OC & Modding Overclocking - Disadvantages?

tellanand

Disciple
I'm OC newbie. But I read about it widely on the net. Looks like there are some hardcore OC fans and seems to be a cult in itself.

I intend to build a new rig for myself. I'm not a gamer at all (other than some occasional ones). I use my PC mainly for Photoshop'ing, Video Editing, Emails, Internet and official VPN access. I also want to have a Linux partition to do some coding (that's my passion).

I'm very tempted to try OC'ing based on what I read around (being a techie, I tend to get very passionate about it). However I want to completely understand the pros and cons before venturing (I understand that there are special mobos for OC'ing). I also want to understand if OC'ing will buy be anything - I just want to do it for the sake of doing it!!

Can someone let me know where OC'ing is advantageous and what are the DISADVANTAGES of OC'ing?

As a note, I own a pretty old PC that I built in 2002. As you must have guessed, I don't change my computer very often.

best regards
- Anand

Main Disadvantage - Even with proper cooling, you will shorten the lifespan of your mobo and CPU, but thats not a major con because with proper cooling etc. they will work for maybe around 4-5 Years which is more than enuf for majority of people.

Advantage - You will be able to fulfill your passion, :), and get better bang for buck of your hardware components.

Kumar said:
disadvantage : You can get a nice expensive paper weight out of the PC if not done properly ;)

Can you throw some light on whether I need OC at all for the kind of App I'm planning to run (on E8600 @3.0GHz) - Photoshop (Photo editing), Video Editing, Watching movies, Emails, Internet and Office VPN access.

- Anand

for a general user i really dont see any reason to OC. considering how good the proccy's are out of the box. it is a fact that you can eke out a lot more performance and make your purchase a lot more vfm... but end of the day, you'll need to ask yourself whether you really need those extra fps in a game or the extra few seconds of video rendering time u've saved...

tellanand said:
Can you throw some light on whether I need OC at all for the kind of App I'm planning to run (on E8600 @3.0GHz) - Photoshop (Photo editing), Video Editing, Watching movies, Emails, Internet and Office VPN access.

- Anand

Oops sorry wanted to say E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

IMHO; no use in OCing if you don't intend to do very high end gaming etc. Get a better CPU the first time around - like a quad core one instead of a dual core CPU which can dramatically reduce processing times for multimedia content creation apps.

tellanand said:

- Anand

Kumar said:
IMHO; no use in OCing if you don't intend to do very high end gaming etc. Get a better CPU the first time around - like a quad core one instead of a dual core CPU which can dramatically reduce processing times for multimedia content creation apps.

Is it true that the proccy warranty is void if its OC'ed? How will Intel find out that the proccy was OC'ed? :huh:

tellanand said:
Can one actually burn the proccy by OC'ing it? I find it amusing! :)

Then, you haven't seen this famous video :eek:hyeah:
YouTube - CPU Burn

Though they took off the HS, the CPU can burn if OC is too high, greater than the heat dissipation capacity of the heat spreader on the chip or the heatsink.

Kumar said:
Then, you haven't seen this famous video :eek:hyeah:
YouTube - CPU Burn

Though they took off the HS, the CPU can burn if OC is too high, greater than the heat dissipation capacity of the heat spreader on the chip or the heatsink.

Man I'd not seen that video - scary! Thanks for the enlightenment :cool2:

Get a QuadCore get the ultima.

Disadvantage

Consider the life of your proccy to be 20 yrs (Easily more than that) 1ce you OC to a safe limit with safe volts which are under the recommended volts you wont be even shortening the life span of your proccy even if you do ull make it 18 yrs from 20. Ya right you arent gonna change your PC in 18 yrs.

So the decision is upto you and ya in the video they use the Proccy without an HSF and the Intel proccys arent even connected.

Well...system stability is always an issue with overclocking.:p

This link may help you further-

Overclocking

Basically what i think is, it should only be done if one really needs that performance boost,

there's no point wasting power and CPU cycles just for the sake of it..:p

H2O said:
Get a QuadCore get the ultima.

Disadvantage
Consider the life of your proccy to be 20 yrs (Easily more than that) 1ce you OC to a safe limit with safe volts which are under the recommended volts you wont be even shortening the life span of your proccy even if you do ull make it 18 yrs from 20. Ya right you arent gonna change your PC in 18 yrs.

So the decision is upto you and ya in the video they use the Proccy without an HSF and the Intel proccys arent even connected.

How do you find out the 'safe limit' for a proccy?

I understand that the different processor families have differences in architecture, cache etc. However, for incremental processors of the same family (like the E8200 and E8400 OR the Q6600 or Q6700), the prominent difference I see is the clock rate. My gut tells me that there has to be some modification in the chip to enable it to run at a higher clock rate - but why can't Intel just sell Q6600 or E8200 by overclocking it, if it's well within the safe limit? :S

Back