Opinions req'd ::: 701? 16-19k

singenaadam

Skilled
Yeah, you read the title right. I did mean the Nokia 701.

Having recently used the HP Veer (webOS - loved the simple swipe/tap based interface) I realized that I may not need the million odd apps that are out there for some OSs - but the battery life seems the most important.

I need a phone that has the basic apps covered (messages/tasks/calendar/notes/email/calculator/alarms) - Belle does that and the Nokia 701 seems leagues ahead on the battery life front.

One essential app I need is that the WiFi hotspot. I need it for my Android tablet to access the net using my phone's net connection.

The Sola & Atrix2's battery life is not good as are most of the Androids/WP7.5. The Sola has a tiny battery else it was perfect, I actually prefer a red color phone. Was open to the Pantech Burst too, but the weak battery life - worse than the Sola - ruled it out.

If I could enjoy the webOS, I thought the good ol' Symbian must be OK. But, not surprisingly the 701 is out of stock almost everywhere and Sulekha has it ~18k.

Should I go for the 701?

I inferred looking at the number of views & no replies, that people thought I must be crazy to ask about Nokia. Two replies is not bad.
comp@ddict: yes, we restart our search. Did you finalize your Nexus? Where did you find the 701 for 15k?
mannuel: why not upgrade? I read somewhere that FP1 was supposed to be good. And, Nokia has maps right - that too off-line. Offline maps are supposed to be one of the highlights of Nokia phones. Pl. let me know the need to install custom firmware.

I inferred looking at the number of views & no replies, that people thought I must be crazy to ask about Nokia. Two replies is not bad.
comp@ddict: yes, we restart our search. Did you finalize your Nexus? Where did you find the 701 for 15k?
mannuel: why not upgrade? I read somewhere that FP1 was supposed to be good. And, Nokia has maps right - that too off-line. Offline maps are supposed to be one of the highlights of Nokia phones. Pl. let me know the need to install custom firmware.

I am saying not to upgrade bcoz many problems.

1.It will overclock processor 1.3Ghz well you may think its good but it reduce battery back up considerably.

2.One thing about Nokia store is that pricing of apps are ridiculous and CFW allow you to install cracked apps.

3.CFW(Custom Firm Ware) It helps to reduce the battery expense,Also the offline map is there even with CFW and all features of normal phone is there.

Features of CFW

Core Unlocked, Installserverr put into ROFS3, means if you reset Your Phone Your phone will still remain Hacked and you can install unsigned Applications and Games.
xenon Theme Effects Used, and location changed from Z to E. now you can put new theme effects in E:/Effects folder and enjoy these without flashing your Phone.
Added Nokia Lumia themes
Restart on Switch off Menu
Default wallpapers Changed
Nokia N9 Screen saver
Battery & tower indicator changed
Internet Radio added
Memory card icon in Top bar
Music and Gallery scan set to E:/Music and E:/Pictures only
Default web browser resumes downloads even after restart
Bookmarks integrated in default web browser
Browser cache to E : This mod moves the browser cache to drive E..
Tactile feedback in calls v2 : This mod enables single short vibrations when a call is made and disconnected
Name of General Profile Changed to Lumia
Default Bluetooth Name Changed to Lumia 701
Default Fm Transmitter Name Changed to Lumia 701
Transparent Music player
New Digital clock Added
New Nokia Lumia Ringtone added
Nokia old Ringtone added
Clock alert changed
New Semi transparent wether widgets
Transparent contacts widgets
Transparent Mechanical clock
KS Improve