PC Upgrade

meet6600

Adept
Please help me with the upgrade as I am looking to enchance and future proof my pc now with scope of upgrade path as well. Last upgrade was done in 2009 and my main usage would be

- casual gaming of latest titles genre include Racing, Action, FPS.

- mainly for surfing and office work.

- rare use of Adobe Photoshop, Flash, 3Ds Max.

- Often use of Autocad (Dad's primary requirement)

- Virtualization as i use VMware a lot.

- occasional audio video conversion.

- torrenting
<

- basic stuff of watching movies, listening to music (HD content sometimes not often)

Thanks in advance.
<
<

Questions
  • Q: What is your budget?
    • upto 45k
  • Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - AMD 7750 BE Dual Core @2.7 GHz
    • Motherboard - Asus MA378EM
    • GPU - Onboard ATI Radeon HD 3200
    • RAM - 4GB Kingston DDR2 800 MHz
    • Monitor - Dell S2209W HD
    • SMPS - Corsair CX600
    • Razer Lycosa Keyboard and Logitech MX518 Mice
    • Samsung DVD RW
    • Steel series 3H Headset
    • Belkin Basic Router
    • CM Elite 330 Cabinet
    • Labtec Speakers 4.1 (Non Functional)
    • 640 GB WD Blue & WD 320 GB Blue HDD
  • Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor
    • KB and Mouse
    • Headset
    • Router
    • HDD
    • DVD RW
    • SMPS (in case it's good enough and if not would be raey to invest as I don't want my components to be at risk!)
  • Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Confused between AMD and Intel as I need something with a upgrade path as well since AMD provided me that very well but nowadays they are not competative enough and with Intel the various sockets the upgrade path is really bad.
    • Waiting for AMD FX4170 Quad @4.2 GHz as I don't need benchmarking my PC to get those extra scores and I guess it would be fine in real world usage. Checked some reviews and found it to be good. Thought of Asus Mobo with 970 Chipset.
  • Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Next upgrade atleast 3 -4 year later.
  • Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Delhi
    • Open to online purchase
  • Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes/No/Maybe
  • Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
  • casual gaming of latest titles genre include Racing, Action, FPS.
  • mainly for surfing and office work.
  • rare use of Adobe Photoshop, Flash, 3Ds Max.
  • Often use of Autocad (Dad's primary requirement)
  • Virtualization as i use VMware a lot.
  • occasional audio video conversion.
  • torrenting
    <

• basic stuff of watching movies, listening to music (HD content sometimes not often)
  • Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Nope
  • Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • FPS
    • Racing - NFS
    • Action / Adventure
  • Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    • Gaming - 1280 x 1024
    • Desktop - 1920 x 1080
  • Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes/No/Maybe
  • Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit
    • Windows Server 2008

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]CPU-Intel i5 2500k-13.5k[/font]

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Mobo-[/font][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z[/font]-13.5k OR ASUS P8Z68-V-14.5k

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]RAM-Corsair XMS3 2X4gb 1600mhz-3.3k OR Gskill Ripjaws X 1600mhz-3.4k[/font]

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]PSU-Seasonic S12ii 520w-3.8k[Sell your CX600 and get this one][/font]

HDD-Segate 1TB 7200RPM-6k[If you're considering of getting another HDD]

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]GPU-Sapphire HD6770-6.5k[/font]

CPU COLLER-Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO-2.1k[For Ocing your proccy]

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Case-Nzxt Gamma-2.4k[/font]

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Hope this helps[/font]
<

If you're not gonna get the hdd then you can go for-

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]CPU-Intel i7 2600k-18k with everything the same as above excluding the hdd.[/font]

[NON over-clock RIG]

Intel Core i5 2500 ~11500/-

Intel DH67-BL ~5800/-

G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x 2 1600MHz ~3400/-

nVidia GTX 550Ti ~7900/- [because your father will use AutoCAD]

Seasonic S12II 520W ~3700/- [get this SMPS, dispose of the CX 600]

No need for getting extra hard drives as of now, hopefully by April prices will start heading south again.

NZXT Gamma ~3100/-

[Over-clocking RIG]

Intel Core i7 2600k ~16500/- + Thermalright Cogage True SPIRIT ~2400/- http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/17/thermalright_true_spirit_cpu_air_cooler_review/ / http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1657/7/

ASUS P8Z68-M PRO ~10500/-

[rest RIG same as above]

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

First of all thanks a lot and the suggestions do fit the bill!!

So as I can see and understand no point of going along with AMD now!! And what about Ivy bridge support?? I mean is it safe to go with z68 chipset as regards to Ivy bridge which is round the corner??

thanks a lot Jakob....so the rig is finalized now and going with Intel so long AMD!! Just 1 question is it okay to invest in SSD or some more wait is better?? In future may go for them but the BSOD's and high price doesn't go hand in hand! Just need it for booting from OS and not for storage.

Hey just forgot to mention that I want some good speakers as well so please suggest them too!!

Hi,

Thanks a lot to the suggestion for the rig and now I am going for some components. I am about to get the PC now and here is the list:

CPU- Intel Core i5-2500k

Mobo- [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z[/font]

RAM- 12 GB (4x3) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 MHz

HDD- Seagate 2 TB ST2000DL003

DVD RW- ASUS 24X

PSU- Corsair TX 650 W V2

Cabinet - Corsair 400 R Carbide

I already have and would keep My Razer Lycosa KB, Logitech MX518 Mice, Steel Series 3H Headset and Dell S2209W (Full HD) Monitor. Please suggest is it good or any changes? Also would waiting for Z77 Chipset based Mobo advisable as I can only wait max 1 month. I haven't included a GPU as I want to get one either from AMD 7XXX Series or Nvidia Kepler ones as the reviews of new kepler is really awesome! Since none is in stock so have to wait. In the meantime suggest if any trades for more performance for my gaming needs. Finally hows theitdepot.com for buying?

Hey any idea how is itdepot and I was browsing through asus website any good alternatives to ROG Series?? Something more feature rich or good??

Hey any idea how is itdepot and I was browsing through asus website any good alternatives to ROG Series??

I don't think that you will get better packages than the ROG series for over-clocking parameters and reliability.

The IT Depot is a good site based in Chennai, I would also recommend that you look into TheITWares and PrimeABGB if you are open to online purchase from other regions in the country.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Back