Outlast - Discussion Thread

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Aman had outed the news about the psychological horror title in the News section during July.

“In the remote mountains of Colorado, horrors wait inside Mount Massive Asylum. A long-abandoned home for the mentally ill, recently re-opened by the “research and charity” branch of the transnational Murkoff Corporation, has been operating in strict secrecy… until now.

“Acting on a tip from an inside source, independent journalist Miles Upshur breaks into the facility, and what he discovers walks a terrifying line being science and religion, nature and something else entirely. Once inside, his only hope of escape lies with the terrible truth at the heart of Mount Massive.”

The game has been well received by the critics and the Metascores are averaging 81% right now.

This might serve as a good warm-up for Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs which releases in a few days. :p

Since Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons wrapped up pretty soon, I started this one. And it looks like the after-effects of watching The Conjuring hasn't worn off. Yet! Because, other than the first few scary sequences, I was able to breeze past the whole game in less than 5 hours! Completed it in a single sitting as well.

Well, the story is about this freelance journalist Miles Upshur who visits a psychiatric hospital based on a tip from a source that the long-abandoned Mount Massive Asylum has secretly resumed operations backed by a big-shot organisation Murkoff Corp. He goes inside to investigate and discovers the horrors that lies within that connects religion, paranormal forces and science.

Just like Amnesia (which btw was on a different level altogether in terms of the scare factor!), the only defence he has is his HD video camera which can be used to navigate through the dark non-lit areas using its viewfinder. He cannot attack hostile beings and can only escape from them by running. And this works pretty well but this man seems to have infinite stamina! We could run as long and as far as we'd want Miles to. That was a bit lousy from the part of the developers. In addition to running, he can crouch through low-lying areas, slide through narrow gaps and climb to ledges. He can run, evade and hide in any of the lockers or beneath the beds but there's no way he can kill any of those hostile creatures which is why games like these that rely purely on the state of the character (and the player) makes the experience a lot more engrossing and satisfying wanting the player to quit! A good game can be completed once or maybe twice or thrice. A good psychological horror title would instantly want you to quit! Amnesia did that to me, a LOT of times! But luckily this didn't.

There's plenty of blood and gore in the game. Well, what would we expect from an asylum that has gone haywire with its inmates! Mutilated body parts, decomposed corpses hanging from the ceiling, some impaled on a sharp wooden object, guts and organs spilled on the floor etc. And they look pretty nasty I tell you! Definitely not a game for the faint-hearted.

The sounds and tracks add to the scary bit as well. The ending was good, a bit unexpected but good. If you want a good warm-up before attempting Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, this might be it. Critics weren't very positive about Amnesia's sequel. Not sure why. Guess I'll find out in due time!

Finished my play-through yest. Took me more than 5 hours .. clocked around 7 i guess ... with a lot of trial and errors (had to refer walk-through once to find the path ahead).
The game looks nice, the visuals are decent. The way the camera works is also done pretty nicely.
Except for some set pieces there aren't much scary moments in game.
The sound is done exceptionally well and scares you more than the gameplay itself.
Definitely worth going through once. But not sure if it warrants a second run - maybe if u want to find all the documents and batteries :)

Back