OC & Modding Overvolting problem with P5N32-e-SLI

After playing with this board for a while, I maxed out at 3825mhz (1.55v), with mem at 500mhz (4-4-4-12)(2.35v).... superpi 1m @ 13.4xx secs...

After that, I ran 3210mhz(1.4v), 500mzh (4-4-4-12@2.15v) for a couple of days… Stable Orthos for 3 hours…

Suddenly the board became unstable after one boot, and reported a checksum error. After that, it refused to pass any stability test (though it booted windows). Even a cmos clear and reverting all settings to default (no overclock) did not get it stable. Could run SuperPi 1m, but not 32m.

After changing the mem modules around, I noticed they were really hot, and checked v-mem in bios. Although the setting was 2.10v, the “Hardware monitor” page showed it as 3.2v!!

Immediately set v-mem to Auto and rebooted to Bios settings…again 3.2v actual volts.
Tried various things in bios, but didn’t let it boot. Only flashing back to 302bios worked in getting it back to 1.9v actual volts.

But the 302 bios won’t let me boot windows. (says error loading operating system…whats with that?).
Reflashing back to 1002(usual bios) or 1101(latest) etc, all saw the v-mem go to 3.2v.

Anybody have a clue whats up?

Are you talking about windows hardware monitor software or hardware monitor page in the bios.

Dont trust what it tells ya in windows.

Anyway, this board by default, over volts a little on memory.

If you set 2.08 it gives 2.12 real.

But not by that margin.

Also no DDR2 chip will be alive if it was actually fed with 3.2vdimm. It will die instantly.

As your ram chips are still working, it did not get 3.2v

Do this.

Remove cmos battery. Remove the PSU connection from board.

Leave it like that for 30 mins.

Put the battery back in and do all connection.

Flash it to 902 Bios.

And see what happens.

Funky said:
Are you talking about windows hardware monitor software or hardware monitor page in the bios.
Dont trust what it tells ya in windows.

Both BIOS and windows show very similar volst (around 3.18-3.2v)

Anyway, this board by default, over volts a little on memory.
If you set 2.08 it gives 2.12 real.
But not by that margin.
Also no DDR2 chip will be alive if it was actually fed with 3.2vdimm. It will die instantly.
As your ram chips are still working, it did not get 3.2v

RAM is dead. On another system, it just loads windows about 50% of the time, but hangs even if a program is started.
Do this.
Remove cmos battery. Remove the PSU connection from board.
Leave it like that for 30 mins.
Put the battery back in and do all connection.
Flash it to 902 Bios.
And see what happens.

Just tried it...no use... just the same temps in bios....
Could it be something wrong with the memory?

Reason I'm asking is I wnat to try some other mem, but afraid the mb will screw that also.

How is Asus RMA? will i get it changed quick?

Funky said:
Flash it to 902 Bios.
And see what happens.
902??

I have only 903, which I downloaded from ASUS website... is 902 some other BIOS, or did you make a typo;) ...

if you have 902, can you pls pls give me the link

nope it was typo.

No ram will survive the 3.2v so i suggest you not to put any other memory in.

There is simple solution to find out the memory voltage.

You will need a DMM for it.

see this thread.

Anyone have a p5n32-E/Striker vmem measuring point? - XtremeSystems Forums

Measure the voltage between point shown there and ground ( any ground terminal will do, like middle pins of molex) and see how much it is.

If its 3.2 simply rma the board. That means come mosfet or vmem capacitor is shorted and feeded 3.3v directly to the memory. which is deadly for any DDR2 chip.

Back