PC Peripherals PC shuts down automatically

zhopudey

Skilled
I am running an Athlon II 240 on an Asus M3A78-EM. I think cpu temp sensor on my mobo has gone kaput - it always shows cpu temp above 98C. Lately, my PC has started shutting down on its own after an hour or two of usage (h/w shutdown, not windows). And it does not start again immediately. I have to wait for some time for it to cool down.

everest.jpg

Can I turn this off in the bios? Since the cpu is not actually overheating, I don't think getting a better cooler or reapplying the tim would help.

Did you touch the CPU cooler to check if the CPU is in fact running cooler. If yes then go ahead and disable that setting.
A kaput sensor means no use of keeping that setting on. It wont work as required anyway.

dust and junk in the HSF fins ? Problems with the HSF Fan(dust gets into the HSF fan bearings and slows it down - it's not immediately visible)?

that could be a source too. Especially in rainy season when the moisture gets trapped in the dust in the heatsink and does not allow efficient cooling of the cpu.
Also the thermal interface material might have dried up by now if its been more than a year since you last applied it.

Back