Optimus Net OR HTC Explorer

mdums

Disciple
1. Q: Budget?
A: 10k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: TFT

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: LG, HTC or Samsung

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A:Camera upto 3.2MP

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G.

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, mails and internet.

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Single sim enough

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Optimus Net or HTC

Guys Please advice on Optimus Net or HTC Explorer
There is a huge debate on both these phones and Optimus looks better(my personal view). But still there are mixed coments for both. Let me know which is better.
Also provide any links for best deals for this new year among the two phones.

Can anybody confirm if tools like Link2SD or A2SD (Darktremor) work on a rooted stock Sense 3.5 ROM? If not, then installing a custom non-Sense ROM in order to overcome the low internal memory issue doesn't make sense as it loses it's (overhyped) Sense UI.

Guys thanks for the update. it will be more appreciable if anyone comes with advantage/disadvantage of one over another in terms of processing speed/display quality/camera+video quality/battery life.

Thanks in advance.

Processor: Although the Optimus Net has a higher clocked processor, the Explorer's proccy is better

Camera: Optimus Net (Autofocus + higher resolution)

Battery: Optimus Net (Larger capacity)

Display: On paper, but are same (size and resolution). LG makes its own display, HTC sources them from other display manufacturers.

Internal Memory: Optimus Net

UI: Sense is supposedly better than LG's light skinning of Gingerbread, but it is also known to be a huge resource eater. Sense's look as well as functionality can be achieved using third party apps.

A friend of mine has the Optimus Net and she manages to squeeze more than a day's life with medium usage. I won't comment on the battery life of both devices until I've used both extensively. On paper, the Optimus Net has a significantly higher capacity battery and Sense has always been not so good on the battery.

What's so great about Sense 3.5 which can't be replicated? Why should it be the focal point of one's buying decision? We're not in 2010 anymore. Sense which was hailed to be the best UI amongst all Android phones is now know for its role in lagginess and battery draining. Vanilla is the way to go.

What's so great about Sense 3.5 which can't be replicated? Why should it be the focal point of one's buying decision? We're not in 2010 anymore. Sense which was hailed to be the best UI amongst all Android phones is now know for its role in lagginess and battery draining. Vanilla is the way to go.

More people wold disagree to this than agree.

pageisgod85 said:
Processor: Although the Optimus Net has a higher clocked processor, the Explorer's proccy is better

Camera: Optimus Net (Autofocus + higher resolution)

Battery: Optimus Net (Larger capacity)

Display: On paper, but are same (size and resolution). LG makes its own display, HTC sources them from other display manufacturers.

Internal Memory: Optimus Net

UI: Sense is supposedly better than LG's light skinning of Gingerbread, but it is also known to be a huge resource eater. Sense's look as well as functionality can be achieved using third party apps.

well picture quality is far better in explorer than net, as I have seen in naked eye. and its faster (quick response, low lag)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

pageisgod85 said:

One thing I have read in xda is that new series of HTC sets supports reverse USB tothering, but I haven't checked in explorer if it is there

Whether sense actually makes a difference depends on the user itself. Most users who are into stuff like rooting and all will surely change the launcher to lp or something better. Yet some may stick to it for it's social features and variety of lock screens.

comp@ddict said:
More people wold disagree to this than agree.

Can you come up with some reasons instead of such a vague answer? You haven't answered my question 'What's so great about Sense that can't be achieved using third party apps?' yet.
lll_aritra_lll said:
well picture quality is far better in explorer than net, as I have seen in naked eye. and its faster (quick response, low lag)

That might probably be true, however lack of autofocus severely hurts the Explorer. No Barcode Scanner, wtf?
aka911 said:
Whether sense actually makes a difference depends on the user itself. Most users who are into stuff like rooting and all will surely change the launcher to lp or something better. Yet some may stick to it for it's social features and variety of lock screens.

Agree. Also, the social features in apps/widgets like Colorize/Android Pro Widgets/Go Widgets are far better than the ones found in Sense. Same goes for lock screens w.r.t. Widgetlocker.

lll_aritra_lll said:
One thing I have read in xda is that new series of HTC sets supports reverse USB tothering, but I haven't checked in explorer if it is there

Yes it is there and its called internet pass through. You can use your pc's internet connection on explorer through data cable.

Can you come up with some reasons instead of such a vague answer? You haven't answered my question 'What's so great about Sense that can't be achieved using third party apps?' yet.

1. Maximum people don't root their phone

2. They don't use 3rd party launchers, they just want a stock phone to call, text and use

3. Sense 3.5 is much more sophisticated yet easy to use and visually appealing than other custom UIs (every review site would agree so don't ask me who said this)

4. The Sense UI isn't draining the battery or making the UI laggy, infact Explorer has a small battery size yet big battery life

So what's your argument? To use 3rd party apps?

I've been using HTC sense on my Desire S for a year now, and frankly it is miles ahead of third party apps. I mean to say that for doing the same things as social network updates, navigation, useful information feeds, you would need to keep running a lot many powerful apps in background, which the HTC Sense UI can manage very very easily and since it is so well integrated with the phone, there is nothing faster than it is. Even if you want to go vanilla, you can always create a new "Scene" with no frills to it. This would mean you have an option to go vanilla and conserve data and battery, plus you can go and show off the new eye candy to grab someone's attention. As far my experience goes, you won't be bored of it, since it is very very functional. It is just a way of saying that your phone has some common sense.

Still if you are unsure, I recommend you to find a friend who has these phones and ask them to let you play with it for a day or more.

You'll know which way to go.

Happy Hunting.

comp@ddict said:
1. Maximum people don't root their phone

2. They don't use 3rd party launchers, they just want a stock phone to call, text and use

3. Sense 3.5 is much more sophisticated yet easy to use and visually appealing than other custom UIs (every review site would agree so don't ask me who said this)

4. The Sense UI isn't draining the battery or making the UI laggy, infact Explorer has a small battery size yet big battery life

So what's your argument? To use 3rd party apps?

1. Who's talking about rooting here?

2. In that case, why should one buy a smartphone? Oh and do you have any data to back your argument? I have seen many people who know nothing about launchers but still install 'Go Launcher EX' because it gives them fancy home screen transition animations.

3. Again, instead of a blanket statement, it would be better if you come up with specific facts and figures. Visual look of the UI is clearly subjective. Some people love iOS' UI, some hate it. Same goes for WP7 or Touchwiz or motoBlur or Timescape or Sense. Review sites keep saying that Sense is good, that doesn't necessarily make it correct for everybody.

4. So, the thousands of users who have experienced better battery life and performance after flashing vanilla ROMs on their HTC android devices are lying? And how can you say that about the Explorer without using it extensively for at least 3-4 days?

All I'm saying is that Sense isn't all that great as it is hyped up to be. You can get the same functionality using other apps which are not as clunky as Sense is. In 2010 and early 2011, Sense was hailed as the next best thing since sliced bread. But most of it changed with the launch of the Galaxy S2 when people realised that a graphically accelerated UI is a lot better than UI with only eye candy. A friend of mine who owns the Desire since late 2010 recently flashed CM7 on his phone and told me that even without overclocking, the phone feels faster. The Optimus Net does not run on CM7, but its customisations don't go as deep as Sense and is closer to stock Vanilla than Sense is.

Can you please tell me how to get sense UI without rooting on my optimus

I tried go and awd launcher but both are crap. They just eat ram and make the phone slow and laggy

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

Back