CPU/Mobo Only browser can connect to the internet. Apps, and games like discord, Valorant, and League of Legends cannot connect to the internet.

Samnime

Patron
As I mentioned in the title, apps other than the browser aren't able to connect to the internet.

Important tech specs:

• Asus rog strix z370-e gaming
  • Intel i7 8700k
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws 16gb x 2 / corsair vengeance 8gb (for testing).
  • rtx 3060
Here are the things I tried to fix the issue:

1. Used a VPN. Used from multiple locations.
  2. Turning off my firewall.
  3. Turning off windows defender.
  4. Reinstalling Windows 10.
  5. Upgrading to Windows 11.
  6. Downgrading to Windows 7.
  7. Updating/downgrading the network drivers (Have tried at least 5 different versions, on all operating systems I've mentioned).
  8. Swapping out the ram.
  9. Using a USB wireless adapter.
  10. Using ethernet.
  11. Using a different SSD.
I got a new motherboard and CPU so I can get back to work, but I would like to try and fix this issue. The new motherboard and CPU seemed to fix all the issues. Pretty sure it's a motherboard issue at this point, contacted Asus and since it's out of warranty they said there isn't anything they can do. Would anyone know what to look for, or what to test when looking at a motherboard issue such as this?

Thank you for reading!

TL;DR: Some apps on my Asus motherboard refuse to connect to the internet, don't know what I should be looking at to potentially fix this.

Which browser are you able to connect.

Check Edge, chrome and Firefox

Have you installed any application which changed the Internet proxy settings?

Sounds like a DNS issue, some apps/browser may have hardcoded DNS which is why they may be working and other apps aren't. Check your IP/DNS settings for IPv4. Right click on your network icon in the taskbar, open Network & Internet settings, click on Change adapter options, double click on your network adapter, Click on Details to see your current IP, Gateway and DNS servers.

There may be an invalid configuration handed to you by your dhcp server, which should be your wifi/home router.

Proxy issue is what it seems to me. Check your TLS, try using a different network like Mobile Hotspot and see if it works.

Which browser are you able to connect.

Check Edge, chrome and Firefox

Have you installed any application which changed the Internet proxy settings?
All browsers work, I've fresh installed windows so nothing that can change proxy settings. Have also tried turning off proxy settings. Still nothing :(

Sounds like a DNS issue, some apps/browser may have hardcoded DNS which is why they may be working and other apps aren't. Check your IP/DNS settings for IPv4. Right click on your network icon in the taskbar, open Network & Internet settings, click on Change adapter options, double click on your network adapter, Click on Details to see your current IP, Gateway and DNS servers.

There may be an invalid configuration handed to you by your dhcp server, which should be your wifi/home router.
I have tried changing my DNS. But what do you mean by "There may be an invalid configuration handed to you by your dhcp server, which should be your wifi/home router." And how do I check/change this?

Proxy issue is what it seems to me. Check your TLS, try using a different network like Mobile Hotspot and see if it works.
Yes, I just tried using my mobile hotspot as someone had suggested in this thread. Still giving me the same error :(

If t
I have tried changing my DNS. But what do you mean by "There may be an invalid configuration handed to you by your dhcp server, which should be your wifi/home router." And how do I check/change this?

As in, an invalid DNS server. But that possibility is negated if you've tried changing your DNS settings to a public DNS server.

Have you tried investigating your routing table? More information about this here: https://kevincurran.org/com320/labs/routing.html

It's possible your default routes have been deleted or changed to something unusable.

What vpn are you using?. And you are trying to access internet inside the apps, games while this vpn is disabled right?

If t

As in, an invalid DNS server. But that possibility is negated if you've tried changing your DNS settings to a public DNS server.

Have you tried investigating your routing table? More information about this here: https://kevincurran.org/com320/labs/routing.html

It's possible your default routes have been deleted or changed to something unusable.
Okay, will try this and get back to you. Thanks for the insight!

What vpn are you using?. And you are trying to access internet inside the apps, games while this vpn is disabled right?
I'm using surfshark. Have tried with and without the VPN, have even uninstalled the VPN and tried just in case.

