Laptops Opinion Required - Acer Aspire 5738

nandu26

Disciple
Is Acer Aspire 5738 laptop compatible with Windows 7 OS? I've chosen this as an laternative between Dell. I've heard that this laptop is good. But I've not seen any good reviews.

Please share any opinion regarding this laptop.

Anand

nandu26 said:
Is Acer Aspire 5738 laptop compatible with Windows 7 OS? I've chosen this as an laternative between Dell. I've heard that this laptop is good. But I've not seen any good reviews.

Please share any opinion regarding this laptop.

Anand

Techtree review: Techtree.com India > Reviews > Mobile Computing > Notebooks > Acer Aspire 5738z: Desktop Replacement Notebook

User review: NEW ACER 5738 notebook - Digit's Technology Discussion Forum

It is a great laptop. The chicklet style keyboard like the Macbooks and the great battery life is the best feature of this laptop.

i bought the acer 5738z today from prime.

damages 27500

config: dual core T4200 with 2 gb ram.

rest of the config is almost same as the 5738 family

lappy supports Vista, XP.

no idea reg suport for Win 7!

At my workplace, they ordered a few hundred pieced of acer 4738 which has exactly same design but 14", core2duo and 2 gig ram. The performance of laptop is very good and even works extremely well with linux ( intel wireless chip so no probs with wireless drivers and intel graphics ) . This laptop has one of the WORST touch pad buttons ( u need to bury in ur fingers to even click them ). Other than that its a very good laptop. I am sure your config will run vista/win 7 like a champ.

rapt0r said:
At my workplace, they ordered a few hundred pieced of acer 4738 which has exactly same design but 14", core2duo and 2 gig ram. The performance of laptop is very good and even works extremely well with linux ( intel wireless chip so no probs with wireless drivers and intel graphics ) . This laptop has one of the WORST touch pad buttons ( u need to bury in ur fingers to even click them ). Other than that its a very good laptop. I am sure your config will run vista/win 7 like a champ.

I think you meant 4736.

I have not seen any new model on the Acer website with the model no. 4738.

Thanks for the replies but I've also seen a version (Acer Aspire 5738G VHP) with graphics card installed on it. It has NVIDIA® GeForce® G105M with 512 MB of dedicated DDR2 VRAM supporting NVIDIA® CUDA and 4 GB RAM.

I am not a gamer. So should I opt for 5738 or 5738G?

Does this graphics card generate heat?

Anand

In my view presently it is best vfm laptop. It comes with a full numeric keypad. It comes in three configurations namely 5738z, 5738 and 5738g. 5738z is with t4200, 5738 is with t6400 and 5738g is with t6400 and dedicated GPU. OS options are also available.

H@cKer said:
u can install windows 7 jst get all the drivers beforehand.

i had installed w7. i dint need any drivers. everything worked perfect. only thing that dint work was the webcam (i guess that will need drivers)

nandu26 said:
Thanks for the replies but I've also seen a version (Acer Aspire 5738G VHP) with graphics card installed on it. It has NVIDIA® GeForce® G105M with 512 MB of dedicated DDR2 VRAM supporting NVIDIA® CUDA and 4 GB RAM.

I am not a gamer. So should I opt for 5738 or 5738G?

Does this graphics card generate heat?

Anand

yes the gfx card will generate a little more heat than the onboard. but nothing significant. 1 thing to take into considering is that the battery life will be a little less when you use a dedicated gfx card.

i really thing you should get the 5738z @ 27.5k. its completely worth it & is pretty much the same as the 5738.

stormblast said:
i really thing you should get the 5738z @ 27.5k. its completely worth it & is pretty much the same as the 5738.
5738z comes with T4200 and 5738 comes with T6400 processor plus extra RAM. Except this they are exactly same in Hardware.

bigbyte said:
5738z comes with T4200 and 5738 comes with T6400 processor plus extra RAM. Except this they are exactly same in Hardware.

