Budget 31-40k Only Cabinet - Will be buying this weekend

indy1811

Skilled
  1. Q: What is your budget?
  2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel E6300
    • Motherboard - Intel946gz
    • GPU - XFX 7600GT
    • RAM - 2GB DDR2
    • Monitor - Benq G2222HDl
    • SMPS - Local
    • HDD - 1TB Seagate

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Benq G2222HDl
    • HDD - 1TB Seagate
  4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i5 3450
    • Motherboard - Intel DH77EB
    • GPU - 1GB HD 7850
    • RAM - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX
    • SMPS - Antec 450W or Corsair 430V2
    • Cabinet - Corsair Carbide 300R or Coolermaster HAF912
    • DVD/RW - Asus or Liteon
    • (please mention the rest in above format)
  5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
    • SSD - 120GB
  6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bangalore - S.P Road
  7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Maybe Graphics card
  8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None
  10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Latest games - almost all genres except RPGs.
  11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - ? - depends on what the gfx can drive smoothly.
    2. Desktop - 1920x1080
  12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 8

So, what do you guys think? Good config or does it need radical changes? I don't intend to overclock. What i would like though is inbuilt wifi and bluetooth on my motherboard. Can't seem to find any good ones below 8k. Any suggestions. Also, do i need a soundcard? I have the AudioTechnica Ath-M50s.

Intel Core i5 3450 ~11K
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H ~4.3K
Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 1600MHz 2 X 4GB ~3.1K

Seasonic S12II 520W ~4.3K
Corsair Carbide 300R ~3.8K
MSI R7850 PE 2GB ~15K Or Sapphire 7870 OC Edition 2GB ~18K
(Personal exp : playing black ops 2 with all max settings at 1900 X 1080 res on 32 inch TV with 7870 GHZ edtion. Avg FPS :85, About to test BF3 now)
HP/Asus DVDRW ~1K
Netgear N150 Wireless WNA1100 ~0.7K (Or you can get any NIC card, Do not have much info in them, wait for NIC suggestion from someone else)
Any Bluetooth dongle -150-200 bucks.
Logitech MK200 KB.Mouse combo ~0.8K

For ATH-M50, get Asus Xonar from pristinenote. Suggested Mobo has 1 PCIex16 3.0 slot, 1 PCIex4 slot and 2 PCI slots. so you will be able to fit 1 GPU, 1 sound card and 1 NIC card easily imo.
Wait for better suggestions from alpha or jakob for sound card.

http://www.techenclave.com/pristinenote/asus-xonar-sound-cards-dg-108075/

crossbow

Thanks for the suggestions bro...

I don't want extra peripherals and would prefer if the motherboard had both bluetooth and wifi...like a laptop. Aren't there cheaper power supplies? My local wala lasted 5 years without any problems. I would be using a 1GB 7850 card and not 2GB.

Doesn't the H77 chipset have better performance than the B75? Why does everyone keep suggesting the Gigabyte?

Also, anybody knows who stocks the most cabinets in S.P Road Bangalore? I plan to get a good cabinet and would like to see them in person rather than judge them based on photos.

You are welcome bro.

I personally do not know about MoBo model which includes built in WiFi and Blue-tooth. But I am pretty much sure that it would be costlier. And with additional 1K (700 bucks for USB WiFi adapter and 200 bucks for bluetooth dongle, both USB, no MoBo slot occupying) you can easily include both WiFi and blue features.

You are lucky you local PSU lasted 5 years. And in most common scenarios it would last too where PC is used in most common tasks. But When you have components like some advanced GPU (and power hungry too) in your box and when you are fragging COD n00bs or BF3 b00bs for longer duration, or doing some heavy resource activity, Stable Power supply comes into picture.
There are numerous articles available explaining why a good quality PSU is important.
One discussion at THW : how important is psu, pc cases, and good cooling - Power-Supplies-PC-Cases-Case-Mods - CPU-Components. I guess TE also has some guide sort of thing on PSU.
Tagging @ALPHA17 and @Jakob here, they will provide better answer then me on PSU importance here. All I would say is When you are building gaming PC, compro in PSU can lead to other severe issues, like BSOD, and Hardware "Bhoom-Bhadaka" etc etc at extreme.

Though 7850 is good GPU, 7870 will give excellent performance on 1080p res with high details. So If budget permits, get that imo. Else 7850 will also work.
Here's comparison : AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 .It should help you decide.

Now H77 part. Main noticeable difference between B75 and H77 would be support of raid and more number of USB2/3 and SATA2/3 ports.
Check this out : LGA 1155 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Ivy bridge chip-set comparison table.
So for your usage and budget POV, B75 should suffice.

That particular model : B75M-D3H is best bang for the bucks in sub 4K catagory MoBos, so it is advised by all. I myself own this mobo. And it has all things which I need right now. 1 SATA3 port. 4 USB3 ports. 1 PCIEx16 3.0 port for latest ATI 7XXX series and Nvidia 6XX series GPU.
Only downer is less number of fan connections on-board for me. I want to add 4 case fans, but I will need to buy separate Fan controller for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
@crossbow

Yup, thanks for the suggestions, Again.

Let me clarify something. When i meant cheaper PSU's i meant cheaper than the Seasonic one you've mentioned. I know the importance of a good SMPS but was under the impression that the higher rated ones are more useful only when you plan on overclocking your system. For my config, won't the one's i've mentioned in the OP (Antec 450W or Corsair 430V2) be sufficient?

