CPU/Mobo PC getting hot, then shutting down.

Amaan Ali

Recruit
My PC Specs:
CPU: AMD FX 8350
MOBO: Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0
GPU: AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 280 OC with Boost 3GB GDDR5
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 [CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10]
HDD: WD Blue 1TB [WD10EZEX]
CASE: Cooler Master K380 [1 Integrated fan in front]
PSU: Seasonic 620W [S12II620]
UPS: Zebronics ZEB-U1200 [1KV]
Display : Samsung 40 inches LED TV [40H5100]
Sound System: Onkyo HT-S3400 5.1 Channel HOme Theater System http://www.onkyoindia.com/ht_hs-hts3400.html
Mouse: Dragonwar ELE-G9
Keyboard: Dragonwar Silvio

I assembled my first PC myself (Parts bought from online sites) for gaming, after fully assembling it, when I started playing games like Far Cry 4, Dirt 3 etc, it got kinda hot, fans started making sound, and then shut down after 10 minutes of playing, Cabinet was damn hot. It happened 3-4 times. After restarting it I checked my CPU temperature from BIOS, it was around 35 C to 50 C. After booting in Windows 7 I installed Core Temp software for monitoring the temperature while playing games, While playing Dirt 3 in windowed mode, when I was not driving it was OK everything was fine temperature was around 40 C, but when I started driving. it got around 67 C-70 C in around 10 minutes and same thing happened. Fans started running fast, and It got shut down again. When I'm not playing games, only surfing or transfering big files from phone or USB Drive the CPU is silent, there is no sound of fans, CPU Temperature is around 15 C to 20 C. So I'm not getting what is wrong with my system, and how to fix it. If it has something to do with the temperature, then what should I do to fix it. And if it has nothing to do with the temperature then what is wrong with it.

CPU fan is stock only, I have not bought an aftermarket fan. But stock fan is from Cooler Master. Thermal paste is the one which comes preapplied on the CPU fan.

There is one more problem, The UPS I bought is from the local market. I have connected my PC, LED TV, and the home theater system to the UPS. It works great when the power goes off and I'm surfing or transfering data and all. But when I'm playing games like the ones I mentioned above, and the same CPU shutting down thing happens. It does not give any backup at all. It just starts beeping and everything shuts down even the TV and Home Theater system too. Is there something wrong with my PSU or UPS? or is there something else? My GPU's minimum power supply requirement is 500W, but my PSU is of 620W.

I cant play any game because of my CPU shutting down thing and the UPS not giving any backup while Computer is in heavy use thing. Any kind of help would be appreciated.

I would bet its the CPU.

I have the exact same setup of CPU/mobo/case. The stock fan is absolutely garbage and the CPU runs hot under load. Bad combination. The CPU fan would go to 6000RPM when under load and be incredibly noisy. Adding 2 more 120 MM fans in the case will help. You definitely wanna have an exhaust fan in the back of the tower behind the CPU.

Even with that the fan was noisy. I finally just replaced it with an after market cooler. The only decent one that will fit in that case is a cooler master Hyper TX3. Or maybe liquid cooling.

EDIT I Meant a 120mm Case fan. NOT 80mm.

Last edited:
Yea i just ordered a cooler master 120mm sickleflow red led fan for the back of the tower, and a cooler master hyper 212x cpu cooler. You are saying The only decent one that will fit in that case is a cooler master Hyper TX3...will the hyper 212x fit in the case?? I just ordered it.

And will this new cpu cooler fix my UPS problem too???

212x was about 4mm larger than the width of the case according to the documentation.

For your case -

Maximum Compatibility -
CPU cooler height: 155mm / 6.1 inch

Source - http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/k380/

Your CPU cooler height is just shy of 159.

Hyper-212-EVO-measurement-600.jpg

I also wanted the same cooler. It might fit since 4mm isnt that big. But I didnt wanna risk it. Your mileage may vary.

UPS problem is most likely because under draw both your GPU and CPU are taking a lot more power than what your UPS can support. AMD CPUs tend to draw more than Intel. Ditto for GPU when compared to Nvidia. So it tends to cut out when under load.

Not a 100% sure on that. Maybe someone else can chip in.

EDIT Would highly recommend a second 120MM fan for the glass panel on the cabinet.