also i would like to add that the t4200 is not a pentium dual core. its just marketting tactics by intel. its same 45nm penryn core like the t6400. only diff is that the t4200 has 1mb l2 cache compared to 2mb on the t6400. its really not worth spending extra for the t6400. if you google a bit on this you will find the info & also on the specs on the intel website.

also when you spend on the 1gb extra ram, remember that you will have an odd number & your ram will not run in dual channel mode. its better to go with 1gb x 2.

another diff between the 2 is the finger scanner. but who really needs that unless its an office laptop.

stormblast said:
also i would like to add that the t4200 is not a pentium dual core. its just marketting tactics by intel. its same 45nm penryn core like the t6400. only diff is that the t4200 has 1mb l2 cache compared to 2mb on the t6400. its really not worth spending extra for the t6400. if you google a bit on this you will find the info & also on the specs on the intel website.

also when you spend on the 1gb extra ram, remember that you will have an odd number & your ram will not run in dual channel mode. its better to go with 1gb x 2.

another diff between the 2 is the finger scanner. but who really needs that unless its an office laptop.

You sure that the 5738z does not have a fingerprint reader?

Both have the same chassis and the fingerprint reader is placed just below the touchpad. So even if Acer does not provide drivers we can get it from someone who owns the higher version of the model.

I am not sure though if my presumption is correct or not as the price difference between the two models is huge, almost 6k.
Maybe they built a separate chassis for the 5738z to keep costs down.

Can anyone who has bought the 5738z confirm if it has the same battery as that on the higher priced 5738?

hotshot05 said:
You sure that the 5738z does not have a fingerprint reader?

Both have the same chassis and the fingerprint reader is placed just below the touchpad. So even if Acer does not provide drivers we can get it from someone who owns the higher version of the model.

I am not sure though if my presumption is correct or not as the price difference between the two models is huge, almost 6k.
Maybe they built a separate chassis for the 5738z to keep costs down.

Can anyone who has bought the 5738z confirm if it has the same battery as that on the higher priced 5738?

i already own the 5738z & i also saw the 5738 before purchasing.

as i have already told you. the fingerprint isnt there in 5738z. but maybe what you said could be correct, but highly unlikely.

both have a 6 cell battery. chasis & everything else is exactly the same. the differences between the 2 have already been mentioned by me above.

got a Acer Aspire 5738G from Nehru Place bout a week ago for 40k.i'm very satisfied with its performance.no lappy in that range comes close to its performance.till now havent had the chanceto run any games on it but i'm running 2 virtual os (win2k3 Server & Red Hat Enterprise Edition 5.0) on top of Vista SP2 and perf is just gr8.
if u can then go for the 5738G instead of 5738 cuz the 5738G has 1Gb (2x2GB DDR3 1066) more ram & dedicated gfx card.

bigbyte said:

also the difference shud be with GMCH:S ... XXXXz models with GL 40 and XXXX models ( without z ) with GM 45

hellgate said:
got a Acer Aspire 5738G from Nehru Place bout a week ago for 40k.i'm very satisfied with its performance.no lappy in that range comes close to its performance.till now havent had the chanceto run any games on it but i'm running 2 virtual os (win2k3 Server & Red Hat Enterprise Edition 5.0) on top of Vista SP2 and perf is just gr8.
if u can then go for the 5738G instead of 5738 cuz the 5738G has 1Gb (2x2GB DDR3 1066) more ram & dedicated gfx card.

Ever heard of the Zenith Director Plus Ultra???

It beats the 5738G comfortably in gaming performance but costs only around 39k.

stormblast said:
i already own the 5738z & i also saw the 5738 before purchasing.

as i have already told you. the fingerprint isnt there in 5738z. but maybe what you said could be correct, but highly unlikely.

both have a 6 cell battery. chasis & everything else is exactly the same. the differences between the 2 have already been mentioned by me above.

Can you tell me what is the battery capacity(in mAh) printed on the battery of your laptop?
I want to compare the battery capacities of the Acer 4736 and 5738. The 4736 has a 4400mAh battery(mentioned in Acer India website). But the Acer India website does not specify the battery capacity of the 5738 in mAh.

Back