The mobo you've mentioned is the most commonly recommended one across TE. I've seen it being recommended for all the budget PCs. Will definitely think about it although i prefer the Intel motherboard just for warranty reasons.

indy1811 Go with this-
Intel i5 3550-12.4k OR i5 3450-11.5k
Intel DH77EB-7k[Instead of getting inbuilt Bluetooth go for external Bluetooth device]
Gskill RipjawsX 2X4GB 1600mhz-3.4k
Sapphire HD7850 OC-13.8k
Seasonic S12ii 520W-4.3k
Nzxt Source 210 Elite-2.7k OR Corsair 300R-3.5k
HP Box DVD RW-1k
It's better to go with Seasonic S12ii 520W PSU for HD7850 cause even though 450W PSU is enough for HD7850 the Corsair CX430V2 isn't solid to run it,Telling from a personal aexperience i've seen Corsair CX430 failing few times.So best get a quality psu which will be good enough for future.
The Gigabyte B75 chipset doesn't have PCI x1 slot so you won't be able to install the soundcard so get the Intel DH77EB,For the soundcard you'd go with Asus Xonar DX-5.4k it's the best within that budget and SQ is truly great.
Hope this helps.:)

just wondering, Is 1gb memory enough these days. i run out of dedicated memory on every game , on a 1gb card. usage is above 950 on all the latest titles....seems like 2gb is bare minimum these days

1GB Memory is alright to play the latest titles,Basically if you spend 10k or more you get 2GB VRAM anyway so it depends on you how much you want to spend on the gpu and the level of detailing you want.
just wondering, Is 1gb memory enough these days. i run out of dedicated memory on every game , on a 1gb card. usage is above 950 on all the latest titles....seems like 2gb is bare minimum these days

For 1080p it is good. But if you want to go above 1080p, firstly no sub-15000/- graphics card will give you playable frame rates (thanks to the scale) and secondly, the 2GB V-RAM will sit pretty like a duck and the GPU will not be capable of using it.

Even the HD7850 in my opinion should do fine with a GB of V-RAM.

If you are running out V-RAM it is not a bad thing, if it is lying idle on you, then yes something is very wrong.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Here's the final config I've decided on with a last minute addition :D

Intel i5 3450
Intel DH77EB
Gskill RipjawsX 2X4GB 1600mhz
Sapphire HD7850 OC
Seasonic S12ii 520W
Corsair 400R
HP Box DVD RW

Intel 120GB 330 SSD or Crucial M4 or Corsair Force 3
? Which one would you suggest? Are there any better options in the 7-8k price range?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Here's the final config I've decided on with a last minute addition :D

Intel i5 3450
Intel DH77EB
Gskill RipjawsX 2X4GB 1600mhz
Sapphire HD7850 OC
Seasonic S12ii 520W
Corsair 400R
HP Box DVD RW

Intel 120GB 330 SSD or Crucial M4 or Corsair Force 3
? Which one would you suggest? Are there any better options in the 7-8k price range?

For the SSD, the best option in the sub-8000/- price bracket is the OCZ Vertex4, you can pick up a 128GB version for as low as ~7600/- from here -- OCZ 128GB Vertex 4 SSD.

Rest everything is good.

Any particular preference for the Intel motherboard because you also can get one of these --
  • Intel DH77-KC ~6500/-
  • GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
Hope this helps, Cheerio!

@ALPHA17

Thanks. Will look into it.

The gigabyte is good but i prefer the reliability and the extra ports on the Intel. The KC is an ATX mobo, so it will be better i guess.

OP wants to add Xonnar DX sound card,So the Gigabyte B75 chipset doesn't have PCIx1 slot and Intel DH77-KC has the PCIx1 slot on the right side of the PCIx16 slot so external GPU might come between them.Hence Intel DH77EB suggested.
For the SSD, the best option in the sub-8000/- price bracket is the OCZ Vertex4, you can pick up a 128GB version for as low as ~7600/- from here -- OCZ 128GB Vertex 4 SSD.

Rest everything is good.

Any particular preference for the Intel motherboard because you also can get one of these --
  • Intel DH77-KC ~6500/-
  • GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H ~4500/-
Hope this helps, Cheerio!

OP wants to add Xonnar DX sound card,So the Gigabyte B75 chipset doesn't have PCIx1 slot and Intel DH77-KC has the PCIx1 slot on the right side of the PCIx16 slot so external GPU might come between them.Hence Intel DH77EB suggested.

^^ PCIe x1.0 peripherals can be retrofitted on PCIe x16.0 slots, let me check and I will provide links as well. In that case the GIGABYTE should be good to go.

Yep it is possible, check here --> Can I put PCIe x1 cards in PCIe x16 slot? - bit-tech.net Forums

@indy1811, GIGABYTE India are pretty reliable in my books. Especially in major metros, it should not be a problem. In-fact one of my friends got a free upgrade from them because the refurbished boards they were providing were not upto mark (in Bangalore itself, 1 year back).

Alright,If that's the case then OP will run the soundcard in other PCIx16 slot which will run as PCIx4 in Gigabyte B75 D3H.Thanks for the info.
^^ PCIe x1.0 peripherals can be retrofitted on PCIe x16.0 slots, let me check and I will provide links as well. In that case the GIGABYTE should be good to go.

Yep it is possible, check here --> Can I put PCIe x1 cards in PCIe x16 slot? - bit-tech.net Forums

indy1811, GIGABYTE India are pretty reliable in my books. Especially in major metros, it should not be a problem. In-fact one of my friends got a free upgrade from them because the refurbished boards they were providing were not upto mark.

Thanks for all the help guys, here's what i finally ended up buying:

All prices are exclusive of tax so add 5.5% to the final price.

Intel Core i5 3450 - 10500
Intel DH77EB - 6000
4*2 Gskill Sniper - 3000 (Ripjawsx was available for 2600)
Sapphire 7850 2GB - 14600
Seasonic 520W - 3500
Logitech G400 - 1400
Coolermaster Enforcer - 6300
Asus DVD R/W - 1000
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD - 7600

And guess where i got it from?

Back