PC for VMWARE for 50k

Guys,
I have a C2D setup with 4 gigs of RAM and am running Cisco CUCM on vmware, GNS3 with 4 routers and probably install more servers in future. The system as you can imagine is coming to a halt. Therefore have decided to buy another system/or upgrade existing. Budget is not an issue, but I should get the most bang for the buck. Hardly any gaming so an old second hand graphic card would do for now.... Now please help me decide between the 6 core Phenom vs Core i7 4 physical and 4 virtual cores whatever that means and Core i5. Will be OC'ing. Need something that can do hyperthreading or whatever the vm thingie is called on Intel chips to support virtualization. I am thinking to start with 6 gigs or RAM and later upgrading to 12 gigs. A mobo with preferably 2 nics is what I was hoping for...

Proc + Mobo budget = 25k Please suggest which RAM

RAM budget = 8k (can go KMD route) Please suggest which RAM

Cabbie Budget = 3k (Mostly CM 690 w/o side panel)

PSU = Corsair 550 = 4k

Second hand GPU = Please recommend upto 4k

HDD= Seagate 2 * 1 TB in RAID 0 = 6k

==================
Total Budget: approx 50k
==================

Or I can sell my existing rig (mobo + proc + RAM) at lets assume 8k.... and than just focus on RAM and processor/mobo and have a budget of lets say 40k and probably go with 12 gigs of RAM. Whatever you think is better and would help me in doing what I am planning to do for my CCIE lab.

How many routers are you looking at running on GNS3. If you just want to run 4 routers in GNS3 then your current setup should be ok. If you are looking at running the Routing & switching lab you can't complete most of the switching tasks using GNS3. You require atleast at bare minimum 4 L3 switches to get your tasks completed as per the work books. Let me know.

Proc + Mobo = Core i-7 930 ~ 14.2k + MSI Pro-E ~10.4k
RAM budget = GSkill Trident 1600MHz 6GB kit. ~ 9.6k in India
Cabbie Budget = 3k (Mostly CM 690 w/o side panel) --> The CM 690 costs ~4.4k. The Gladiator 600 costs ~3.5k
PSU = Corsair 550 = 4k --> The VX550 costs 4.7k. VX450 costs 3.7k.
Second hand GPU = Please recommend upto 4k --> HD4850/GTS250 with a year or so warranty reamining.
HDD= Seagate 2 * 1 TB in RAID 0 = 6.6k

id suggest you to go for x6 1055t + msi 880 gma @ 16k

and get cooler master v8 cpu cooler and overclock it to 4ghz !

4ghz and 6 cores would blow anything you throw at it ! :)

rest get wht darkangel suggested !

I am setting up voice lab. So will be running CUCM, CUPS, CUCS, GNS3 with 3 routers networked to my 2601 with FXO to configure this setup. Currently just running CUCM and CUCS with GNS3 spikes CPU to 100% and everything slows down. Now the million dollar question is, would simply adding RAM help my VM or do I need to look at CPU thingie. Also does AMD X6 suport virtualization? And would 6 Cores at a slower speed be better than 4 core 930 which offers better performance clock for clock.... I am leaning towards Intel, but they have a Quad and if my VM would be happier with 6 Cores than I wouldnt mind an AMD configuration given the fact that its a lot lighter on the pocket.

Darkangel, I have a CM 690 with transparent side panel that I bought 2 years ago from SMC at 3.8k. Have the prices increased?

X6 should support virtualization, almost all AMD proccies do. I think VMware will be able to utilize all 6 cores in the AMD setup, which makes it more VFM for you.

techcheat said:
I am setting up voice lab. So will be running CUCM, CUPS, CUCS, GNS3 with 3 routers networked to my 2601 with FXO to configure this setup. Currently just running CUCM and CUCS with GNS3 spikes CPU to 100% and everything slows down. Now the million dollar question is, would simply adding RAM help my VM or do I need to look at CPU thingie. Also does AMD X6 suport virtualization? And would 6 Cores at a slower speed be better than 4 core 930 which offers better performance clock for clock.... I am leaning towards Intel, but they have a Quad and if my VM would be happier with 6 Cores than I wouldnt mind an AMD configuration given the fact that its a lot lighter on the pocket.

Darkangel, I have a CM 690 with transparent side panel that I bought 2 years ago from SMC at 3.8k. Have the prices increased?
With CPU under heavy multicore load X6 would do better job than i7 ... u need to assign process affinity to different cores

For ur purpose, I'll advice u to contact somebody who has already i7 and X6 setup and test the mentioned VMs

X6 supports virtualization ... it's called AMD-V

Back