Budget 51-70k PC Upgrade for 4k Gaming

satyanjoy

Skilled
I am going to upgrade my current PC for 4k gaming. At present will change the processor, mobo,cpu cooler, ram & nvme storage.

My current rig -
BenQ EW3270U 4K monitor, Intel i5 3470 | B75M-D3H | 4*4 x2GB Kingston HyperX Blue | GTX 1060 6GB| Samsung 840 120GB | Seasonic S12II 620 | Corsair 400R

I will keep the following major parts -
GTX 1060 6GB
Seasonic S12II 620
Corsair 400R

My current select -

Intel i5 12400f
ASUS Prime H670-PLUS D4 (feature rich, three NVME slot)
G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB
WD SN850 1TB (Fastest boot drive for future support)
I will go with Air cooler , budget will be around 3-4k max

6 months Down the line , I will get something like RTX 3080 or similar in performance from RTX 4XXX series. I am open for suggestions

If you go the other way round, money vs pleasure graph will be smoother. Get a graphics card now, the less processor intensive games will run 4k 60 Hz. The monitor doesn't have higher refresh rate anyway. Some games that don't run 4k, will run at 1440p at higher eye candy level than with your GTX 1060.

1060 doesn't saturate PCIe 3.0 bandwidth, the newer card will be able to. The new graphics card will feel constrained by the lower PCIe 3.0 bandwidth, but should still work better than now.

Given the current price situation too, graphics card prices have come down, though they will keep falling except for bumps on the way, but we can't wait forever. But cpu wise, the coming AM5 and 13th Gen might improve price situation in next 3-4 months.

Wouldn't you need a better power supply for a beefier future card? I'm also not entirely sure whether the minor difference between sata vs gen3 vs gen4 is worth the premium. Diminishing returns and all that
Thank you for pointing that out, I thought my current psu will be good enough, I checked online minimum recommendation for RTX 3080 is a 750 watts psu, I guess RTX 4XXX might have bit higher requirements too , any recommendation ?
For primary storage, I want to get something which will be at per with PS5, that might be the base for future Unreal 5 based games. Its a hassle to change primary storage and price difference not crazy huge
I'd recommend going with i7 12700F instead, if your budget permits.

Remember to replace the PSU along with your graphics card.
i7 will add another 10k easily, care to explain why should consider it ? Are you suggesting more cores will future proof ?
If you go the other way round, money vs pleasure graph will be smoother. Get a graphics card now, the less processor intensive games will run 4k 60 Hz. The monitor doesn't have higher refresh rate anyway. Some games that don't run 4k, will run at 1440p at higher eye candy level than with your GTX 1060.

1060 doesn't saturate PCIe 3.0 bandwidth, the newer card will be able to. The new graphics card will feel constrained by the lower PCIe 3.0 bandwidth, but should still work better than now.

Given the current price situation too, graphics card prices have come down, though they will keep falling except for bumps on the way, but we can't wait forever. But cpu wise, the coming AM5 and 13th Gen might improve price situation in next 3-4 months.
I mulled over it from last 1-2 months, get a used rtx 3060 or 3070 (with warranty) but my current 4 core system is going to hold off the performance ,specially in the open world games where more cores needed. I think having minimum 8 core might be more future proof than going with a 6 core for now.
I am even thinking getting an used system for a time being with 6 core , Ryzen 3600 kind of category

i7 will add another 10k easily, care to explain why should consider it ? Are you suggesting more cores will future proof ?
It's more from future proofing perspective and having balance in the system. But yes, the difference in gaming performance is not significant, hardly 5-10%. So if you think 10k is not worth it, then you won't be losing out on much. Which is why I said if your budget permits.

Gaming is heavily single threaded and mostly better single threaded performance gives better FPS. I don't see this changing significantly in the near future. So higher core count is not going to be of much help for gaming.

