Storage Solutions Partitions not accessible in Windows 7 but in only in XP

nRiTeCh

Skilled
I have a WD320Gb Blue HDD and in warranty.

It is working in perfect condition. It has got 7 partitions.

Problem is, two of its logical partitions are not accessible in Windows 7.

1.jpg

If I try to assign a drive letter I get this message,

2.jpg

Those are only accessible from Windows xp and work just great. And they were also created under Win xp a long time back.

So its a puzzling issue that all my partitions on all hard drives were created in XP itself before I moved to Win 7 then why only these 2 logical partitions are facing this problem and others are working fine?? No clear reference on google as well.

So any member faced similar issues ever?

Before doing anything back up data
1) try going to services.msc and restart virtual disk service
2) use diskpart command from command prompt with elevated mode and assign drive letter via commands

Already tried all of diskpart. The 2 volumes themselves arent showing in the list. They are behaving as if its an partitioned space and so not showing in diskpart volumes.
But they do show under diskpart list partition cmd.

Capture.JPG

As seen, we cannot assign drive letters this way as it asks for a volume and not partition.

In EaseUS partition master, these partitions can be seen and the data inside as well. But when I assign a drive letter, it says mounting failed.

1848.jpg

1852.jpg

Last edited:
Had read this somewhere else, format was suggested.[DOUBLEPOST=1403072055][/DOUBLEPOST]of the partition in question, I mean. Not Windows :p

Had read this somewhere else, format was suggested.[DOUBLEPOST=1403072055][/DOUBLEPOST]of the partition in question, I mean. Not Windows :p
Yes format is the last resort. But these volumes work completely fine in XP.
I can format them as data is already backed up but I want to troubleshoot the issue. :D

Well not exactly. I have even posted this on official MS forums but no replies there.
May be a unique issue one earth.

View attachment 41854

As seen, we cannot assign drive letters this way as it asks for a volume and not partition.
You need to 'select partition' or 'select volume' before assigning a drive letter.

Right now you've only done a 'select disk' - which lists 7 partitions - and you're trying to assign a drive letter without selecting the volume/partition. How is diskpart going to guess which volume/partition gets assigned the drive letter?

You need to 'select partition' or 'select volume' before assigning a drive letter.

Right now you've only done a 'select disk' - which lists 7 partitions - and you're trying to assign a drive letter without selecting the volume/partition. How is diskpart going to guess which volume/partition gets assigned the drive letter?

You are not getting it. :banghead:
In "list volume", these 2 volumes arent showing up at all as if they dont exists.
But only in "list partition" they show up as seen in the pic.

Diskpart is not getting those partitions/volumes "properly"hence its not able to assign drive letters to either both of them.

Again, for your ref:

new.JPG

Now today I tried to format those partitions, it isnt doing so. Throws this error:"An unexpected error has occurred. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. Close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer."

So the only way to deal with this is to Delete the volumes and recreate new partitions.

Back