Disciple
Hi,

i am running following configuration,

AMD X2 5600+asus m2av-VM
Sapphire ATI Radeon 2400 pro,
4 GB RAM
Zebronics pure platinum 500 W PSU
now sometimes pc just power off without any warning or any sign,
one more obersrvation, when i push the power button to start it again it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't , then i have to switch off power button in PSU, then switch it on and then start button and it works

when i remove Gfx Card and use display available on my MB, everything works fine.

i am web devloper so dont need heavy graphics and all , even onboard display will also work fine but ATI has stopped support for linux driver for my current onboard display, so have to use gfx card.

now i want to know this is gfx card issue or psu issue, how i can check that. pc is shutting off because fault in gfx card or psu not providing enough supply ,

any idea ?

and it around once in a day, my machine run for around 18 hrs

so what i need new gfx card or psu ?

Thanks for help.

First disable automatic restarts so that you get a bsod with a error message.

Also check windows logs in event viewer under administrative tools

- pc doesnt restart once shut down, i have start it by power button
- running ubuntu 12, any way to view hardware log on linux ?

Thanks,

Install speed fan and check for temperatures. I had a similar issue and then found out my cpu was overheating and my mobo went kaput.. luckily had warranty and replaced them both

i am already monitoring temperatures, temperatures remain under 55, but for to be on safe side i have disabled Q-Fan option in MB. now fan is running on full speed most of time, so more nice.. but i will oberve for few days.

Thanks

exactly same thing happened to me a few months back.i was also using amd athlon x2 5600+ and asus mobo.after about a month my mobo failed and problem was with the onboard graphics chip and the power ic of mobo.hated asus mobo since then and bought off gigabyte one with intel proccy.

my two piece either mobo or SMPS is gonna raise white flag soon.

If power sometimes starts n some time doesnt,then use a test to check power supply. Shot the wires to see if it runs always or not. just google on this.

Otherwise check your mobo.

@dbzgoku
i am using GFx card , so onboard chip is not culprit, infact its runs fine on onboard chip, shut downs only when using card.
@antz123
actually power works fine normally, only when pc is shut down power refuse to start for few seconds sometimes, then i switch SMPS power button off for few seconds and then restart and then pc start button , and everything works.

i think it may be CPU overheating, i am planning to apply thermal paste again clean the cooler.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
as bottle is saying 55 cpu temp is fine, yes same time its important that you do basics again, take rams out clean for dust etc, resink the cpu clean layer of coolant coating etc.

But power supply giving delayed start made me question if smps is not the culprit. switching off means as if discharging the capacitors and then restarting is solving things. so dont know may be am wrong.

@dbzgoku
i am using GFx card , so onboard chip is not culprit, infact its runs fine on onboard chip, shut downs only when using card.

yaar same thing was happening to me.i was also using graphic card(which also failed after sometime around one week before mobo failed) the mobo ran fine with onboard graphics for around one week and then die. problem was somewhere in mobo(at first in power ic then in onboard chip later)
my one advice-if mobo fails dont even think of getting it repaired.go for a new pc.
if possible get a new good psu also(i was using a local intex one)

Damn, still not able solve the issue, few things i have tried

- memtest, no issue
- cleaned everything ,reapplied thermal paste on cpu

still same things, it just make shuts off

any help experts ?some observations
- pc shut downs after long usage, even there is not much load,
- once it shut down , i have to switch off the button in psu for few secs and on again, then only it starts.

i am not sure what should i replace, psu.,MB or GFX card :(

Thanks for all help

-

@lokeshv did you try switching the SMPS with another one, I think that it is your SMPS that has gone for a hike.

And please don't replace it with a cheap brand like iBall OR Zebronics OR Cooler Master eXtreme series; go for the Corsair CX V2 430W [if you can acquire it] OR the Cooler Master GX450W.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

hmm actually before i buy anything i just want to be sure that i am replacing right component, dont want to be in situation where i buy psu and later find out MB was culprit.

there is any way to be sure its psu ? or hit and try is only way.

hmm actually before i buy anything i just want to be sure that i am replacing right component, dont want to be in situation where i buy psu and later find out MB was culprit.

there is any way to be sure its psu ? or hit and try is only way.

If you can borrow / arrange for a stand-in SMPS to power up your RIG, that will be best to remove the finger of doubt from the same. About the motherboard I noticed it has electrolytic capacitors, just check if any of those has become puffed up.

This is what I mean by puffed up --
Apple-iMac-G5-Motherboard-Capacitor.jpg

If you have such swollen, burst capacitors it means your motherboard is kaput.

We have recommended that you change the SMPS because Zebronics / iBall / FronTech [OR for that any local PC component manufacturer] make really low grade SMPS that hardly perform as they should under normal loads and are grossly overrated.

@lokeshv I had similar problems with an iball "400W" SMPS, it worked fine under normal load but whenever I started any games the PC would shut down within a minute. The PC could not boot up immediately and I had to wait at least an hour or so.
I took it to my vendor, at first he didnt believe me but when I showed him it happen he was really stumped. He narrowed down the problem to the SMPS and gave me a good working one in two days.

In a rare case ,your mobo may also be touching your case somewhere thereby shorting the circuits and instantly shutting down.It happened to my friend and by the time he could diagnose it he had made his mobo reach heaven/hell.So check for any connections of the mobo to the case,may be a stray screw lying here and there etc.other than that i also think your SMPS is on vacation.

ok

-- ok no capacitor is leaking or puffed up
- MB is not touching cabinet
- my pc shut down even when its normal mode,

one more obeservation, my machine starts around 9 in morning and remain on till 2 a.m. , so i noticted if it run continiously from to 9 to 2 a.m. it shutdowns itself around evening or so, but if if i give it rest in afternoon for 2-3 hrs it works without any issue in evening till night,
why so ?

i clouldn't arrange alternate psu for testing so i have decided to buy new one , is following psu will work fine ?

Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU | Psu | Flipkart.com

also please comment on price,

and Thanks for all help, really appericate.

Back