CPU/Mobo Overclocking will NOT Void Warranty!

PH0ENiX

Skilled
i have seen a exorbitant amount of people saying "overclocking=void warranty,failed gpu,too expensive" blah blah.

i decided to write this to provide a Clear view on What can and What wont Void warranty.

first lets talk about a GPU,it got a shroud on the front,with a fan and heat sink inside which is screwed to PCB and in some cases a cool looking backplate on the back which is again screwed to the PCB

first picture is a shroud and the second picture is a backplate.
300s7ma.jpg

Now Since You now about your GPU lets come back to our main topic.
now read these points

1)most companies offer overclocking tools with the gpu like msi afterburner,zotac firestorm,palit thundermaster etc... on a dvd (exception is cheapo chinese cards)

2)NONE of the companies state overclocking will void your warranty.

The Warranty is Provided on the Shroud and anything related to it And the BIOS of the gpu

your gpu has a very Weak heatsink/waterblock inside the shroud.When paired With overclocking software like afterburner/jetstream(see above) You cannot push above a limit on modern gpus and
hence you cannot void your warranty.

so why do people say overclocking voids warranty?
not because they are dumb but because they are correct,Any thing you do past either design specifications, like supplying a constant 2.0v to a 1.50v CPU, or delidding a CPU, or hardware modding and voltage jumping, or lapping a CPUs heat spreader, etc.

Overclocking staying within CPU or GPU specifications is what most all of us do, and no matter what anyone has to say the warranty will still be honored under those circumstances!

plus if you are still scared let me drop another bomb overclocks done using msi afterburner & friends are temorary.your GPU manufacturer cannot know about it

AN EXCEPTION TO EVERYTHING WRITTEN ABOVE IS EVGA .Burn your card and they will give you a new one! Hail Evga !(plus they are the only one to offer global warranty)

now the biggest question,why did i write this?
it's important to educate yourselves of which lines to or not to cross are, and you can stay well within your warranty with overclocking

p:s in case of unlocked cpu's it is almost the same,stay under specs and no issues BUT excessive voltage,modding,delidding,bios/chipset hacks and goodbye. waterblocks also DONT wont cpu warranty.Go buy that EK supremacy evo!

pulled this from intel
WARNING:
Altering clock frequency and/or voltage may: (i) reduce system stability and useful life of the system and processor; (ii)
cause the processor and other system components to fail; (iii) cause reductions in system performance; (iv) cause additional heat or other
damage; and (v) affect system data integrity. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of the processor beyond its
specifications. Intel assumes no responsibility that the processor, including if used with altered clock frequencies and/or voltages, will be
fit for any particular purpose.

exception is intel protection plan and unlocked cpus

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3007124/overclocking-ruin-warranty.html
http://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/warranty_processor_english.pdf

Last edited:
Back