Opera 8 Final Released

operalogo.gif

After two Preview Releases and 3 public Betas, it has finally arrived! Opera 8 Final - undoubtedly, the worlds fastest and the most standards compliant web browser suite, has been released. Opera has not yet officially announced the new release, but it is already made available via Opera's FTP. So far it only seems to be available for Windows, we will update as other operative system's versions appear.

No official Changelog has been posted yet, but Opera 8 has been touted to come with a bunch of new features such as User Javascript, Atom RSS feeds aggregator and native Scalable Vector Graphics(SVG) support. The current build is at 7561, whose changelog is expected to appear tomorrow along with an official announcement on Opera.com, we will keep you updated.

Current users of Opera 7 will receive a FREE upgrade to Opera 8, and with their new licensing scheme, a single license allows you to install ad-free versions of Opera on all the computers in your household.

Download: Opera 8 Final for Windows [3.6 MB]

Download: Opera 8 for Windows (All Languages)

[RANK="www.opera.com/"]Opera.com[/RANK]

[RANK="www.neowin.net/comments.php?category=software&id=27982"]Source[/RANK]

Great! Thanks for the info there :) Now I can't wait for the linux version, I hope they have released it or will do so soon ...

A bunch of mirrors
Code:
[url]ftp://ftp.uit.no/pub/www/opera/win/800/[/url]
[url]ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/opera/win/800/[/url]
[url]ftp://ftp.hu-berlin.de/pub/www/opera/win/800/[/url]
[url]ftp://ftp.130th.net/pub/mirror/opera/win/800/[/url]
[url]http://195.153.177.76/uploads/ow32enen800.exe[/url]
:) The http mirror is pretty fast !

Any comparison withy firefox?I used opera faithfully for a good two years.Firebird 0.7 changed all that.Opera 7.x was far too slow and cumbersome then.

Opera is the best browser.
Not much change since v8 beta.But they updates the format of the .ini files so the old customisations dont work.

See http://www.opera.com/swim/

swim.jpg

The Story

Before the weekend, Opera's CEO, Jon S. von Tetzchner boldy proclaimed at a company meeting that if download numbers of Opera 8 reached 1 million within four days he would swim from Norway to the USA [press release]. Opera's communications department could not resist the temptation, and made his statement public. As any respectable CEO and gentlemen, Mr. Tetzchner stands by his word.
DOWNLOADS: 1,050,000: TARGET REACHED!
I want to thank each and every one of the one million plus people who have downloaded Opera 8 over the last days. I am proud to say that this is the most successful browser launch in the ten-year history of Opera. I have received numerous requests over the weekend on whether or not I am going to swim to the USA should we reach one million downloads. Although I blatantly admit that my promise was based more on joy and enthusiasm than my swimming abilities and physical health, I will do my very best to keep it.

- Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO
Situation report

Oslo, Norway - April 25, 2005 – 0900 CET/03:00 am EST

After his bold statement went public on Thursday, Jon has spent several hours at Bislett Bad, the nearest public swimming pool, doing laps to prepare himself for the overwhelming task ahead. On Sunday, he also spent a good half hour submerged in the bathtub at home in relatively cool temperatures to reduce the shock of the icy Oslo fjord.

"I take this challenge very seriously, but after three laps at Bislett Bad on Saturday I realized, as I was heaving like a whale, that I should probably have started the training a little bit earlier," says a slightly nervous Jon S. von Tetzchner. "I am hoping that my extra pounds of excess body fat will create enough buoyancy to keep me afloat and insulation to keep me warm."

Jon is assisted by Opera's PR manager who will be rowing alongside the adventurous CEO in the company inflatable raft on the trip across the Atlantic as an act of guilt after making the CEO's statement public. The fearless crew is currently on its way to an undisclosed location in the Oslo fjord to begin the long journey toward America in the true spirit of the Vikings before them.

New time for next update: 16:00 CET (10:00 am EST)

(Due to unforeseen difficulties of getting into a wet suit for the first time in his life, Jon started his swim one hour later than scheduled. Stay tuned for next update!)

And then dont forget to see http://people.opera.com/nicolasm/opera_ch05.svgz

Back