CPU/Mobo PC shuts down randomly?

Pratik922

Disciple
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes:

My PC recently started to shut down randomly and by randomly I mean at the boot screen, at the startup screen, at the windows screen or even after the computer has been ON for 10 to 15 minutes, it's random.

I know that it's not the HDDs, GPU or the power supply that's causing the problem(checked them). That leaves out the motherboard, CPU and RAM.

I'm running Windows 7 32 bit, 3 HDDs, 3 Gb of RAM, Gigabyte G31M S2L motherboard, Dual core Intel 2.5 GHz.

What could be causing the problem?

Thank you.

Post your complete system configuration.And also post the temperatures for CPU and try remember the last thing that you did or changed either hardware(removed CPU cooler or anything else) or any changes in BIOS for OCing or any other changes from which your PC is behaving like this.

bro, from when are you facing such problems? is it due to recent software or hardware change? if yes then un-install that and your problem will be solved. else do the following-:

1>clean all dust inside the cabby.

2>open the heatsink from the processor and clean the fins and apply a fresh thermal paste and attach the heatsink again.

3>clean the ram connector pins with help of a eraser.

4>instead of attaching 3 hdd, just attach the one having windows. sometimes it happens that the psu even though working great is not powerful enough to handle all the loads and shutting down the system due to overloading.

5>disconnect the battery from mobo and put it back again.

6>clear the cmos.

all these should solve the problem, if it fails then call a local mechanic to do the job.

Thank you guys for the replies.

Sorry I forgot to mention the temperatures. The CPU temp is normally shown 55C in Speedfan, 65C for GPU and some 45 to 50C for the HDDs.

This problem started 1 week ago, I completely cleaned the PC with compressed air right after the problem started, reinstalled windows on a different HD, cleaned the RAM and all that stuff, also got a new power supply (which I was planning on getting anyway).

Also, I doubt high temperatures are causing the problem because the PC shuts down at the startup even after keeping it off for 8 to 10 hours and my room temperature is always at about 25c to 27c.

Full specs:

Gigabyte G31M S2L

Nvidia 9600 GT

3 Gb of RAM

250 GB HD

250 GB HD

500 GB HD

Intel 2.5 GHz Dual Core

Corsair 500w PSU

No significant hardware or software changes were made.

Please let me know if you need to know anything else, thank you!

Usually sign of bad memory is accompanied by blue screens and crashes. Completely shutting down randomly in my case recently turned out to be the gpu. I suspected board and psu first myself (inspite of seeing multiple nvidia control panel crashes).

Id say the gpu is dying and you should see if you can run your system on another card for a day to see if the problem goes away and rule that out completely. Its gpu or psu most likely and your older nvidia 9600 is probably coming to the end, less likely to be the corsair 500 (VX550 ?).

OK please post a screenshot of you cpuid hardwaremonitor with all the tabs extending,this happens in the case of bad PSU,mostly when the +3.3V goes below the error zone.

Back