PC Peripherals PC for animation

ravi.bang

Disciple
Hi Ppl,

I am planning to buy a new pc this week. My budget is 30k. I am really confused with the configuration tat works well for animation n editing purpose.. I am still learning animation but I m lookin for a pretty good rig.. So I need ur help with this...
Please suggest me a rig from both Intel n AMD setup...

P.S - 30k is all I can afford :)

Thanks,
Ravi

Hi there! I'm an animation student too. I'd suggest getting a PC with a good CPU+GPU+RAM specs. (More RAM definitely helps a lot!) You can search around on these forums to find options suitable for your budget. On another note, which institute are you doing your course from?

I am doing course in Frameboxx bangalore.. I need the cpu rig.... Sorry forgot to mention that :).. I did search in other threads but found it really hard to make up my mind... Cuz some guys said AMD is better n some said intel is better... Donno which one to go for...

Ummm.. No... I am in need of the proccy, mobo, ram, psu, cabinet and a cooling system if in case i plan to OC the system :)... Hard disk would be an option.... Prefer firewire on mobo...

ravi.bang said:
Ummm.. No... I am in need of the proccy, mobo, ram, psu, cabinet and a cooling system if in case i plan to OC the system :)... Hard disk would be an option.... Prefer firewire on mobo...

1- Phenom II X3 720BE+Biostar 790GX mobo @ Rs 13,500

http://www.techenclave.com/dealer-s-paradise/amd-phenom-ii-x3-720-others-127386-6.html

2- 2x2 GB 800 MHz Trascend @ 2.4K

3- Corsair VX450 PSU @ 4K

4- CM 690 (4K) if you don't fear dust or else Antec 300 @ 3.5K

5- OCZ Vanquisher CPU cooler @ 1.2K (this fits AM2 mobos so AM2+ should not a be problem. But still check the clearance area around CPU socket on the Biostar one that I have suggested before buying Vanquisher.

6- 4670 @ 5K: http://www.techenclave.com/dealer-s-paradise/do-palit-hd4670-512mb-ddr3-super-126862.html

well i always say, first one need to find what one can use and only then invest in a pc. you have to evaluate your skill level and see what kinda pc it demands and what kinda pc will lose its value least. its advisable to look around TE market for second hand cheaper parts (under warranty).

intel Q6600 is great for your work, thats around 10k. qsahmed is selling a cpu+mobo+gpu combo. you might wanna look into it

Thx for the suggestion man.. I welcome it.. But unfortunately I dnt buy second hand stuff.. I mean no harm but I prefer a new one :)...
As fas as the skill level goes.... I cant say I am good or bad.... I am currently workin on vfx demo reels... working on editing n compositing.. So I think I would need a prettty good system.... I would really want to buy a quad core system but not sure as to amd or intel...

ravi.bang said:
Thx a lot man.. Ne suggestions for an intel rig??

Whats the difference b/w phenom II x3 n x4....

X3 is a Phenom CPU with 3 cores. X 4 has 4 cores... this much is pretty basic.

Quad will suit you greatly. For Quad config you have three options over X3 720BE+Biostar 790GX (without overshooting your budget immensely)

AMD: Phenom X4 920+ Biostar 790GX @ around 16K

Intel: Q6600+GA-P31-ES3G @ around 13.5K

Q9400+GA-P31-ES3G @ around 16K

Now, the thing is that with Intel set-up you will get a good CPU but a relatively weak mobo. I personally would not like to run a 65nm CPU like Q6600 with a mobo that allows for just 4-pin CPU connector. In fact, Biostar 790GX too has 4-pin CPU connector, but it has better PWM.

But that is me. many here on TE have Q6600+GA-P31-ES3G or similar combo and they have even overclocked their CPU without any trouble.

To me Phenom II combo seems more balanced as well as one with fairly decent upgradibility path. Phenom II 920 more than matches Q6600 at Stock. However, if paired with a good mobo and overclocked, Q6600 outpaces Phenom II as Intel is still ahead of AMD when it comes to Clock for clock comparison.

The choice is yours... if you can't fit in a quad, I will suggest you go for X3 over Dual cores

Hey thank u so much for the reply.... I was planning on goin for PhenomII 920 and the Biostar 790 mobo.... When u say biostar 790 o u mean 790 128 m or something else??

ravi.bang said:
Hey thank u so much for the reply.... I was planning on goin for PhenomII 920 and the Biostar 790 mobo.... When u say biostar 790 o u mean 790 128 m or something else??

that's same... Biostar bit :)

Thx for the help guys.. I am going with the AMD setup..I had one more question... Does Biostar 790gx 128 M support am3 also??... just to make my setup ready for the upgrades :)

^^ X3 720 BE is an AM3 CPU. Biostar mobo (BIOSTAR) is AM2+.

All AM3 CPUs, even upcoming ones, will be backward compatible with AM2+. The only difference is DDR2 and DDR3... DDR3 doesn't bring much benefit, not to Phenom IIs.

I finally bought the rig.

Phenom II x4 920

Biostar TA790GX 128 M

4gb zion ram

Sparkle 9600gt 512mb ddr3

The guy at sp road in Bangalore said I can use 9600gt with this setup. He said crossfirex works with this also and not only ati radeon..

Ne words from u guys??

^^ Congrats on getting your rig... BTW, Crossfire works only with ATI cards. SLI works with only Nvidia cards. It would have been better to get Kingston or Transcend than zion

Back