OpenWRT Supported Router Recommendation

Hello there. I am using D-Link DIR 1260 in AP Mode to my JioFiber Router. D-Link Router was perfectly stable for 2 months. Now it's gets powered off on it's own once every day at random times. I am not able to figure out the cause. I'll get it replaced but I need a new router to run in AP mode. Any suggestions? How is the new Gigabit Edition of Mi Router?

on my list too but only 2 lan post on back, enough?
Current Setup: JioFiber Router -> D-Link Router in AP Mode.

New Setup: JioFiber Router -> Ethernet Switch (Will connect few devices here) -> D-Link Router in AP Mode.

I am thinking of going this router as I understand switch is more stable. I have given the D-Link Router to service center. They have confirmed over heating and will arrange a replacement router soon. What do you guys suggest?

Recently bought an old TP-Link WR841N from a FM here and converted it to DDWRT. Works good in AP mode.
Works in AP mode. But by default it doesn't allow intercommunication between the nodes unless you setup a startup script in it. Without that file sharing/chromecast/network printer etc won't work.

Now it's gets powered off on it's own once every day at random times. I am not able to figure out the cause.
Don't assume openwrt/ddwrt are always stable or bug free compared to OEM. If you are buying a new router anyway, you should consider getting the router that supports your needs right out of the box. Don't rely on openwrt/ddwrt support.

BTW, have you tried reflashing OEM firmware on your troublesome router? It solves the issue the most of the times. If it doesn't then downgrade the firmware to previous version.

I couldn't find support for A6/C6 on Openwrt. Also this particular mediatek chip have some issues with the latest openwrt version.
I don't know how you searched but both A6 and C6 are well supported by openwrt including latest 21.02.
Moreover the particular Mediatek chipset (MT7621) is one of the best supported chipset and same is used in Mi Gigabit edition.

I don't know how you searched but both A6 and C6 are well supported by openwrt including latest 21.02.
Moreover the particular Mediatek chipset (MT7621) is one of the best supported chipset and same is used in Mi Gigabit edition.
It's difficult to find version 3 unless I personally visit Lamington Road. There are problems with this chipset for openwrt. https://forum.openwrt.org/t/openwrt-on-mt7621-mt7615n-devices-with-5ghz-problems/107392

My D-Link Router uses the same chipset. I am little wary of going any router with the same chipset. I'll double the budget to 6K. Any better options?

It's difficult to find version 3 unless I personally visit Lamington Road. There are problems with this chipset for openwrt. https://forum.openwrt.org/t/openwrt-on-mt7621-mt7615n-devices-with-5ghz-problems/107392

My D-Link Router uses the same chipset. I am little wary of going any router with the same chipset. I'll double the budget to 6K. Any better options?
Archer doesn't uses MT7615N wifi chip, and Amazon is shipping v3 of Archer A6 as per recent reviews.

Moreover I am using openwrt on Netgear 6350 that uses MT7621 SOC with MT7615 wifi chip (Not MT7615N though), and there is no problem with wifi.

Last edited:
Your router (R6350) was going for 3.6K in sale. Is it a good device to get?

5ghz issue is also there in A6 V3. https://forum.openwrt.org/t/adding-openwrt-support-for-archer-a6-v3/77607/267
5ghz issue was present in all MT7621 routers (including R6350) in previous openwrt version. Since 21.02 rc I have not experienced any 5 ghz issues.

Some small issues will always be present with most routers with custom firmwares. Even stock firmwares have some issues but they are not highlighted much.
With same SOC, there is not much to choose between A6/C6 or R6350.
R6350 has 128mb flash though compared to 16mb in A6/C6.

MT7621 is currently best budget SOC for Openwrt.
Broadcomm SOC is not well supported by Openwrt.
Another option is Qualcomm SOC, but good Qualcomm SOC routers are generally costlier.

5ghz issue was present in all MT7621 routers (including R6350) in previous openwrt version. Since 21.02 rc I have not experienced any 5 ghz issues.

Some small issues will always be present with most routers with custom firmwares. Even stock firmwares have some issues but they are not highlighted much.
With same SOC, there is not much to choose between A6/C6 or R6350.
R6350 has 128mb flash though compared to 16mb in A6/C6.

MT7621 is currently best budget SOC for Openwrt.
Broadcomm SOC is not well supported by Openwrt.
Another option is Qualcomm SOC, but good Qualcomm SOC routers are generally costlier.
Got it. My D-Link Router have the same SOC with 128MB flash but no support yet. https://forum.openwrt.org/t/d-link-dir-1260-support/102524

For a stable and reliable OpenWRT router I would suggest sticking with Qualcomm Athreos chipset based router. These are however a bit costlier. For a extremely well-supported stable reliable and inexpensive (giga/1000Mbps) router i would suggest the TP-Link Archer C7. The Archer C7 is often available (refurbished) on Amazon at a much lower cost.

Back