Linux PC boots directly to Win 10 after Kali install.. not getting option to select os

Skyh3ck

Adept
Hello

I have windows 10 installed on my laptop.
Its 500 GB SSD in m.2
1tb hdd with two 500 GB partition.

Windows 10 installed on SSD
And later in one 500 GB hdd partition I installed Kali Linux it took almost 4 hour for complete install

It asked for GRUB install and it showed successful installation message.

But after restart pc did not show any option to select os..
PC directly boot into windows

Please help how can I fix this ski get both the option

i am able to login to windows..

my laptop directly bootsinto windows, i am not getting GRUB list to select OS to boot..

i am able to login to windows..

my laptop directly bootsinto windows, i am not getting GRUB list to select OS to boot..
You may need grub iso to fix grub. Download grub iso from site and make bootable drive. Select drive where grub iso installed and repair it. Remove drive drive and you will get grub menu.

Last edited:
Windows - on 500GB SSD
Kali - on 500GB HDD

i have set boot to Legacy

When i change boot option to HDD - It boots to Kali - GRUB - but no window listed only Kali
When i change boot option to SSD - It boots to Windows 10

i want to get both option, how can i fix this

Windows - on 500GB SSD
Kali - on 500GB HDD

When i change boot option to HDD - It boots to Kali - GRUB - but no window listed only Kali

Boot in to Kali.
Install the program Grub Customizer.
Run and see if detects the Windows 10 installation, most probably it will be able to detect.
Add windows installation in Boot Options through Grub customizer.
Boot via HDD.

I tried fdisk

See the image

Attachments

• IMG_20210723_142013.jpg
    IMG_20210723_142013.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 148
I can only think of enabling proper UEFI mode and disable any legacy mode or CSM compatibility mode options, then in the BIOS boot order move the kali entry to the top.

If it still fails to boot into grub then in windows ensure fast boot is disabled in control panel power settings and then reinstall kali.

If your disks are not all in GPT partition format and any are in MBR then you could try enable only CSM compatibility mode without enabling legacy mode in BIOS and try the suggestions again.

Beyond that I am out of ideas :D
Windows - on 500GB SSD
Kali - on 500GB HDD

Oh wait... you are able to boot into kali? If you run the sudo update-grub command or equivalent sudo grub2-mkconfig... check kali docs to run grub os-prober script? If it still doesn't show windows option in grub after reboot then try disable fast boot option inside windows control panel.

I can only think of enabling proper UEFI mode and disable any legacy mode or CSM compatibility mode options, then in the BIOS boot order move the kali entry to the top.

If it still fails to boot into grub then in windows ensure fast boot is disabled in control panel power settings and then reinstall kali.

If your disks are not all in GPT partition format and any are in MBR then you could try enable only CSM compatibility mode without enabling legacy mode in BIOS and try the suggestions again.

Beyond that I am out of ideas :D

Oh wait... you are able to boot into kali? If you run the sudo update-grub command or equivalent sudo grub2-mkconfig... check kali docs to run grub os-prober script? If it still doesn't show windows option in grub after reboot then try disable fast boot option inside windows control panel.

Thanks

The think is that windows is loaded on m.2 SSD and Kali is install on inter 1 tb hdd.

I am able to boot in both windows and Kali, but only when I change boot order in bios.

So to boot into windows I go to BIOS and make ssd first boot drive and for Kali I make hdd the first boot.

Windows start as normal
Kali shows GRUB list with only Kali and no windows.

I logged in Kali and did os-prober and it doesn't show windows in list.

This is whole situation
If I fail to get windows in grub ... I am thinking to partition SSD in two and then install windows and Kali in same SSD..

Will that work.. also in what order must install both..

But only if it does not work

Most likely windows ssd is in GPT layout so have you tried the suggestions to disable legacy and fast boot options? Then set hdd to boot priority and retry os prober? If it still doesn't detect windows then check your hdd is in mbr or gpt layout? If not in gpt then reformat hdd in gpt mode and reinstall only kali.

But least hassle and I would also prefer you simply backup your data and reformat and reinstall both os... First windows then kali on same ssd and use your hdd for data storage. Least headache IMHO.

Ok so I what you sakd.. uefi, fasboot and making Kali first in boot priority..

Still direct goes to windows

So I will reinstall windows and then Kali in same ssd

@Skyh3ck

As suggested by @vishalrao, do stick with pure UEFI mode for easier maintenance. On top of that, opt for a UEFI boot manager like rEFInd to make things trouble-free as well as eye-candy.

So i deleted all partions

Created two partition on SSD
Installed windows 10
Installed Kali

Now it fresh install and shows Kali and windows both in list
Thanks now working
However my TP link c60 does not get connected in Kali but other c6 router does, any idea why.. same when I try ubuntu or mint...

So i deleted all partions

Created two partition on SSD
Installed windows 10
Installed Kali

Now it fresh install and shows Kali and windows both in list
Thanks now working
However my TP link c60 does not get connected in Kali but other c6 router does, any idea why.. same when I try ubuntu or mint...
Why do u install kali in host machine. It will be "pita" during network connection in kali. U need to change something to ur network configuration to make lan port work in kali. Better install Linux mint or ubuntu and install kali in vm.

Back