CPU/Mobo overheatin problem+ motherboard query??

aka911

Skilled
ok, so one of my cousin is havin folllowin problem....
He has

P4 2.4 proccy
Intel orig MB 865GBF with HT and atx cabinet
It has good ventilation and no fan problems..
as soon as computer is swiched on it automatically shuts down.
again when it is started is starts with a musical beep shwing this message"YOUR COMPUTER WAS PREVIOSLY SHUTDOWN DUE A THERMAL EVENT(OVER HEATING), PRESS F4 TO START. and after this the computer starts and works normally..."

morever he contacted the local computer shp which is offerin him followin--

2.66 64 BIT PROCCY INTEL.
MB-ASROCK 915 CHIPSET,64 BIT,
Now tell me
1) what is better ?? HT or 64 bit
2)how good is asrock??or whatever...
3)any solution fr this overheatin prob??
u see i dunno much abt these things, so any help will be good..

^ First off, why does his local computer shop want to swap parts for another set of parts?

1. HT is definately much better, as multi-tasking becomes much smoother. 64-bit is only intended for addressing larger amounts of RAM.

2. Asrock is so-so, nothing like the reliability/stability of Intel Original motherboards.

3. Any idea what his processor temps are ? You could try re-installing the heatsink, i.e. remove it , apply a fresh coat of thermal paste and re-seat the heatsink to see if there's any improvement.

You could try updating the BIOS as well to see if there are any changes.

Boards have thermal limits set for the processors, once it is exceeded - it shuts down, and that appears to be the case here. I'm not sure about Intel motherboards, but certain AMD boards i've worked with have had an option to set the CPU Critical temperature/ threshold temperature , etc. So you could try searching through the BIOS for any such option and increasing the limits.

Crazy_Eddy said:
^ First off, why does his local computer shop want to swap parts for another set of parts?

1. HT is definately much better, as multi-tasking becomes much smoother. 64-bit is only intended for addressing larger amounts of RAM.

2. Asrock is so-so, nothing like the reliability/stability of Intel Original motherboards.

3. Any idea what his processor temps are ? You could try re-installing the heatsink, i.e. remove it , apply a fresh coat of thermal paste and re-seat the heatsink to see if there's any improvement.
You could try updating the BIOS as well to see if there are any changes.

Boards have thermal limits set for the processors, once it is exceeded - it shuts down, and that appears to be the case here. I'm not sure about Intel motherboards, but certain AMD boards i've worked with have had an option to set the CPU Critical temperature/ threshold temperature , etc. So you could try searching through the BIOS for any such option and increasing the limits.

:no: :no: hmm arnt u forgetting the extended register set and the ability to operate with 64 bit operands?

HT can only yield about 20% more work than a non-HT machine.A CPU has multiple resources (adders, etc). In a non-HT cpu, it can only execute one thread at a time. Not every resource is used. In a HT cpu, it can execute two threads at a time (the un-used resources can tackle on the 2nd thread).

This is helpful for both multi-threaded programs, as well as multi-tasking environments (ie: windows). Each program is a single thread, and thus thus a HT-cpu can handle two programs.

Hyperthreading doesn't have such a huge impact, but there is a noticeable difference. Finishing around 15-20% quicker is nicer too!!!

Although 32-bit systems can access 64 GB of memory, a 64-bit system will access datasets over 4 GB more directly and efficiently.The biggest advantage has to be by far addressing more memory.But do you guys think at present we have a hell of a need to address such large bulks of RAM???surely not ... so you decide HT/64-bit.

hmm arnt u forgetting the extended register set and the ability to operate with 64 bit operands?

you dont require an extended register set as of now, but yeah if 64 bit OS become the norm, then it may cause probs.

intruder said:
HT can only yield about 20% more work than a non-HT machine.A CPU has multiple resources (adders, etc). In a non-HT cpu, it can only execute one thread at a time. Not every resource is used. In a HT cpu, it can execute two threads at a time (the un-used resources can tackle on the 2nd thread).

This is helpful for both multi-threaded programs, as well as multi-tasking environments (ie: windows). Each program is a single thread, and thus thus a HT-cpu can handle two programs.

Hyperthreading doesn't have such a huge impact, but there is a noticeable difference. Finishing around 15-20% quicker is nicer too!!!

Although 32-bit systems can access 64 GB of memory, a 64-bit system will access datasets over 4 GB more directly and efficiently.The biggest advantage has to be by far addressing more memory.But do you guys think at present we have a hell of a need to address such large bulks of RAM???surely not ... so you decide HT/64-bit.
I think u are right dude..
my cousin I do not think is goin to go above 512 mb ram,so Ht shud be better fr him...

Aces170 said:
you dont require an extended register set as of now, but yeah if 64 bit OS become the norm, then it may cause probs.

:hap5: :hap5: :hap5: :rofl:

Desktop 64 bit CPUs arent created to allow you access to zigabytes of RAM, instead they are meant to allow you to get more work done per clock.

WINDOWS XP 64 bit edition has been out for a while now also.

Desktop 64 bit CPUs arent created to allow you access to zigabytes of RAM, instead they are meant to allow you to get more work done per clock.

M8 did you know how much of time it took us to port to 32bit from 16bit. Thats what I am trying to say, unless 64bit OS becomes a norm, 64bit is gonna be a hype only.

Also hardly any apps show a great increase in performance in 64 bit.

Back