PC for my brother under 30k

channabasanna

Disciple
Hi All,

My brother is planning to buy a pc under 30k, and it will be brought in Bangalore, will be using in his native (Chitradurga). Following are the requirements:

Q: What is your budget?

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

Building a new system. (Might give my Cabinet and PSU)

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Currently i have a CM Elite 332 cabinet and is it ok if i also use my CM Extreme Power 600 PSU.

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
  1. Intel proccessor, mobo configuration.
  2. RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 Value RAM.
  3. HDD: 500GB would suffice, or if budget is ok will go for 1TB if necessary.
  4. Graphics Card: Onboard graphics card would be enough.
  5. PSU: Will my CM extreme power be enough.
  6. Cabinet: Will give my CM Elite 332 (Currently i have put it for sale in TE classifieds, if it is not brought then will give to my brother) by adding another 120mm fan.
  7. Speakers: 2.1 channel under 2-2.5k
  8. UPS: Need a good UPS, since in my brother's place there will be often power cuts.
  9. Monitor: 19" will be enough, if in budget will buy a 22".
  10. DVD Writer: would like to know if the current motherboard's support IDE DVD Writer. (Planning since i will add a SATA Port DVD Writer/BluRay Writer and pass on my current DVD writer to my brother)

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Yes, it will be final for most of the time for sure. Wont be upgrading for some few years atleast.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Bangalore, SP Road (probably from Jainex).

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
  1. My brother is a Post Master, i dont know what tools they use in their office.
  2. Desktop Processing
  3. Gaming (Small kids are at home for there between 4-10 years age, some games which dont need a graphics card like NFS5 or such)
  4. Browsing.
  5. Watching movies.
  6. Listening songs.

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

Would like to go with Intel configuration.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

Low end games, nothing in particular (for small kids)

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Gaming - 1440x900

Desktop - 1440x900

If i get a 22" Monitor in the budget i will go for that, else will be fine with 19" monitor.

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows XP SP3 would be fine else Windows 7.

Q. Some Queries?
  1. For this rig, will my old CM extreme power 600 Cabinet be enough.
  2. Do we need a additional graphics card, considering their usage.

Thanks,

Channabasanna S

CPU-Intel i3 2100-6.2

Mobo-Intel DH67BL-B3-5.6k

Ram-Corsair XMS3 2X2gb 1600mhz-1.5k OR Gskill Ripjaws 2X2gb 1600mhz-1.6k

HDD-Segate 500gb 7200rpm-4.4k

GPU-sapphire hd5670-4.5k OR Sapphire 6670-5.6k[if you get a full hd monitor then you'd at least get hd6670]

PSU-Corsair cx430v2-2.2k OR Seasonic s12ii 430w-2.6k

Monitor-Dell ST2220-8.2k OR Benq G2220HD-6.9k

Case-Nzxt Gamma-2.1k

UPS-APC 650v ups-2.8k

Hope this helps
<

Since you've cabinet then you can add 2k to gpu so-

Sapphire HD6790-8.2k would be the best option withing the budget,if you want nvidia gpu then MSI/ASUS GTX 550 Ti DirectCUi-8k.

Sapphire HD6790 performs better than GTX550ti so it's upto you-http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1148/pg4/sapphire-radeon-hd-6790-graphics-card-review-bulletstorm.html
Thanks Jakob, Cabinet is not needed since i will give my CM Elite 332.

Any other alternative from Nvidia for the graphics card.

Thanks Jakob, i will check into it. I dont want to buy something which is costlier, since it will not be for me. Will see his budget and make the changes for the graphics card.

#channabasanna why don't you go for the HD 6770 instead of the HD 6790, it comes in significantly cheaper and performance will be good in most games for the next ~2 years [@full HD + medium / low settings].

Hope this helps, cheers!!

@ALPHA17, yeah sure will do. Also the kids there are under 10 years, so the cheaper the system is the better it will be. Also they will not be worried about the games which need higher graphics. If it supports HD movies it will be fine. Or is it ok, if i dont use a graphics card and use the 22" monitor directly with the motherboard VGA/DVI ports.

Also, which speakers to buy. A budget one would suffice inside 2-2.5k or even less.

^^ For the graphics cards I'll recommend that you get the HD 6670 ~5500/- then, it is a low power HTPC type card, which can play most titles @720p + low settings.

Movie decoding and EyeFinity multi-display modes will be added bonuses in the deal. The HD 2000 series IGP in the Core i3 model is not recommended for anything above movies, so until you are dead sure that the kids don't start a racket due to lack of game support I will not recommend you that.

