CPU/Mobo PC Booting problem..

funti

Disciple
I have MSI K8N SLI AMD board which is now 5 years old. A couple of months back I noticed that the BIOS was getting Reset automatically whenever I boot my system. Suspecting it to be a battery problem I changed the same and my system worked fine afterwards. But just few days back the same problem came back. My computer guy told me that the BIOS battery I replaced previously may be defective and thus I changed it again. The system again worked fine for a week but now the BIOS gets automatically Reset again. Why is this problem coming again and again? Is it actually a BIOS battery problem or is my motherboard showing its age? Also the CPU starts on its own whenever I turn on the UPS - without me even touching the power button of my cabinet. Whats the problem? Please help!!

amd999 said:
check ur CMOS battery volt,does its voltage chages during operation,plz reply with details(u need a multimeter to check)

I don't how to do it. I don't have multimeter to do it too. :(

Here are a few things you can do.
1) Check the voltage levels of the battery that you have newly bought. Make sure that the battery is newly manufactured and the expiry is nowhere in the vicinity. I'm assuming that the new battery specifications are exactly as the old one on the Mobo.
2) As a very rare case, you might be experiencing a leakage due to an old motherboard. This could cause your battery to drain much faster than what you would expect. Only solution is to get the mobo checked.

Ash...

Back