Papo & Yo - Discussion Thread

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Another PSN game comes to the PC users! The game's story is inspired by the developer founder's abusive alcoholic father and the several ways with which he had to put up with him. :rolleyes:

Just completed the title. And I have no words to express how awesome this game is! :eek:

The game was very short - maybe 4 hours tops but absolutely lovely! I really wish the critics were a little less harsh on this one. Trust me when I say this, if you loved playing Limbo you SHOULD (in bold letters YES!) play this game.

The game metaphorises the developer's actual childhood and captures every moment of it so vividly. He was subjected to a lot of abuse by his alcohol addict father, who would come home after work, get drunk, break his toys, beat him and would just crash for the night and wake up the next day without any feeling of remorse or being hurtful. The soundtracks were amazing - fits the theme beautifully and adapts to the gameplay.

The title - Papo & Yo, implies father and I/me. The whole gameplay revolves around two major characters - a young Brazilian boy called Quico and Monster, a one-horned Rhino-like giant creature who is modeled after his alcoholic father and the whole thing happens within a dream-like Brazilian favela. Quico can interact with the buildings and the Monster can step over pressure plates activating a switch and his belly can be used to reach higher areas. Quico has a robot toy called Lula who helps him navigate through the puzzles. The story which is divided into 5 major acts each of which contains 6-7 short chapters takes us through a beautiful journey of his childhood!

This is a must play! Kudos to this guy for being so creative with his work of art. Wonderful 3D puzzle-platformer.

@quixand - I think the PSN version should have some trophies. Either way, you should play this game!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back