgb.com, theitdepotcom, mdcomputers.in etc. you will be surprised that their prices are lower than them. However, they will end up being more expensive than the local shopkeepers' prices in most cases due to the cost of shipping and they even ask the customer to pay the tax on online transaction (18% GST). So, unless you live in a remote area, you should go to your local market. Bargain with everybody. I did not go to any market myself, I just called everybody on the phone, added them on whatsapp and got the quotes. THen, I went with the one who had a good reputation in SP road going by online reviews. He delivered everything to my place. I live in Bangalore these days. :)

Cool. Thanks a lot for the detailed response. Yes, I wasn't looking for components on Amazon, really overpriced. I made an excel sheet of prices of each component on different online stores and so far MD Computers seems to be offering the best prices, about 3-4K lesser total compared to other online stores. Will try to get whatsapp numbers of some dealers in Ritchie Street, Chennai like you suggested. I'll hopefully get a good deal :)

Back