Also for your purposes this is the RIG I'll suggest --

AMD A8-3850 ~6500/- [this Llano based processor with a strong IGP would be better value for your HTPC / casual gaming needs http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-a8-3850-llano,2975.html / http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/06/30/amd-a8-3850-review/1]

Gigabyte A75-S2V ~5900/-

Corsair XMS3 OR G.Skill RIPJAWS 1600MHz 4GB x 2 [OR 2GB x 2] ~1700/- [for a 4GB kit / module]

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ~4500/-

Corsair CX V2 430W ~2400/-

Dell ST2220L ~8300/-

Later if you need to increase the graphics capability of the system, get a HD 6670 on the cheap and HybridCrossFire it with the IGP on processor die.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

#ALPHA17, thanks for the rig details. Looks like i will have to go this weekend or next to buy it. Before that some more queries:

1. I am thinking of giving my Viewsonic 19" monitor to reduce the budget on the monitor. So will this be enough to run on onboard graphics of the motherboard?

2. Also, any Intel configurations (since i am planning for giving my old monitor, thinking of getting a i5 processor)?

3. If i am not using a external GPU, will the CM Extreme Power 600W PSU be enough (I have this one from my old config) will it be sufficient?

4. Any good Speakers inside 2-2.5k budget?

5. Hard Disk i am planning to buy Western Digital? any suggestions on the same.

#ALPHA17, thanks for the rig details. Looks like i will have to go this weekend or next to buy it. Before that some more queries:

1. I am thinking of giving my Viewsonic 19" monitor to reduce the budget on the monitor. So will this be enough to run on onboard graphics of the motherboard?

2. Also, any Intel configurations (since i am planning for giving my old monitor, thinking of getting a i5 processor)?

3. If i am not using a external GPU, will the CM Extreme Power 600W PSU be enough (I have this one from my old config) will it be sufficient?

4. Any good Speakers inside 2-2.5k budget?

5. Hard Disk i am planning to buy Western Digital? any suggestions on the same.

1. The AMD Llano processor can play most current tiles @1080p + low eye-candy, so I will suggest this will be more than enough for current usage pattern you've mentioned for say ~2 -- 3 years.

2. As I said the Intel IGP is not strong enough compared to the Llano Redwood [AMD HD 6450] IGP, the Intel HD 2000 IGP is decent for HD movies and games like Angry Birds but as soon as you throw a real game engine it capsizes under the graphic load. Sole reason the AMD A8-3850 is a balanced CPU+GPU package compared to the Intel Core i5 2400 [great CPU, weak GPU].

Also AMD IGP scales well with high speed RAM modules, so a 1833 MHz RAM module is better for performance compared to a 1600MHz module and so on --> http://www.anandtech.com/show/4476/amd-a83850-review/4.

3. The eXtreme Power Pro will be enough even if you put a GPU of the HD 5770 class, but the issue is it has a history of poor performance as well as load efficiency is worse than the Corsair CX V2 series.

4. Go for the Altec Lansing BXR 1221 ~1100/- [basic 2.1 speaker systems], I use these OR earphones with my current RIG I'm pretty happy with the set.

5. Go for Hitachi if possible, Seagate and Western Digital are also dependable but the Western Digital Green Edition drives are to be avoided like the plague.

#channabasanna-I thought you're getting external gpu,if you're not then get what #ALPHA17 has mentioned above,intel igp is weak in performance compared to Amd A8,if you want intel rig then get external gpu otherwise gaming won't be possible.

Guys need more help on the Monitor, suggest me a good 19" or 20" Monitor, since i wont be going for an additional Graphics Card right now.

May be later on i can add a card if required. Or might add my old XFX 7600 to the rig.

Here are few options-

Acer S201HL-6k

Dell IN2030M-5.9k-http://www.smcinternational.in/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=575&category_id=35&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=89

BenQ G2222HDL-6.8k,Full HD.
Guys need more help on the Monitor, suggest me a good 19" or 20" Monitor, since i wont be going for an additional Graphics Card right now.

May be later on i can add a card if required. Or might add my old XFX 7600 to the rig.

Dell IN2030M ~6200/- [20' widescreen monitor [720p], LED back-light with DVI-D out] OR

BenQ G2220HD ~7200/- [21.5' full HD widescreen monitor [1080p], LED back-light DVI-D out] OR

BenQ E2220HD ~8500/- [21.5' full HD widescreen monitor [1080p], LED back-light HDMI out]

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Guys, will be buying the i3 2100 proccy, any cheaper alternatives for the Intel DH67BL-B3 motherboard [/font][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]from [/font][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]ASUS.[/font]

You'll only get H61 chipset cheaper than [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Intel DH67BL-B3[/font] for 3k or so,Even Asus H67 chipset comes around 5.2k

Intel H61WW-3.5k OR ASUS P8H61-M LX-3.5k
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Guys, will be buying the i3 2100 proccy, any cheaper alternatives for the Intel DH67BL-B3 motherboard [/font][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]from [/font][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]ASUS.[/font]

Is there any huge difference between the H61 and H67 chipsets, considering the usage of this upcoming system will it be fine if i go for the H61 chipset board.

Back