Pegasus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do we really need such high-level surveillance? Who draws the line between its use and abuse?

This is the reality the present government is being drawn into by their absolute dearth of the workings of the internet.
The more people there are who are involved at any level of policing on the internet. The worse it gets.

Yup. Now it's confirmed.
This shit was already floating around in India and government denied that fact. And now this leak confirms it.

And regarding who draws the line.. that's the government. Whatever they feel like will be abuse or good to use.
And if you are shocked with this.. check how china does surveillance.

So basically we are inching towards police state with China as our role model. Fair point, given that we are trying to ape in China as much as we can.
But why is the govt so scared that it has to go to these lengths against journalists, judicial members? Isn't that high-handedness. Is surveillance the price of doing one's job?

Last edited:
So basically we are inching towards police state with China as our role model. Fair point, given that we are trying to ape in China as much as we can.
I won't agree to your opinion as Pegasus is used by US and many other countries and their secret services. Pegasus is not used as mass surveillance tool. It is used as a targeted person surveillance tool. Like targeted journalist, or political activists etc.

Pegasus is not used as mass surveillance tool.
True. But Isn't it laying the foundation for another PRISM? Who's keeping track of it?
And the targetted person can be anybody.. you, me, anyone who doesn't agree with govt in general.
Surveillance against non-state actors like terrorists, rogue elements in the army selling secrets can be, it one time, considered acceptable. Against journos, activists!! Seems a bit far-fetched, I would say

Last edited:
True. But Isn't it laying the foundation for another PRISM? Who's keeping track of it?
And the targetted person can be anybody.. you, me, anyone who doesn't agree with govt in general.
The cases which I have researched I see only high profile people getting affected. If you are a high profile political person with secrets then yes you can be the target. Pegasus itself is a costly piece of software and if I am correct the person who is paying has to buy license for every device they are using it on. Let me know if I am wrong.

But why is the govt so scared that it has to go to these lengths against journalists, judicial members? Isn't that high-handedness. Is surveillance the price of doing one's job?
Since you have mentioned that we are trying to model after China, I think the same reasons would apply to our government as well. Remove all inkling of opposition and resistance. But streisand effect lol

I won't agree to your opinion as Pegasus is used by US and many other countries and their secret services. Pegasus is not used as mass surveillance tool. It is used as a targeted person surveillance tool. Like targeted journalist, or political activists etc.
So thats justified? I don't know what you want to infer by first mentioning China, then US. Now are we going to count all 194 countries?

Surveillance of Journalists is the worst that can happen to a Democracy. Its a crime.

..and if you think that you are safe coz you are not the so-called 'high profile person with political secrets', wait a few years and that wish will also come true. You want a china, you'll get sth worse than China (coz our gov can't help botching everything up).

So thats justified? I don't know what you want to infer by first mentioning China, then US. Now are we going to count all 194 countries?

Surveillance of Journalists is the worst that can happen to a Democracy. Its a crime.

..and if you think that you are safe coz you are not the so-called 'high profile person with political secrets', wait a few years and that wish will also come true. You want a china, you'll get sth worse than China (coz our gov can't help botching everything up).
Chill bro.. surveillance is never justified.
What I meant to say was.. it s not necessary that India is going to be next china. That is what I wanted to say

1626682659184.png

So the skeletons are coming out of the cupboard..
Spying on the Opposition and the govt.. Exciting times ahead.
The new IT minister's clarification seems more like foot in mouth!!

Last edited:
Just out that the Girl who accused CJI Ranjan Gogoi was also put on the list right after she accused. The rot goes so deep. Whats surprising is the urgency with which it happened. Like how is she put on it immediately after? Clearly there's a pretty good corrupt teamwork here.

The US has a fairly independent police system, CIA, FBI, not directly controlled by the govt, which is why you can see even sitting politicians get arrested and convicted. Even Trump is being investigated now and while its unlikely that he himself will be charged, many of his associates will face prison time.

The Indian police system is, on the contrary, a caged-parrot of the respective state and central govt. Therefore its like comparing Apples to Oranges. Its one thing to put known criminals under surveillance, its a different thing to put activists, journalists and members of the opposition parties who don't agree with the govt, under surveillance. There has also been reports of planting evidence on activists to arrest them under UAPA & NSA - two laws which allow detentions without producing the accused to court. So yeah, its more China system than US system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back