CPU/Mobo Operating temperatures of my CPU (i7 740QM)

avi

Skilled
I have Dell XPS L501x, with i7 740QM. I want to find out the operating CPU temperatures for this laptop. During idle conditions and low load. Anyone have laptop with same proccy?

exact description - Intel® Core™ i7-740QM (1.73GHz, 4Core/8Threads, turbo boost up to 2.93Ghz, 6M cache)

Intel official page says max is 100C.

So whats exactly is your worry??? It will throttle well between 35 to 65-70 and further stressed wont cross 80 I suppose unless you plan to OC and run some strenuous benchmarks.

So whats exactly is your worry??? It will throttle well between 35 to 65-70 and further stressed wont cross 80 I suppose unless you plan to OC and run some strenuous benchmarks.
It starts with 58C and reaches 70C in a minute or two, idle or otherwise. Just normal usage, one or two tabs open in Chrome and thats all! No youtube or anything GPU intensive. Just gmail and TE. No benchmark or gaming or anything

temps.PNG

Check CPU usage. If no abnormal processes, then you have a clogged heatsink vent.

It will throttle well between 35 to 65-70 and further stressed wont cross 80
As you can see from his screenie, this is absolutely incorrect. With a TJmax of 100C, I'm guessing throttling kicks in only around 90C.

Have you given heat vents space to breath ? If yes then its time to get it serviced/cleaned along with new TIM. Couple of years back I cleaned and re-TIM-ed my HP laptop - uses by my brother now; with the help of Youtube video. It instantly resulted in drop of 10 degrees. Though my temperatures were in range of 60s.

Back