EDIT 2 About the TX3. Its good. Not great. I would guess its made a drop of 10C at best but in combination with the case fans, the CPU is in acceptable temperature levels. But since its winter here, I cant really say for sure how big of a difference its made. Will know once July swings around. :p

Noise wise though, even the TX3 is a MASSIVE improvement over the stock fan. The stock fan sounded like a freaking juicer mixer at full RPM. This one is pretty quite even when the fan is at full speed.

Last edited:
I was researching about the compatibility of hyper 212x with my k380 case, In all the threads people are saying that it won't fit according to the dimensions of both the components, However This guy http://pcpartpicker.com/b/TpycCJ says that it can fit, but after looking at his build, I cancelled my order of hyper 212x. So can you suggest me a cooler in this price range, or as you are saying, that you are using Hyper TX3. Is it really good? should I go for it? because I cant do heavy gaming on my PC because of CPU temperature. Or can you suggest me some other Cooler?

I can only comment on what Ive used. You can check FK or other places for something that will fit your case. Tx3 is good for its price (I paid 1600 for it in Nehru Place). I imagine you can get better.

IIRC the fan in Tx3 is 92mm. The fan in 212x is 120mm. Bigger fan is better (usually) so anything you can find that will fit your case with a 120mm fan and decent reviews should be ok.

One good thing about the TX3 is that its super easy to install. Almost plug and play.

Will monitor when I get a chance in the next day or so and give you exacts.

Have BF4. That stresses the CPU pretty good so it should be a good indicator.

Your fan can handle bf4...well thats impressive...
So yu are using the same mobo cpu and case..you are comfortable with this fan...the temps do not go high ..and pc doesnt get shut down...so i think i will go with tx3 tooo

@cellar_door Thank you so much bro ...i bought hyper tx3 evo and one 120mm sickleflow fan..and now my temps aren't exceeding 44 C and when idle..its only 8-9 C......thank you so much for your advice :)

Can you download RealTEMP..and run a sensor test. And post the completed screenshot here. It should take maybe 10 minutes of a total burn in cycle. The UPS is not going to work. They have a capacity to support 60-65% of what they are rated. Get a good one. Like APC.

when idle..its only 8-9 C
There's a bit of confusion on how AMD chips report temps. Sounds like your app is misreading the temps. Idle will always be a few degrees above your room temperature, i.e. if your room temperature is 25C, idle temps will probably be around 28C.

Try another app like maybe HWMonitor or HWInfo64.

Can you download RealTEMP
IINM RealTemp does not support AMD chips.
  • Reads temperature information from all Intel Core based processors.

There's a bit of confusion on how AMD chips report temps. Sounds like your app is misreading the temps. Idle will always be a few degrees above your room temperature, i.e. if your room temperature is 25C, idle temps will probably be around 28C.

Try another app like maybe HWMonitor or HWInfo64.

IINM RealTemp does not support AMD chips.

Oh yes...correct. What about CoreTEMP. I think that would.

^ He's using coretemp now, and it isn't reading temps correctly, probably because of the ambiguous way the FX chips are reporting their core temps.

Yeah 8-9 doesnt sound right. Maybe he meant 28-9. :p

The ASUS mobo he has comes with its own utilities for monitoring temp. Install that and use it. Its pretty good. I tallied between that and Speedfan back a few weeks ago and both were reporting more or less the same temps. So thats worth looking into.

Edit You are welcome. :)

I would still recommend a second 120mm fan for the glass panel on the side.

^ He's using coretemp now, and it isn't reading temps correctly, probably because of the ambiguous way the FX chips are reporting their core temps.

8-9 is incorrect for sure...! What about HWMonitor, and RivaTuner. Probably they are harnessing the API which reports the temp. diode. Just a small installation and check..! I guess..!

^ Yeah HWMonitor reports both core temp and socket temp. Socket should be close enough. The Asus utility will probably be reading this motherboard socket sensor as well.

^ Yeah HWMonitor reports both core temp and socket temp. Socket should be close enough. The Asus utility will probably be reading this motherboard socket sensor as well.

Yea, HW Monitor would be better. I just saw the screenshot below mine. I think, AMD does not even have TJ Max.

Back