Thank you for pointing that out, I thought my current psu will be good enough, I checked online minimum recommendation for RTX 3080 is a 750 watts psu, I guess RTX 4XXX might have bit higher requirements too , any recommendation ?
For primary storage, I want to get something which will be at per with PS5, that might be the base for future Unreal 5 based games. Its a hassle to change primary storage and price difference not crazy huge

I mulled over it from last 1-2 months, get a used rtx 3060 or 3070 (with warranty) but my current 4 core system is going to hold off the performance ,specially in the open world games where more cores needed. I think having minimum 8 core might be more future proof than going with a 6 core for now.
I am even thinking getting an used system for a time being with 6 core , Ryzen 3600 kind of category
I would suggest going for a 850W to be on safer side and have some future headroom. Corsair or XPG reactor or similar. Check cybenetics or https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

I'd like to understand your logic behind having an ultra fast storage. SSD improve screen load times. The biggest improvement can be seen from Hard disk to SSD but the improvements between different types of SSD like Sata, Gen3 and Gen4 is minimal at best. Unless the games you play have very heavy screen loads or you're looking at heavy file processing, the difference between gen3 and gen4 is few seconds if at all that. A 1TB SN850 is 12.k and a 2TB SN570 is 15.7k

I would suggest going for a 850W to be on safer side and have some future headroom. Corsair or XPG reactor or similar. Check cybenetics or https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

I'd like to understand your logic behind having an ultra fast storage. SSD improve screen load times. The biggest improvement can be seen from Hard disk to SSD but the improvements between different types of SSD like Sata, Gen3 and Gen4 is minimal at best. Unless the games you play have very heavy screen loads or you're looking at heavy file processing, the difference between gen3 and gen4 is few seconds if at all that. A 1TB SN850 is 12.k and a 2TB SN570 is 15.7k
thank you for the suggestion on the PSU, I will lookinto it. For storage, I think in future games will programed to take advantage of high speed storage which is already started in ps5 and xbox already. I am expecting similar trend in PC as well with DirectStorage API, hence I wanted something which is at per with ps5 storage speed at this point.

2TB SN570 is 15.7k is awesome pricing, I am very intrigued
Zotac 3070Ti
wow, your rig is older than mine..At what resolution are you gaming ?

thank you for the suggestion on the PSU, I will lookinto it. For storage, I think in future games will programed to take advantage of high speed storage which is already started in ps5 and xbox already. I am expecting similar trend in PC as well with DirectStorage API, hence I wanted something which is at per with ps5 storage speed at this point.

2TB SN570 is 15.7k is awesome pricing, I am very intrigued

15.7k is amazon pricing. offline would be cheaper. checkout some sata vs gen3 vs gen4 benchmarks to get a rough idea on the gains.

the difference between gen3 and gen4 is few seconds if at all
Given that the loading time for most games is 3-4 seconds on my sn570, I doubt the difference can be in seconds. Half a second at max.

Most games have longer intro logo sequence than the actual load time. They will have us buy ultra fast gen 4/5 SSD for instant game loading only to then have us stare at 5 second long logo animations of Ubisoft/Sony/EA etc.

Given that the loading time for most games is 3-4 seconds on my sn570, I doubt the difference can be in seconds. Half a second at max.

Most games have longer intro logo sequence than the actual load time. They will have us buy ultra fast gen 4/5 SSD for instant game loading only to then have us stare at 5 second long logo animations of Ubisoft/Sony/EA etc.
Exactly my point. The companies market the gen4 as being 40% or more faster than gen3 but 40% of 2or3 seconds is not even worth mentioning. Games like world of warcraft and total war have noticeable load times but is it worth paying the premium for few measly seconds?
I play a lot of total war games. so I looked at some total war ssd benchmarks.
check these videos.

On topic, good PSU and a beefy CPU and GPU would serve OP better than premium SSD

1440p @ 144 hertz. God of war at Ultra settings with 2K is giving me 60 to 80 frames. But I have overclocked the hell out of my 2600k. It is running at 5 GHz on Air with Hyper212 - Pull config only. Cabinet is open from one side and it is Storm Trooper.
I know that with a 5600x or current gen CPU I will get more frames. Call of Duty 2019 gives me 70 to 80 frames at Max settings with no RT. But the CPU usage is in 90% and GPU is barely touching 80%. Though GPU should be touching more than 95% and CPU relaxed. I am using Frameview from Nvidia to monitor this.

Agreed. Even I did the same while buying my 3080ti. Now I'm waiting for prices to fall down to switch to AM4 (AM5 is gonna be super expensive)

Back