Orange Box installation problem..

H@rsh

Adept
Having some problems installing orange box games :p

On entering the activation key in Steam it was accepted instantly, but it started downloading the games instead asking for the DVD! This is my first online game ever and i didn't exactly know how things work so i paused all updating and quit steam and inserted the DVD 1, but it got stuck at this screen :

Even tried running the setup as administrator, same problem.

What should i do?

On Vista x64 btw..

Do this,

Uninstall Steam completely. Don't worry, once the Key is registered to your Steam account, you OWN those Games forever. It's a One time thing and now your Steam account has those Games in them.

After Uninstallation, start installing from the DVD this time around. According to me, it will first install Steam and then the Games. The Fact here is that the Games are installed in your Steam directory.

Other thing you can do is,

Start the DVD, it will first check if you have Steam and then if it finds the Folder it will go on to Game Installation. In this Case the Games will be installed to your Steam Folder. Once done, start updating. It will always start for 0% but when it sees that you have the respective .gcf files. It will skip somewhat to 90% or so and update it with essential files.

akS !â„¢

Uninstalled steam and tried again, stuck at the same place ... :/

EDIT: Got a bad DVD i guess, it's showing read errors while copying..

Hey h@rsh.I went thru the same process and let me tell u that its normal.Once the setup installs steam,it downloads some updates and then starts installing the games from the dvd.Once the games are installed,the setup will once again starts downloading updates for all the games.Its kinda diff but it works fine at the end.....try it again and wait for all the shit to happen....

Purchased it yesterday, to my astonishment my Sony DVD R/W is not recognizing both the Disc1 and Disc2!! Need to check with different drives before I claim for replacement!!

I inserted the disk....it downloaded the games frm steam(the portal thing and tf2) and took 6 hrs....heck...n also needs internet everytime I wish to play anyth....that sucks...

yep my dvd drive didnot detect ...after a lot of changing of dvds with other blank dvds ... these ones finally got detected :D... going legit is hard :p

hehehehe....this is my first legit copy, working with the dvd and installing is seriously more difficult than the *ahem* version but ofcourse multiplayer is fun.

^^i dont see what the problem is ... install the thing & throw away the dvds..who keeps backup of those files when steam keeps updating the files every now & then/. . . :/

start steam.exe when u want to play & play..save the userid & pass & dont spread it..how tough can it get ? . . .

super_saiyan said:
^^i dont see what the problem is ... install the thing & throw away the dvds..who keeps backup of those files when steam keeps updating the files every now & then/. . . :/

start steam.exe when u want to play & play..save the userid & pass & dont spread it..how tough can it get ? . . .

I dont want playing this game dependent on internet...

sTALKEr said:
from what ive heard there've been a lot of issues with the pressing of the dvds...

Well, if my DVDs doesnot get detected in any of the DVD ROMs, I will be left with no choice expect to download the image!! I have the legit key, I will use them on these images. I believe that should work!!

Just installed everything. Took like fifteen to twenty minutes. Steam updated itself first. Downloaded some updates for the games, installed the games from the DVDs, ran some updates again and it's ready to go! Had to go to work, so will get to play after I get back home tonight.

Back