Which ISP?
Using JIO fiber, but have also tried with my Vodafone and airtel hotspots.
If t

Okay followed the steps exactly and everything seems to be normal. Still no luck with internet connection on some apps. Did a couple of tests using Discord PTB client where I could check error logs, where it kept giving me an SSL handshake error. Is there a more reliable way to test for this? Discord on chrome works perfectly, but the desktop client keeps loading.
If t

Here is the discord PTB error it's spitting out on the desktop client

Attachments

• 1654533368654.png
    1654533368654.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 83
Can you try updating those apps which are facing issues connecting to internet?
Is browsing working fine on all browsers and websites?
Check your system time/date and it should auto sync with your router and also check for your systems time zone it should be +5:30 region.

How are the system time/date settings? I remember having a similar issue when my clock was one second out of sync — I corrected the time zone and changed clock sync from auto to manual to back to auto.
+1 to the time zone setting. Pls check if the time zone set properly in windows / BIOS.
Make sure the date and time in both windows and the bios were correct. Also, replaced the CMOS battery just in case that was causing some sort of desync. Still giving me the same unable to connect to internet error on my apps :(

Can you try updating those apps which are facing issues connecting to internet?
Is browsing working fine on all browsers and websites?
Check your system time/date and it should auto sync with your router and also check for your systems time zone it should be +5:30 region.
No unable to update those app as they are not able to connect to the internet for said updates. Date and time are also set to the correct region. I was hoping there would be some sort of Asus diagnostic tool so I could confirm this is a issue with my motherboard.

I don't think it's a hardware issue but you can try to take all the standard steps exactly as they're meant to be taken and then see if it's actually your motherboard, my guess is that it's related to bios or some network driver shenanigans.
I'd suggest starting from scratch with the most barebone changes, it'd be better if you don't do anything besides the given steps and if something fails, that could be your culprit.

Keep the ethernet connected.
Disconnect all drives except the primary os drive.
Reset the bios.
Update the bios.
Format os partition and boot record.
Install a clean windows iso.
Update windows
Download Chrome from Edge.
Browse around the web, see if everything's fine.
Download your apps from their official sites, don't re-use anything from previous downloads or try out some obscure site for a different version of an app, get the basic official version from the main page.
Try the apps.

If the apps still can't connect,
Get wireshark.
Run a capture with the browser then with the app and then post the log here and/or to other places you have asked the question.

The reason why i've put in the steps is because generally we overlook something very simple like maybe a virus is loading from your other drives or partitions, maybe an incorrect config is being applied somehow as a part routine (like constantly clearing %temp% folder right after installation), maybe some software is wiping the routing table and/or messing with the network driver. Don't install any additional network driver or software (even the ones required by your motherboard/asus) until you are sure the issue is in the mobo and not in the drivers itself. And as a plus point you can directly make sure you are doing everything right and that there is an issue outside normalcy. I agree though, failing mobo is a pain to troubleshoot.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a hardware issue but you can try to take all the standard steps exactly as they're meant to be taken and then see if it's actually your motherboard, my guess is that it's related to bios or some network driver shenanigans.
I'd suggest starting from scratch with the most barebone changes, it'd be better if you don't do anything besides the given steps and if something fails, that could be your culprit.

Keep the ethernet connected.
Disconnect all drives except the primary os drive.
Reset the bios.
Update the bios.
Format os partition and boot record.
Install a clean windows iso.
Update windows
Download Chrome from Edge.
Browse around the web, see if everything's fine.
Download your apps from their official sites, don't re-use anything from previous downloads or try out some obscure site for a different version of an app, get the basic official version from the main page.
Try the apps.

If the apps still can't connect,
Get wireshark.
Run a capture with the browser then with the app and then post the log here and/or to other places you have asked the question.

The reason why i've put in the steps is because generally we overlook something very simple like maybe a virus is loading from your other drives or partitions, maybe an incorrect config is being applied somehow as a part routine (like constantly clearing %temp% folder right after installation), maybe some software is wiping the routing table and/or messing with the network driver. Don't install any additional network driver or software (even the ones required by your motherboard/asus) until you are sure the issue is in the mobo and not in the drivers itself. And as a plus point you can directly make sure you are doing everything right and that there is an issue outside normalcy. I agree though, failing mobo is a pain to troubleshoot.
Sorry for the late reply, took me a few days to try all the things you suggested. None of them seem to have worked. Decided to sell the CPU and just move on. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Back