Orkut Not Opening - Suggestions needed

clown_abhi

Skilled
Hi Guys,

On my laptop, all websites open but Orkut refuses to open, it just doesn't load.
I have a wireless connection and there are 3 laptops connected. Its a 10Mbps Unlimited line.

Diagnostic:
1. Orkut doesn't open but in the last 10 days, it did open once and i was able to remove all my photos etc. After that it never goes in again.
2. Tried uninstalling all softwares installed in the last one month.
3. Did a ping to orkut and got request timed out. Google works, youtube works fine.
4. Did something called a tracing in cmd and it showed request timed out.
5. Removed browsers, tried it on chrome, firefox and IE but doesn't work on any.
6. There is one way i can get to the login screen i.e in Google home page there is a link to "more". If i click on the Orkut link provided here, i get to the login page. I enter my credentials and then whoop it says redirecting and then after some time says timed out.
7. Did ipconfig flushdns but no use.
8. Checked host file but no problems there.
9. Checked by switching off AV and still didn't open. Windows Firewall has Firefox as exception and i don't think it can block sites.
10. Tried changing MTU to 1454 as said in some other thread.
11. Tried removing skype plugin as suggested by Phoenix and also removed Skype completely but still a no no.
12. Suspected to change the orkut profile to the newer version, did it then reverted back.
13. No blocking exists coz i can access even those sites which should be blocked if any. :p

The strange thing is i can login to orkut on both the other laptops and can browse my profile absolutely fine. And both of them are on the same router same connection. So, what is it that is causing problems with orkut. Even all security settings in IE and privacy settings are the same. Java is also the same version as the other laptops Version 6 Update 17.

Guys, please help me out with this issue. I have been tryin hard for the last 2 days but i can't catch the culprit. :mad:

Techgurus, please come to the rescue. Help. :huh:

Abhi.

Which OS are you using and which one on those two other laptops?

Get IP of orkut.com by doing ping from other two laptops and try to open orkut by IP ... also try ping and traceroute by IP only.

Have you once tried using a proxy to open it. Use kproxy.com & then see if the problem still exists. BTW, you have already done many things which we may have asked.

@kekerode, i am using XP and one of my friend has the exact same laptop with XP and the other friend has Vista.

The first time, i had seen the IP of orkut in my machine was ending with .85 and on my friend's machine, it was ending with .86 but i think its not an issue coz last nos can be changed i think. Not sure though.
And i have tried going through IP but it doesn't work whichever IP i give.

@saqib_khan
I did try numerous proxies but they have some problem with orkut and some did go through but couldn't load the main page. So, proxies don't work.

Does Adobe shockwave player have any issues with Orkut?

Shites, it's been ages since I logged into any social networking site. :p

But as I see it, you've diagnosed the problems in every possible way.

you have tried most of the troubleshooting steps that most of here would have suggested, and I cannot think of anthing else.
Maybe try agentanon.com, its a proxy, just a suggestion, don't know if it will work.
Maybe sometimes the themes of orkut cause issues, if you may have applied them, just a wild guess...

1) Which DNS servers you are using? what is your ISP?

2) try opening it via some proxy or vpn like UltraSurf. the theory is that, if you can open via some proxy, then surely some blocking exists.

3) Try opening the hosts file and see if you find any entry related to orkut. remove it found. the filename is "hosts" and to open: goto run from start menu and type %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\

asingh said:
@OP:
Just a random thought. Try this.

Not a random though :) ... I had suffered from this one i past and it's very effective on XP and Vista with IE and Firefox .. I have even kept one copy of it :D

@clown_abhi : definitely give this one a try and one more ... try to boot in Safe mode with Networking support and try to open orkut from there

asingh said:
@OP:
Just a random thought. Try this.

I have checked for the heap41a but there's nothing like that on my system.

BTW, i am on Virgin Media and since my friends on the same network are able to access orkut, is it anything related to DNS? I guess not.

There has not been a single proxy in which i have tried and orkut opened. Either it gets stuck in loading o redirecting or just blank page.

Looks like, it would need a format. I am tired of trying though. :no:

I have not tried opendns, tried to read through but didn't get anything worth to try it since my friends are able to on the same network.

Thank you everybody for help :) I love TE coz everybody is ready to help even if it be a naive suggestion :p

Thank You all. Format time. :)

Back